Building cardio fast

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zerodauto, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

After doing my second amateur fight and losing my dad who was working my corner pointed out that although I am good, and i could have beaten my opponent, my cardio killed me. I'm not going to lie, I don't really do any extra cardio out side of TKD class. We sometimes jog around inside the school, but it's not enough to really show any significant progress. We also do jump rope but still it's not enough. I want to build my cardio as fast as I can, while still being safe. So I come here to ask, how to quickly build cardio level if at all possible to build it quickly?

2. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Sparring, and bagwork comes to mind.

3. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

Thanks, I also have no problem with during real running and doing more with the rope, any recommendations for that?

4. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Well the way I see it running/jogging, skipping, rows, cycling etc, are good for cardio. But since that is usually low intensity exercise it doesn't really carry over into fights or sparring where you make explosive movements it comes closer to a high intensity match. HIIT involving some bagwork and plyrometrics as well as just sparring for full duration rounds would probably be your best bet. I have not trained in TKD but I assume training for most MA's is similar when it comes to cardio.

5. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

Thanks, I'll make sure to spar more often and use the bag more.

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

No problem buddy. Projectswole.com has some good examples for HIIT routines. Be creative, I'd suggest makin each set the length of a round.

7. SolidX

SolidX New Member

The most simplest solutions in my opinion will be the most effective. Such as jogging,running,fast sprints,rope and bag work.

8. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

I think Tony has it right, above. You need explosive movements, and interval training "short bursts of speed", within your runs are the best and quickest way to develop fitness for fighting. Sparring for four minutes if your amateur fights are three is a good way of training, or adding another round or two on at the end. Good luck in your next fight.

9. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Tony's completely correct mate. I don't know what you're school looks like but from experience, most TKD places I've seen don't train particularly hard. Too many of them are family based clubs or based on points sparring for which the training really doesn't need to be intense. Now, you haven't said, but I assume you're fighting amateur kickboxing? If you don't get any padwork that looks even remotely like this then you need to make some serious adjustments..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e7oWbHa3kA"]YouTube - Kiatphontip Gym Training Compilation .wmv[/ame]

for running you need a mix of long slow runs and high intensity sprints. Skipping is good for keeping the weight down but not much else except warming up for a session. train in rounds a minute or two longer than those you'll fight in and make sure that every time you hit a bag or pad, you do it like you mean it. I don't mean with a bit of power - I mean make every single shot like you want it to kill someone. Some circuit training at the end with, as tony said, good plyometric and core exercises are very good as you want to build up your fast twitch muscle fibre - not loads of useless, bulky and stiff muscle. Fast twitch muscle fibre is what makes you react with speed and power.

If you're not doing even one of these things then you're giving away more and more advantages to your opponents, most of whom WILL be doing these things.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hill sprints. In sets.
    So a 500 meter sprint X5 with 1 min break in between.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

what length of rounds do you fight, how many rounds do you fight and when is your next fight, how often do you attend class and what are those classes like?

All those things are important to consider before giving advise out

12. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

Usually they are 3x two minute rounds, next fight is feb. 26th. I usually go to class about two or three days a week, but it's not limited, my master would like us to attend everyday, something I think I should start doing. Besides the long runs and sparring class is what everyone's recommendations are. I think that I also need to start learning to use my TKD in the ring, because after replaying the fight over and over again in my mind and comparing it to my first fight, I realized that I try to out box people who are better boxers than me instead of making them fight my fight and try to out kick me. I'm going to start going out for runs ever morning if I can and get to class everyday I can. We do sparring but the only time we can really go all out is during belt test. So after I warm up before class I'll start going a few rounds on the heavy bag. Should be starting to work out and train with a friend of mine that does muay Thai soon also. I also greatly appreciate everyones advice. It's very helpful and it makes me feel better to know that I can improve with the right conditioning.

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Aye you can make the length of your interval training 2 minutes long with a one minute rest. I would also suggest heavier sparring then what I've seen in TKD classes, I your MT friend is willing and you both have protective gear it would be a great idea to spar with him for 2 minute rounds like a normal fight. Just remember to be safe and have a qualified supervisor/ref incase things get out of hand. I say this because I lost a best friend to silly backyard boxing matches we would have back I'm highschool. Now that I think about it we werent exactly safe about what we did. But seein as you're amateur I don't see a problem with sparring with your MT friend. Have him do HIIT with you as well, it's easier to motivate yourself when you train with a partner.

Edit. Stupid iPhone, I hate autofill I gotta start proof reading all my posts.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  14. Master Betty

Honestly? I wouldn't try to fight like a TKD guy if kickboxing is your thing. Yes, don't try to outbox a boxer but at the end of the day, most of the people you'll find judging amateur kickboxing come from a boxing background.

If you really want to think of the future then I'd say get yourself along to a good boxing gym and cross train.

15. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I notice in the vid above that they are all wearing full size gloves, even when using the heavy bag. I assume this is to allow you to become very at home with full gloves on

16. Master Betty

Typically speaking in amateur kickboxing in britain you'll fight with a set of 10oz gloves below 70kg and 12oz above. In thai boxing its 8oz and 10oz. I train with a set of 16s for sparring, pad and bagwork because it makes me much faster and more powerful with the fighting weight gloves on when the time comes. You should ALWAYS train with the gloves on.

17. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

We actually learn boxing punches at my school.

Yes, I always practice with full sized gloves, and what ever other safety gear I will have to wear.

18. Master Betty

Learning boxing punches is a far cry from learning boxing. That's exactly WHY you're previous two fights were against better boxers than you. Most kickboxing gyms these days that stic kto above waist only are basically glorified boxing gyms - thats what scores really well in the amateurs.

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You wouldn't train for a baseball match by playing test cricket :). If you want to fight under kickboxing rules you need to train for kickboxing, not TKD. For now, arrange to train under the appropriate ruleset with anyone who will spar with you.

For the future, if kickboxing fights are what you want to do, go train in kickboxing.

Mitch

20. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

I just want to one day fight in K-1. So I'm getting the experience fighting in kickboxing with international rule set, rules . The only difference from the rules that we allowed to do was leg kicks to inside and out of legs, just no direct joint attacks.

As I said earlier, my dad said I was good, he said if I had my cardio up i could have easily won. He's also not the type to try and make you feel better, he's not afraid to say I told you so and put it in you face.