good punchbag fat burner

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Jun 20, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Getting a new punchbag Monday, any tips for good workout apart from constantly punching and kicking it

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yep.

My first tip would be to use the bag correctly, rather than just throwing loads of punches to get into the cardio fat burning zone.

For that additional lung buster at the end of a bag workout you can try the following, or at least adapt according to your own fitness.

Swing the bag away from you slightly and throw short, light and repeated punches to keep it away from you.

Do that for one minute.

Take a break.

Repeat for 45 seconds.

Take a break.

Repeat for 30 seconds.

Collapse on a heap on the floor.

You could also try some 30 30 30 drills.

Here's a clip I did years ago on the pads, but you could adapt for the bag.

30 seconds of real good technique. Balance, good guard, hands high, head movement etc.

After 30 seconds go straight into power shots. Every shot with intent and power.

After 30 seconds go flat out for 30 seconds. no stopping whatsoever.

Take a rest and repeat.

3 rounds of 30 30 30 is a killer.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuJJI2xQc4"]30 30 30 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You could use the podcast below to give a structure to your bagwork, but as Simon says you need to think about what you're working on when hitting the bag, and pay attention to guard, footwork, angling etc.

Have fun!

http://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/content/bag-workout

Mitch

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I always thought the punch bag never got me tired. Rick gave me a 2 minute lesson and by the end of it I was clutching at my chest try in to breathe. This was about two weeks before I was due to fight. A real eye opener.

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Cool, cheers, looks like what I felt like after my first hour of JKD:)

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Thanks guys, will let you know how knackered I am, also class on Monday so double the fun

7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Beat me to it, so I guess I'll just second this... :D

Travess

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Outside of the burnout drill - rapid 1, 2's for 30sec, 1 min, working your way up to 3 minutes [​IMG] - one of the more taxing cardio-wise drills I recall from boxing class was the Ladder.

Starting with the jab - punch 12 times, slip and duck, hit 11 times, slip and duck ( you have to make the opponent a REALITY ) all the way down to one jab, slip and duck.

Next, the cross - 12 times, etc, etc. - they need to be meaningful shots - as if you were in a bad fight - your ducks need to be done as if death were approaching in the form of a right cross. When you slip make it side to side, forward and back, pivoting, bending your knees, etc. as if there is a person with very bad intents throwing at you.

3rd ladder a 1-2, (that's a jab, retract to guard, then a straight right done 12 times) slip, duck, rinse, repeat for 11, etc., .

It will wear you out, lol!

Begin changing levels, incorporating 3 - 4 shot combos, ( if you can go from 12 you're superman, otherwise start at 3 or so ) then counters such as a jab or overhand right after the imaginary slip.

Sounds simple and easy but I found it war exhausting - eventually you're too knackered to do anything but try to keep your chin down and punch towards the blurry object that might be the punching bag.

There's literally no end to the hatefulness one can have on those god-forsaken things

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  9. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Cheers guys, I will attribute my last 21lbs weight loss to you guys :)

10. belltoller

[​IMG] Good luck! You're going to start lifting, as well ( saw you post in the lifting forum )? Just get ready for some almighty horrid hunger pangs that might ensue.

Tip: Don't stay up late. The cravings are far worse at night and do the worst damage, fat-wise, if you do give in.

Cheers,

BTW, if you haven't acquired one already, procure yourself an interval round-timer that lets you programme the rests and so forth. Don't try to guestimate - that's very important to making quantifiable progress with respects to endurance.

11. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Thanks to all, this sounds great I'm not a fan of running as I have a,dodgy knee. So intense stuff is better. And more time efficient

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Cheers, hadn't thought about timer, I'm using an expander as opposed to lifting and seeing better results

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Just got an app now, cheers

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Did the 30 30 30, need to adjust times as its not a heavy bag, say 60 60 60

16. belltoller

3 full minutes is not bad at'tall starting out. Even on a lightweight double-end bag.

Who ever came up with the 30 30 30 had to be half genius and half sadist.

One can go flat out for a longer period than you'd initially think because the body becomes accustomed to the pace and sort of 'tricks' your mind into taking imperceptibly lighter and lighter shots but still on the surface one is maintaining the high tempo. It balances the speed increase by reducing the power.

You can also deliver power shots over a relative long time span as your system learns to recover in between the hard punches. Again your body tricks the mind into giving it what it needs. This time by putting more time in between the punches. Your body tries to maintain equilibrium by offseting the power requirement at the expense of a reduced volume of strikes.

In either case, the body learns to adapt by compensating in some way - by cheating.

The 30 exposes the parlor trick by forcing the system to deliver power just at the time when it wants to save face by keeping up the volume at a very diminished power output.

If you've ever been really winded and gasping while sparring, you'll find yourself instinctively moving away from your partner so you can catch your breath - all the while you are trying not to let it show, trying to mentally suppress your diaphragm from giving you away but that is the moment your opponent chooses to engage and if you had not been so knackered you'd have seen it the perfect moment to tag him.

But now you've to ward off, to escape - move, duck, slip, trip over your own feet while backing up leaving you too exhausted to even notice he'd thrown his hands down - much less deliver a foot-pivoting, hip rotating right. Its a vicious cycle.

Its like being in a state of half-drowning - just barely enough energy to put your head up and spit out the water for a breath but then exhaustion pulls one under again and again and again. LOL

Thats the 30 30 30
    :D