Kenpo/Kempo Roll Call

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Korpy, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Say what style you train, name of your dojo, your rank, where youre from, and what you like about Kenpo.

Chinese Kenpo
    Wright's Self Defense
    White Belt
    Illinois
    I like Chinese Kenpo because it's fluid, has alot of good techniques, and is good for self defense and for combat sports. (my teacher is also a certified Kickboxing coach and Sub. Wrestling coach)

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

As every other style has its own "check in" thread stuck to the top of their forums, so is this one :)

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thanks Anth. :)

C'mon Kenpoists, sound off. ;)

4. youngbraveheart

youngbraveheart New Member

What Kempo?

I'm a student in the Chow/Chun System: Go Shin Jitsu Kai Chinese Kempo, located in Northern CA. I'm an orange belt.

There are too many reasons for me to list why I like "my" particular art style of Chinese Kempo; one outstanding reason is that the self-defense techniques we're taught leave us so very close to the attacker(s) - inside and direct. Another reason is that we don't have to memorize numerous names or tons of numbers of specific self defense techniques.

BTW there are less than ten blackbelts in "our" Chinese Kempo history going back to William Q.C. Chun Sr.

www.chinesekempo.org

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

what kempo?

Shaolin kempo under the cerio lineage/ kempo jitsu kai east coast under professor kimo.
    We also have MME/Hagannah/Thai boxing added as well.
    My reasons:
    Been studying since 1997, love it, and have used it to defend my self quite a few times.

6. Florian Lang

Florian Lang Valued Member

I study the Ed Parker American Kenpo system at Red Dragon Martial Arts Studio, and am currently a white belt.

As for what I like about kenpo... it's the only stand-up style near me? I'm doing it out of necessity, not choice. I need stand-up... *shrugs*

7. TnJudoplayer

TnJudoplayer New Member

Ryu Kyu Kempo
    Makotokan Dojo
    Tennessee
    1st Dan
    I train because it's something I enjoy doing. We also empliment everything wwe find usfully.

8. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

almost second degree.

9. Raven001

Raven001 New Member

Tracys Kenpo
    Professional Self Defence
    Victoria, Canada
    2nd Dan

Got into it because of the Perfect Weapon but I have moved on to JKD as I no longer live in Canada. Still love kenpo but feel it needs to start really incorporating "Alive Training" in all drills not just occasionally

10. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

style: American Kenpo Karate-Ed Parker mixed w/ principles from Kung Fu, Aikido, Tai-chi, Jiu-Jitsu, Shotokan

place: Nick's Karate

likes: practical, formal art yet streetfighting-esque, well rooted art

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  11. RyuTerp

RyuTerp New Member

Ryu Te Kempo, Taika Seiyu Oyata's organization
    2nd Kyu
    Virginia
    I like the system because I believe it presents a well-rounded approach to self-defense including striking, grappling, joint manipulation, etc. I also value the attention paid to the details of footwork, spacing, timing, and strategy. And lastly, the instructors in my dojo are all highly experienced and excellent teachers.

12. Steve Banke

Steve Banke New Member

Chinese Kenpo

Style: Tracy Kenpo

School: Powell's Way of Kenpo, Brookfield IL.

- Kenpo at my school is much more considered a way of the warrior life rather than just the art. We also do Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Tobudo Aikido, Muay Thai, Philipino knife fighting and Wrestling. I love my Kenpo and how it is practical and to the point everytime. The strikes are effective, the fluidity is impeccable and it can be done by anybody.

http://www.wayofkenpo.com/hmpg.html

13. RoninCelt

RoninCelt Valued Member

Synthesis of Shaolin Kempo (Villari/Cerio/Pesare/Gascon--depending on who you talk to) and Jimmy Woo's Kung Fu San Soo, most recently under Bill Lasiter. Fifteen years total (it's kept me off the streets). Now teaching through a community center.

14. jazzmasta25

jazzmasta25 New Member

American Kenpo
    Combined Martial Arts Academy
    3rd Brown
    Missouri

Kata

15. CVKempo

CVKempo New Member

Shaolin Kempo (Villari / Cerio) w/ many other influences
    3rd Brown
    Chippewa Valley Kempo
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I like the Kempo system because it is alot more practical for real life situations. The system is also a big step up to what is in the area (helps to have a very knowledgeable instructor with a lot of information to draw from).

16. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

Sullivan's American Kenpo
    shodan
    woodsville and littleton,n.h. usa
    i like the system,very practical and fight oriented
    good people to work with

17. densho

densho New Member

Formerly Tracy Kenpo and learning some American Kenpo.
    From Tracy Kenpo school in Lexington,KY. The name was changed (so I hear) and I don't know what it's called now.
    First degree black belt from Lexington branch. Recieved second degree while I lived in South Carolina.
    Also influenced by Jeff Speakman and "The Perfect Weapon".
    What I enjoyed about kenpo was the chance to learn a lot of different things. Now I am trying to condense the material into what I use more. Also liked the private lessons.

18. Spargoanj

Spargoanj New Member

Shaolin Kempo Karate
    Avon Kempo and Aikido Academy (recently joined Professor Kimo Feliciano Ferreira's Kempo Jutsu Kai, and by recent I mean maybe two or three months ago)
    2nd Dan under Dominick Violante and Jeanine Ryan Violante
    Connecticut

I got into Kempo at the age of 14 when my father remodeled a space that was going to be used for a dojo space for my instructor. After taking about two classes, I was hooked on martial arts, and have been ever since. I am still active in Kempo and I am also a big time newbie in Kyokushin karate. It would be hard to say what it is about Kempo in particular that I like, I just think that in it's true element it's a devastating self defense oriented martial art, and I mean that for all Kempo, not just my style.

19. Spargoanj

Spargoanj New Member

Well I don't see an edit button but I need to edit my post above, so I'm just going to add this. Apparently even though we're loosely affiliated with Professor Kimo I need to correct that our entire school is part of the Kempo Jutsu Kai. I found out yesterday that we are NOT full representatives and will not be teaching the curriculum at our dojo, unfortunately. I am not very happy about this but I don't run the dojo so it's not my call. :(

20. RussianKenpo05

RussianKenpo05 Valued Member

Shaolin Kenpo
    Great grandmaster Ralph Castro's Kenpo Karate,
    Daly City, CA
    1st Deg Black

Started kenpo at 5, as just a way to exercise. I soon learned about exactly how practical it was on the street(getting bullied in elementary school, until about middle school where I dispatched a few bullies....it all stopped). Also, it has the perfect blend of sparring, traditional forms, and experimentation needed to truely understand the different elements of an art. I am 20 this year, so that will be 15 years in training and I hope to continue for years to come.