Kuk Sool Hyung....

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by doomx2001, May 17, 2014.

1. doomx2001

doomx2001 Valued Member

I'll do a big post here today or in a few days. I need time to type.
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has taken time to share their thoughts, opinions, and expertise on Kuk Sool hyung. I'll type more questions and thoughts here soon when I have time to be detailed. :)

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's showing a rather old fashioned way of training, or it may just be that they're doing it solely for demonstration. If you train the combinations from forms in non-cooperative drills with safety gear, it works well and translates easily to sparring.

3. doomx2001

doomx2001 Valued Member

Question: How do I post youtube videos instead of links here on the forums? I've tried to follow the instructions on the website,but I'm doing something wrong.

4. kuksool_keith

kuksool_keith Valued Member

I have seen Hyung used in actual application, ie: attack and defend, I'm afew demos along the years. The physical application of Hyung is sometimes past over and not really taught. I do my best when teaching to try and pass on the physical application, feel it tends to help make more sense of the form and why you would do certain movements.

5. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

I have met and help teach seminars at Master Ma's school in the early 80's while touring with the Korean old guards of WKSA.From Chicago to Galesburg,Ill. ( Franks G school)

Good call on the Long Fist observation.May I suggest Hung Gar?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. Maggie

Maggie Valued Member

There is, quite a bit of bunkai, as you say, but some hyung, 108 sufferings, for instance, are at times quite symbolic, and lovely. Weapon hyungs are all application, and very little symbolism, as far as I can tell.

7. raised1

raised1 New Member

I currently train in Kuk Sool Hapkido

I train under Master Maurice Roberts. Master Maurice Roberts is a 5th degree black belt that began training in Hapkido under the Kido Association under Grandmaster K.S. Hyun in Chicago. He continued his training under Master Hyun Bae You, who was a Kuk Sool Won and Hapkido master, trained under In Sun Seo. After Master You relocated out of state, he trained, and continues to train under the founders of The World JunTong MooSool, Grandmaster Chu S. Ma and Grandmaster Beoyong Ma.

Our system focuses on the traditional practice of Kuk Sool-Hapkido, with special attention to the application of self defense. The training is centered around creating balance within self, while harmonizing with the things outside of self that disrupts the unification of mind, body, and spirit.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Nothing harmonizes a disruptive influence quite like a half brick in a sock.

9. raised1

raised1 New Member

Lol...

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Half-brick in a sock will never work in the street, stick with nails is the superior solution!

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I beg to differ...sharpened stick with dog poo on it cures the most urban related disagreements

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That doesn't feel like an official statistic, but it probably is.