If you're looking for an indie school

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu Resources' started by bujingodai, Dec 23, 2008.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

If you are looking at a school, that happens to be independent of affiliation with the larger group you need to be careful.

There exists a pretty decent network of "indies" and if you are not sure post it here. If someone here doesn't have experience with them. We can send out the appropriate emails to find out if they are a solid school with good training facility and intentions.

So if you want to know. Please post.

2. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Would this be a good thread to introduce people to the indie school environment? I have to be honest and say that I don't really know too much about the indie scene. I'm definitely interested in hearing more about it, though. :cool:

3. bujingodai

I gather it would be a good thread yes, I posted some videos as well that had many of the indie groups in it, that may also help when asking.

4. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Cool. :)

I guess one of my first questions would be how many different flavors do indie groups come in? The videos show some different approaches. Any common philosophies or training approaches between the indie groups or are all groups unique in "flavor"?

5. bujingodai

Well some of those groups are Aikibudo as well. The JBK focuses on combative arts. But yes there are flavours, some of them are very athletic and gymnastic, such as warriorquest. Some are pragmatic to their approach such as our school. Groups like the Godaishin are super hard core with their Japanese etiquette and training regimin. Etc. Take Ways of the winds, mostly they get camped for the Ninjutsu when they have some very excellent Aikijutsu practioners under the tree. I'll post some vids, but his school is represented in those vids, as is the Nindo ryu, my school, Godaishin, Saito Ryu etc etc.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  6. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I thought I recognized some Aikido-esque movements in some of the clips. The "ragged on" thing is getting a little old, honestly. Do all the groups you've listed have a common Ninpo related theme or is it a mix of philosophies that are Ninpo-esque in nature?

7. bujingodai

There are a number of them with a similar theme yes. Others are quite different. Like I said it is of the combative arts, and I can see the Aikido accent there as well, or Aikibudo.

8. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Hi Bujingodai.

What advantages do you think training with an 'indie' group has over training with one of the more mainstream organisations?

9. bujingodai

Well for me personally.
    I find as a rule the etiquette is better, the brotherhood between the schools is better and more open minded.
    There is a lot less political infighting and backstabbing.
    Your exposure to more eclectic systems and then to develop opinions on it. cross training is great. Hey no problem with seeing someone do it better in their system. You could learn from it

There is an indie Tai Kai in Bethlehem PA in May.