First lesson, Karate of all things!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by slickoneuk, Jun 30, 2012.

1. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Howdie all
    Just popped in to say hello.

Kickboxing has always been my thing, muay Thai to a point but always that style of thing. As I am getting older I am craving more structure, an art if you will. I am not turning my back on kickboxing its just not me anymore.
    Anyhoo, had my first karate lesson tonight, was excellent. I am like a fish out of water, low stance, a definate way of moving, turning, punching and kicking.
    That's it really.
    Hope everybody is keeping alright, later peeps!

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nice one man. Always good to get out there and experiment with other styles. You could even find that it becomes over time your primary style. Nothing wrong with broadening horizons. :)

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

How do the white pajama's feel?

:p

4. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Good luck and enjoy the karate burn. Used to be pretty sore in the beginning when I studied karate.

5. slickoneuk

The pj's are good in that bad way, if you know what I mean!

6. slickoneuk

Yep Slip, a little bit of strange! I want to learn the art

7. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Its like one of those things you almost dislike yourself for liking... its ok. We'll still respect you. Kinda...

Seriously though, good for you man. Good for trying something new. Hopefully you'll get some good stuff from it!

8. slickoneuk

Cheers Mikey, I must be geting old!

9. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Brother... you and me are PASSED the 'GETTING' part, lol...

10. slickoneuk

Too true, too true!

11. slickoneuk

I really don't care if it does not work in a real world situations, or if its not good for self defence etc. for that I will rely on the good old kick in the stones followed by the boot to the head and ruuuuuun!

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

nice! which style of karate?

13. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

karate peeps dont all wear white pyjamas! :)

when i did kenpo karate for 2 months in 2009 before I became a pureblood shotokan karate we had black ones.

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Um, hang on a minute. Karate is awesome. It's not like a "guilty pleasure" or something. Karate rules and people who do it are gods amongst men.

15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Why thank you Moosey. Nice to know I'm a goddess. :)

16. slickoneuk

Shotokan. As somebody who is used to the kb way of things, this horse stance etc is a killer on my legs!

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

18. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Shotokan makes you the king among kings. Me, Moosey and Bassai pretty much run this place behind the scenes. I would include JWT, but he doesn't follow the Gospel any more...

19. slickoneuk

yep, enjoyed the first class. We did some sparring. It was hard to not spar in a kb way and I almost clinched and knee'd somebody. The look of suprise on his face was priceless. Oh yea, when you block a round kick by using your shin and smiling as the bloke has tears in his eyes, hey ho. I will have to force myself to be karate for a while until it becomes natural.

20. slickoneuk

Schweeeeeet as!