3 weeks in the RP

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by LabanB, Jul 19, 2015.

1. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi All, I'm back to the Philippines in November for three weeks training. Plan at the moment is 1 week each in Manila (7-14), Cebu (14-21) and Moalboal (21-27).

I'm in the early stages of arranging training with GM Rodel Dagooc, GM Berdin, Doce Pares HQ.

Any suggestions/contacts for further training in Manila and Cebu?

Also, anyone recommend any of the knife makers in Batangas?

Cheers

Bill

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

If you are interested I can direct you to a couple of my acquaintances who teach kalis ilustrisimo and lightning scientific arnis in Manila.. In Cebu, you have a few balintawak guys

3. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi Kuntaoer, thank you very much. I'll be arriving at 11am on Sunday the 7th, so was planning to go to Luneta park straight away. Contacts with KI and LSA would be great. I've got very basic training in Balintawak under GM Tonying (Faustino Patilingnhug), so I would like to continue when I go out there :)

Cheers

Bill

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  4. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

The knife makers in Batangas are only about 20 minutes down the road from Mang Rodel Dagooc's place, going towards Taal. Mang Rodel is definitely the best place to get sticks.

Another good place to get blades would be Sword Rubio in Pangasinan. https://www.facebook.com/SwordRubio

5. Diego_Vega

Manila is the place to go if you want high quality instruction in Kalis Ilustrisimo (in it's various forms -- i.e. Kalis Ilustrisimo Repeticion Orihinal, Bahad Zubu, Abenir Kali, Rapido Realismo. etc.), Modern Arnis (also in various versions) and Lightning Scientific Arnis. There are other excellent teachers that don't belong to those groups as well. I can either PM you names or just name them here if you wish.

6. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Names

Thank you Guro Vega, I think if you can name them here, with contact details if possible, would help myself and others who are going to Manila for training. :)

Sadly Rodel Dagooc is heading to Russia just before I arrive, but I will be training with his son, Gethin.

Cheers

Bill

7. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

8. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Laban,
    I would recommend going to Luneta park while you are there.. I can recommend jerry evangelista from mangangman eskrima who lives in bacalaran and GM Vic Sanchez who lives in Valenzula (spelling).. I have made contact with Master Jaime Quianza who is a kalis ilustrisimo instructor with training under Yuli Romo for decades.. I'll make contact with some of my other contacts and get more specific information to PM you

9. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Lunga park

I arrive at 11am on Sunday the 8th, and I'll be going straight to Luneta Park :) Any direct contact info would be much appreciated.

10. Diego_Vega

Luneta is still the best place to find a lot of different systems. Master Henry Espera's Rapido Realismo Group is just past the stairs coming from the parking. A little bit further down, near the statues of the caribao, you'll find Master Tony Diego's old group now led by Masters Peachie Sanguin and Arnold Narzo. There are other teachers in and around there at times like Master Yuli Romo and Master Martin Raganas, all from Ilustrisimo.

The other groups practice across the street, just past the Rizal Monument in the Chinese Garden. There is an admission to go in, but it's cheap, only about 10 pesos (25 cents?). Master Rodel Dagooc's group practices there, as well as Master Ronnie Royce Base and others.

Aside from the above, other teachers who aren't usually at Luneta, but are definitely worth looking up if you have the chance are Bong Abenir (Abenir Kali), Isigani Abon (Rapido Realismo), Bert Labaniego (LSAI), Romy Santos (LSAI), Romy Valenzuela (LSAI), Vic Sanchez (LSAI, Modern Arnis, Cinco Teros), Bot Jocano (LSAI), Nathan Dominguez (LSAI), Rene Tiongson (Modern Arnis), Crisanto Vasquez (Modern Arnis) and Phil Buena (Buena Mano Arnis). I don't have contact information at hand, but they shouldn't be difficult to find via the internet. Some are more internet savvy than others, while old-timers could be found through their senior students (ie. Master Bert Laganiego, through his senior student Orly Junio).

BTW, Kuntaoer, Master Vic Sanchez is teaching out of Valenzuela now? Last I heard he was still at the Marikina Sports Complex. He's not there anymore? Sometimes I still see him at Luneta. Both Marikina and Valenzuela are out of the way, but I'd much rather travel to Marikina than Valenzuela.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Sorry,
    He is in Markina, I confirmed this with one of my fellow instructors here on island who just got back from the Philippines where he trained with Mang Vic

12. Diego_Vega

Do you already have accommodations? If not, I can make some recommendations.

13. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

I have limited Internet at the moment. I have accommodation sorted for my the in the Philippines. Butcthank you.

14. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Bert Laganiego/Orly Junio

Hi Master Vega, neither of the above are showing up on Facebook. Do you have a website address at all?

Cheers

Bill

15. Diego_Vega

Let me see what I can do. Bert Labaniego and Orly Junio right?

16. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

GM Labaniego + Orly Junio

Yes, please.

Thank you

Bill

17. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Orly

Hi Master Vega, I have made contact (via FB) with Orly.

Thank you again for your help.

My time out there is looking more and more interesting :)

Bill

18. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Orly sends his thanks for your reccommendation :)

Bill

19. Diego_Vega

Ok, you beat me to it. Great. I'm glad you got in touch with Orly. Sorry I couldn't get you any information sooner. We're in the midst of dealing with a typhoon right now. Hope you all have a great time.

20. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Take care.

Bill