Adjustable Kettlebells

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

first one would be my choice, but seems to only have a single sleeve, which would eventually prove annoying. second one, might as well make a t-handle out of old pipes for probably half the price. still, i know there's a version of the one in the first link that is actually designed for strength athletes and so should prove more practical/durable/whatever if the plates are compatible, but i don't remember the name nor know which types of plates it accepts. will look into it and get back to you.

3. Frodocious

Brilliant. Thank you. :)

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

OK for swings, but you're not going to be able to get it into the rack position comfortably for any other exercise are you? Not sure I'd want a knurled grip either, given how much the handle needs to shift in your hand for some movements.

Mitch

Edit to add: you could just get one of suitable weight then move to 1 handed swings once you were used to it? Half a dozen sets of mixed exercises with a 20/24kg bell is more than enough for most, and it'll only cost you £30ish.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And that first one, where the bar sticks out sideways, is going to have very different balance and weight distribution to a "standard" kbell.
    The more weight you put on it the more the centre of balance will shift away from the handle position.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It has a threaded bar for plates on both sides, so you could maintain balance. In the force.

Mitch

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You and your "facts"!
    Frodo needs one of these in her life...

[​IMG]

8. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

9. Fish Of Doom

derp, my bad, i hadn't seen the first one had two sleeves. unless you plan to swing ridiculously heavy (which you should :p), first one will probably be the least annoying to use considering plate location unless you use really wide plates (being short = pain in the **** when swinging anything plate loaded), although in the long run, a DIY T-handle as in the link above is generally the better choice (as you can custom-make it to the exact dimensions you need, particularly for the grip, and for the plates you have available). if you get a t-handle, don't make it too long or you'll need to stand on something to give it room to swing through.

10. Fish Of Doom

also the ones that are specifically for really heavy swinging for strength athletes and such are far more expensive (found one from a UK seller for olympic plates, but it was 75GBP. probably worth it in terms of quality, but still a fair bit expensive :p)

11. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

If you're just looking to go the cheap route these come in a variety of sizes, can be filled with water, sand, or a combination thereof to adjust the weight, and only require that you remove the seams from the handle. They've similar proportions and set up to the blocks used for Chinese stone lock training.

[​IMG]

12. Frodocious

Cheers folks. I'll take all suggestions on board and consider my options. :)

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

A part of me died when Dan John fell in with Pavel and the KB craze

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's highly likely you'll buy this, won't use it, and buy a real kb afterwards.

I bought a few entry level kbs for a pound a kg, including delivery on eBay, from base fitness.

15. Dead_pool

16. Fish Of Doom

not if one wants to do this: https://www.instagram.com/p/838iehv3K4/ like one can with a real T-handle :p

17. Dead_pool

That's a terrible swing, admittably with more weight then I can squat.

18. Fish Of Doom

swinging more than bodyweight by itself already changes the mechanics of the movement quite noticeably, anyway :p