Fighting multiple opponents

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Steel Accord, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

So here's a question. I know optimally you want to avoid this kind of situation but if you are cornered by more than one person, is there any hope in subduing more than one attacker before bolting?

Optimally, let's just say the number is 2, maybe 3, guys.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You cannot fight more than one person at the same time but you CAN fight one person multiple times; it is one reason a system such as boxing trumps most others in a combat situation

Can it be done? Yes
    Is it easy? No
    Is it likely? Not as much as people have you think

The best defense is prevention; situational awareness will avoid the vast majority of mass attack situations

The second best method is avoid - run like the clappers!

The third is attack and keep attacking until option 2 presents itself

Try sparring 2 people at once to get a feel for it, but try and focus on making them get in each others way

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You will need "powerful punch" so you can drop your opponent by one punch. If you can hurt one person badly and scare the others, that will be toward your advantage. You will also need good footwork so you can play the "hit and run" strategy. Also try to find a brick, rock, chair, key chain, or anything. Don't fight with your bare hand.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Define subdue.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Done it. Would very much prefer to not do it again.

Here's the problem with multiple opponents. If you grab them you get entangled, you die. If you plant your feet long enough to get off a good power shot they grab you, you die. This is not an absolute but it is by far the best way to think of multiple opponent scenarios most of the time IMO. The surroundings will of course change the tactics available and sometimes you have no choice but to strike your way out. But once again if you get grabbed you're in serious trouble.

Honestly the yoshinkan aikido strategy for multiple opponents is a good one. Videos of Shioda doing multiple person randori are a great reference. Mobile footwork, fast hits which can affect structure, keep them in each other's way, keep/get the grips off, and try to find a way out.

You're not fighting multiple opponents; you're surviving them.

7. Steel Accord

Yeah I thought I prefaced well enough that it's best to avoid even being in that situation.

I was just curious on what people had to say about this particular nasty situation and how best to approach it.

8. Steel Accord

Basically put them out of fighting shape at least long enough to run.

9. Steel Accord

So sorry that happened to you, glad you are all right.

I will give that video a look.

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxPlQGxvoy0[/ame]

Watch this. There's a short section with multiple person randori. Don't focus on the technique so much but watch that he gets the grips off, uses very limited contact, fast footwork, and tries to maintain good position so he only has to engage one at a time.

11. Steel Accord

Ohhh I see. Put yourself in a position where only one can attack at a time, get rid of him quickly, and then take the next guy. All the while looking for an opening for escape.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I'm reading an interested book. In that book, whenever the main guy has to fight against many guys (there were 300 in one fight), he just grabs one after another and throw everyone into the outer space. After the fight, when the cops come, since there will be no dead body on earth, there will be no crime.

Here is a "demo" clip. I assume to lift one guy over your head and throw him on top of other guys can be a good skill to have.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzhNtPHFj5I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzhNtPHFj5I[/ame]

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Gotta love the vu and his zoning, especially when he picks up the ashtray.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

That is probably a little bit too audacious, best to just jab, move, jab, move, jab, run like a shower of proverbial when able.

16. ShogunGall

ShogunGall Valued Member

In Kyokushin we did a drill where it was sparring (with gloves on though), but instead it was one person vs two. The one person had to move around so that they could effectively made the two attackers get in the way of each other. This allowed the one person to take on one attacker at a time, and because they positioned themselves (whilst the attacker was trying to reposition) it would allow the defender to land a solid shot or two and prepare for the next attacker (or reposition again).

The lower belts (such as myself) would create a lot of distance and tire themselves out, meaning they got out-maneuvered by the two attackers. However, the higher belts were good enough that they only needed to take a few steps to put the attackers out of place, and from their they just landed some really powerful shots against the attackers who were 'out of position'.

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Send to sleep ? :)

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I've been attacked by multiple people twice, once when 16 by 4 but I'd only done childhood judo, couldn't do much about it, second time knocked out by group from behind with I think pool ball in a sock and lost left eyesight, once was at a fair the other a pub fight, so I'd say staying away from dodgy places is the best option

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Did some multiple opponent sparring in Krav the other day. Without the option to leg it (we were training indoors so no wide open spaces), the result was more or less the same: the defender got swarmed and kicked to fudge as soon as more than one person got hold of them (some people managed to successfully defend the initial attack when it was 1-v-1, but that was about it). The advice here is spot on: situational awareness and good footwork are your best assets.

20. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

It does depend on the situation.

Years ago I saw a fight start between 3 drunk lads against one.

The one absolutely dismantled them by using footwork to line them up as mentioned by other posters.

The first 2 got a serious smacking and the third made a half hearted attempt and took a few jabs for his troubles.

They all left bleeding and swearing.

Turns out the guy on his own was a sober semi pro boxer.

He got hit a couple of times but they were poorly timed shots and didn't seem to slow him down :)