The ultimate fitness combat class

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mangosteen, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Forget boxercise or community centre krav maga.

Real conditioning comes from tiny pieces of kitchen appliance shaped metal used in dorky exercises!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHdB1uxKi0Y#t=157"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHdB1uxKi0Y#t=157[/ame]

Props to folks being active but this is genuinely the issue with the fitness industry - everyone is an expert but nobody knows why they are.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

hey, it's basically weighted dancing with low intensity strength training moves mixed in. if done right i can actually see it being a fun and effective pursuit for general health (and bear in mind that i consider dancing to be the triple-hitler-antichrist).

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I like Marmite, and I like cheesecake, but it doesn't necessarily mean I should put them together... Or should I?..

4. Mangosteen

You could be on to something fantastic here...

Chess-boxing seems like fun.

I wonder what other combinations we could do... Kali-Zumba?

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Kali-zumba sounds great!

How about Iaido-trampolining? Advanced classes could be blindfolded and with a live blade. Not sure there'd be much repeat business

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Taekwondo-figure skating? JKD-skydiving? Capoeria-axe throwing? The possibilities are endless!

On second thought... skimpy outfits, multi-twirling spin moves, Mitch's love of mankinis :eek: all TKD needs is the skates :evil:

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If it gets people moving, I have no real objection.

8. Mangosteen

dangerous use of kettlebells?

9. holyheadjch

where?

10. Mangosteen

just wondering if you thought so. i have no experience with kettlebells so im not in a position to judge but you mentioned your objection to jillian michaels was because of dangerous use. is anything in this video on par?

11. holyheadjch

No, they're not really using them as kettlebells and the bells they are using are really light. It's just aerobics with small kettlebells instead of pink dumbbells.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I have a lot of colleagues (mostly female) who go to these sort of classes. They enjoy it and ask to compare it with my training. Unfortunately I do admittedly come off as sounding quite derisive, as I said that if you do any fast paced or light weighted workout for an hour, then yes of course you'll be tired/sweaty but at least do it more than once a week. The point being 'at least you're getting off your bottom'.

So I see lots of "body combat" classes, one class ran parallel to my MT class and it was literally, generic MA moves to rhythmic dancing. God only knows what the students were thinking when they glanced over to the other side to my class.

I want to say that PT's are making their money and they are catering to a market where people want to train a certain way, but (correct me if I'm wrong) don't we have a go at McDojos for doing the same thing?

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I see a lot of PTs that need a PT. :evil:

14. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I wouldn't say the activity offends me as such but it's just seems a bit silly realy when you could pay a similar price for a normal kettlebell class and probably get more from it. Or for that matter most MA classes or even boring old circuit training sessions.

People like to try and reinvent the wheel with fitness fads and if it gets lazy ppl active great but I think its more likely to just be the same ppl who would have been doing something else any way.

Suffice it to say i won't be joining in but it's not the worst thing out there by a long way.

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Seen a gym in Wolverhampton set up this way. At the top about 6 fighters, supporting them maybe a few hundred non combat Muay Thai fitness folk together will kettle bell classes & a huge fitness gym
    They get exercise. the fighters have a top quality training place
    I think it's the future

16. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

The only thing that annoys me about those is
    - So what do you train?
    - Kickboxing.
    - Oh, you mean fitboxe, right? [that's how they call it here] Boxing for girls?
    :rolleyes:

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

protip: that's when you kick them in the leg.

18. Moi

Why should it matter? Doesn't effect your training?

19. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Nope, but also flies annoy me, and they don't affect my training either. :p

20. Moi

Relax more :)