kicking exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

just asking if i kick really slowly with weights strapped on, is that dangerous?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

There's a guy at our gym who uses weighted anklets while shadow sparring, he doesn't seem to be having any issues and isn't putting himself or anyone else in any danger either.

I would say start light and see how you feel. I'm sure someone with more experience in this form of training would be able to guide you better mind.

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

the weight btw is 1.25 kgs each

4. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

really shadow sparring? so it doesn't injure him or his bones?

5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm full speed kicking or just slowly in a way?

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

That kind of weight is absolutely fine to shadow spar with, even fast. Obviously you might want a few slow practice kicks with the weight on to get the feel for the movement and how even a couple of kilograms can alter your centre of balance, but there's no reason why they can't be used fast with shadow sparring at all. The only bit that's risky about it is if you have bad technique anyway, which is actually the problem, not the weight.

7. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahh so unless i'm using a bad technique with weights then it's considered dangerous?

8. LemonSloth

If you're using bad technique, then it's bad for you regardless of if you have weights or not. Any time in the past I've hurt my knees with kicking has been purely down to bad technique, with or without weight.

If you have good/usable technique, then there's no significant reason to consider it dangerous at all with the weight you're suggesting. The only time I've had issues was with bad technique and 4kg per leg.

Alternatively, light resistance bands do a great job as well.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  9. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ouch! so it won't stun growth? My mother has been on my case on this.

10. LemonSloth

There's no reason to believe it would, no.

11. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

I used to kick with ankle weights on. I never got any injury, but they were kind of a nuisance , I find it fine to kick without them.