fight percentage

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Jul 13, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Just interested how many of you had to use you various skills in real life situations? As I feel martial art give you a sort of protective confidence aura around you so thus reducing risk of confrontation

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Probably about 10%?

That's not including situation de-escalation and the "confidence" of pulling off the moves. Its not like I was toe-to-toe, ring ready etc. It was more grabbing/bear hugging and dragging people away.
    The most technical move I've ever done really was a twisting belly to back suplex. I had a plan of wrapping up the arm as well but by then my fellow security colleagues had dived on me.

In regards to your thoughts of "protective aura". Personally (and that might be the way I'm reading it) but that can be a dangerous thought. Martial arts is not some magical shield that can prevent you from confrontations.
    i admit, that at a point in my life, because I trained and been through some adversity, I had some arrogance. I wasn't belligerent, I just had the thought that with the "general joe public" I knew that I would win if things got physical. So I would be dismissive to anyone being confrontational to me.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Personal? Maybe 10%

Professional closer to 30-40%

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Well it's weird but I'm 6foot and big built, before doing any arts, I'm 45 and last time I was attacked I was 15 yrs old at a fair, by 4 divs

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Did you do a Sharpshooter on anyone? And if not...why not!

Me and a mate of mine nearly did the 3D on a shoplifter back when we worked in [insert name of a corporate retail store here].
    :p

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

If you count martial arts techniques and de-escalation my numbers will about match Hannibal's.
    I would say 100% of the time though. One of the big things I think martial arts has given me is and improved bearing (posture, voice tone, bodily awareness) which results in better compliance and personal interactions in both my personal and professional fields.

7. Hannibal

Single leg boston yes and a Million Dollar Dream

Actually sort of "Rock Bottomed" someone once too

8. Hannibal

My numbers are purely physical...add desecalation and it goes to about 75%

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'd subdivide that 10% and say that a good percentage of them probably didn't necessarily need to use their skills...

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm close to about 2%. I never get in fights :p

11. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Me neither I'm so laid back sometimes people think I'm dead

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

What I meant was does the confidence of your training sort of radiate a don't mess with me thing

13. Pretty In Pink

Nope. More often than not I just apologise profusely and feign the "you are superior" position.

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

"Feign" is a telling choice of words.

You don't have to prove yourself because you know you could smash them.

Let baby have his bottle. You've got bigger fish to fry! ;)

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I just don't speak to people, seems to work for me

16. Pretty In Pink

Well it use to feel embarrassing sort of bowing down to other people but I think that's because I was still insecure about my own skills in fighting.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Exactly.

The more insecure someone is, the more they have to prove themselves and dominate others.

The more confident you are, the easier it is to walk away, because you've not lost anything by doing so.

18. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I haven't been in a fight in nearly 20 years. I'm 34 now.
    I don't know that I'd call the few fights I got into in middle & high school "real" fights.

I can only recall 2 well:

- Guy who I didn't get along with was in a ****y mood (found out later) and walked up to me in the school hallway with 2 friends who flanked me. I was against a wall with no where to go (his friends to either side, wall behind, him in front). He walked up to me and cussed at me and shoved me into the wall. I asked what his problem was (in slightly more colorful language), and he basically said "you" and shoved me again, I told him to shove me again in that "and there will be consequences" tone. He shoved me again, I grabbed him and slammed him back into the opposite wall, we scuffled for maybe 30 seconds, both still standing, back and forth across the hall slamming each other into lockers and trying to get someone down to the floor, then a teacher broke it up. His friends didn't jump in. (Not really a 'real' fight--if it hadn't been broken up it may have turned into one though.)
    My graphing calculator in my backpack had a shattered screen after; we both got hauled into the principle's office, and the other guy basically said "It was all me I was in a bad mood and just took it out on him for no reason," and he (well, his parents) replaced the calculator. (I think we were both 15?)

2) I was in 5th, 6th, or 7th grade, not sure which.
    We had just had PE, which that day involved a game of dodgeball. There was this one kid who (as far as I could tell at least) was deliberately trying to peg me in the nuts at least 3 times, and succeeded once. (He & I didn't have much interaction, many years later I think he probably wasn't actually aiming for my nuts, but I was picked on a lot at that time and tended to view things differently.)
    I approached him in a hallway later that day, there were maybe 5 other people around who didn't interfere.
    I asked him (aggressively, I imagine, though I don't actually recall now) why he was pegging me in the balls. He basically told me to **** off and shoved me, I shoved him back, he hit me in the stomach/torso, I shoved him again hard and he went to the ground, I got on top of him and didn't do anything else, just told him not to mess with me again (while holding him pinned down), then got up and left.

So aside from 2 stupid-kid fights where no one really got hurt at all, I haven't been in any fights.
    I'm a big, strong-looking guy. I don't imagine many people who see me think "oooo I wanna go pick a fight with that guy".
    I don't forsee myself in any self defense situations in the future.

That said, you never know. I figure if I learn a bit better how to defend myself with MA, great. But my main focus is on fitness + learning--I enjoy learning to do martial things with my body, and that helps me stick with it as a fitness thing too.