Supplement dosing while Fasting?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CrowZer0, Jul 4, 2015.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

A lot of supplements have split doses. Say for example a multivitamin that says take 2 with breakfast and 2 with dinner. Or fish oil were you take 1 capsule 3x a day with a meal.

So what if I was intermittent Fasting eating meal a day should have I take a full dose? In one?

Today I skipped breakfast and lunch, not intentionally I just wasn't hungry at all and had to force myself to eat around 3. So I'll probably be hungry around dinner time. I usually am. Hungrier during evenings. How should I take my fish oils? Take 2 cos I missed a meal? If I was Fasting would I take all 3 together for a daily dose?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on whether the supplement should be taken with food, or whether "with lunch and dinner" is just for dose timings.

Most supplements don't need to be taken with food.

3. CrowZer0

Most/All of mine with the exception of ZMA do.

So back to the original question. How do I take them when skipping meals?

For example is there. Something wrong with me. Having 3 omega 3s with dinner? Or. Do. I need to split the dose for some reason? Same with the multivitamins wh can't i take full dose with say breakfast why do I need the split?

4. Dead_pool

There's a limit to how much if one thing that can be absorbed at a time. Of course it depends on what multivitamins they are.

Have you tried checking the manufacture website?

Re omega 3, fat eaten at the same time massively increases the dose absorbed, so the dose guide may be to optimize obsorbtion.

5. CrowZer0

Yes I take Orange Triads for multis website says split dose into 3/3 breakfast and dinner. Or 2/2/2

What I'm trying to find out is there a reason for the split? Like you mentioned is it for absorption?

I've recently been eating only two meals or one a day. Mainly due to appetite usually a post workout meal and dinner. I've been taking for example 2 omega 3s with one meal. I want to know whether it's wasted. Same with the vits. If I took a full dosage would it be wasted?

Kinda puts intermittent Fasting or someone who eats one meal a day at a disadvantage if you can't take full amounts (my gf for example) tends to eat only dinner most days she's done this for years and simply can't eat breakfast without feeling sick.

6. Dead_pool

Really i would just take a drink of milk to replace the missing meal, and take them then.
    If your fasting, just take them on the meals your eating, missing a few doses won't matter.

But supplements aren't going to make up for missing meals long term.

7. CrowZer0

I'm not worried about making up for missing meals. I'm just a little analysis when it comes to doses or making sure I get everything I need and then some. For example am I really benefiting from Orange Triad multi vits if I dont take the full dose?

8. Dead_pool

Vitamins are kinda are meh generally, as long as your diet is halfway good.

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You could still eat healthy :p ;)

I'm not particular familiar with supplements, as I feel I really don't need them, because I seem to get everything needed by eating "normal".
    But from reading in a forum not long ago I clearly got the message, that people (at least here) are tend to not take vitamins as supplements, because it really seems to do hardly any good.
    Especially if you watch what you eat a little.
    But I only skimmed the thread, so I don't remember the specifics.

10. CrowZer0

I eat very healthy generally... My diet consists mainly of clean whole foods, brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, with good grilled meat fish chicken of steak with lots of good veg. If I do eat breakfast it's generally oats or weetabix couple of eggs and a banana, I use honey to. Sweeten. I eat clean good wholesome food most of the time. I do have a weakness for cheesy pasta bakes or maybe steak too often some weeks. And I do really enjoy the occasional fish and chips with curry sauce or a mixed grill. But most of the time I eat well, I only drink water, coffee or milk. I don't add sugar or even use it in anything. I don't eat sweets, ice cream biscuits etc I just don't crave them and satisfy sweet cravings with bananas and honey. Generally I'm quite healthy. But I do enjoy a Chinese, fish and chips or a Chicken kebab maybe 2x a month sometimes less.

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Eating like that and personally I couldn't even care for supplements ^^

12. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

IMO, if you're getting enough vitamins throughout the rest of your feeding cycle, you don't really need to supplement during a fasting window. By eating a lot of natural foods, these vitamins should already be in abundance in your diet. However, there is perhaps something to be said about supplementing with Branched Chain Amino Acids if you are training whilst in a fasted state, but there some contention about this.

13. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Unless you're showing signs of a deficiency in something, as far as I'm aware there is no evidence for the use of multivitamins and supplements, and some are believed to be potentially harmful (although that is contested)

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

15. CrowZer0

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Why are you fasting?

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I'd still try to get natural sauces of those if it's possible. Offal, seafood and sunshine.

I made a nice casserole by browning lamb kidneys, brisket and onions then putting them in the slow cooker with some beef stock. I put some dumplings in it at the end mainly cause I've never tried them.

I want to try ******s. I think ****** is my favorite word, I don't use it but it sounds so aggressive.

18. Dead_pool

You use offal as a natural sauce? I definitely prefer catsup...

19. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-1basQhX8"]Mr. Burns Ketchup Catsup Problem - YouTube[/ame]

20. flaming

flaming Valued Member

lol offal sauce mmm