Ropes! (S&C stuff).

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bozza Bostik, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Battle (vomits) ropes...which I will call 'ropes' for the rest of this post.

I've recently joined this pretty decent gym that has a whole bunch of strength and conditioning /crassfit type stuff. I was looking around today and taking note of what they have and what would be fun to mess around on. They have ropes, but are they really worth using as part of S&C training? They look like they could be fun and might break up the routine and all....but besides that? Worth putting in a routine?

I like the look of the sleds!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'd certainly use them.

For a martial artist drills like you'd do on the ropes replicate the sudden intensity bursts you get with hard sparring.

You'll use all muscle groups at once and it'll get your lungs burning in no time.

3. Bozza Bostik

*liked* (Come on Mods...get out of the cake cupboard and sort out that like button)

Ok. If you'd use them, I would too! ;)

I wasn't sure if they were actually useful or just a gimmick.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It all depends on what your goals are, they can be useful for certain conditioning purposes, normally used in conjunction with other methods for aerobic base building, they are one of the few upper body conditioning methods around.

As with all things strength and conditioning wise your goals will dictate the methods used.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thanks Icefield, was hoping you'd give your opinion on this.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Also saw you have access to a sled, jealous!

To be a bit clearer on what I meant ill use the sled as an example.

Want to use the sled to develop max power and explosiveness load it up and do short explosive pulls drags,
    Want to use it for recovery, load it light and drag it for time (eccentric loading only great for recovery) 30mins minimum.
    Want to use it for aerobic power building load it fairly heavy, do short sprints 5secs etc with recovery of a minute or so.
    Want to use it to develop aerobic base load it light move to get a sweat for 5mins, then switch to the battle rope for 5mins and repeat for time. Going from upper to lower dominate exercises whilst keeping the heart and lungs working

In the above the outcome dictates how you use the implement.

It's the same with the battle rope, want hard anerobic work short timed rounds fast explosive work

Want to use it to recovery from a hard upper body workout, shorten the ropes and go slower for longer rounds times

7. Bozza Bostik

Thanks.

At the moment I don't have any goals. I have some health issues, so my only aim is to see if I can actually start training and to what degree. I bloody hope I can or I've just wasted 18 euros on 13 months at the gym! :)

I'll probably look at Starting Strength in a few weeks or whatever. Seems a simple enough thing to follow.

I know you're one of our experts on S&C, where do you get your info from? Can you recommend any good sites or whatever?

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Strength building wise cant go wrong with starting strength or 5 ,3,1 from wendler.

For more in depth understanding I prefer Mike Tuchscherer’s stuff for strength work but that’s the powerlifter in me, and what he talks about ref Auto-Regulating Intensity simply makes sense.

As does Chad smiths JTS stuff, he has some nice free videos on the science of strength building
    For example how to design a strength building block
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIInwyXIfA

Conditioning wise anything from Dr Stephen Seiler’s Polarised training stuff is a great read for anyone looking to improve aerobic capacity (and from a health point of view who wouldn’t want to do that)

He actually backs ewverything he does with case studies and science and real world examples, very unique in that regard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf3tczZrUgs&t=227s

Joel Jamisons stuff is still hands down the beest conditioning work for MMA and martial arts I have ever seen, and his book has a very nice write up of how to build strength as well.

He wrote a thread on sherdog which should be required reading for anyone into MMA S and C, its over 100 pages but read his posts (EZA's) and you can gain more free advise for building your conditioning than you will anywhere else

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/how-to-finally-solve-your-conditioning-problem.788235/

9. Bozza Bostik

Thanks for that.

Had a glance through before I watch and read it a little more carefully, interesting stuff. No worries about the 100 pages...it's -20 and below here, so I'm not going anywhere for a few days!