Medicine ball to the stomach

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stibbins, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Stibbins

Stibbins New Member

In my gym we sometimes do conditioning by dropping a medicine ball on our stomach. It this a good way of conditioning?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

From what kind of height? I don't really like dropping medicine balls, because it is difficult to gauge the impact. I prefer having someone slap you with a thai pad or to just have them kick you.

3. Stibbins

Stibbins New Member

We lie on the floor and the ball is dropped from waist height. We do it every few months to condition of stomachs to take punches.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Doing something every few months isn't exactly the way conditioning is done.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I like medicine balls for conditioning but like Ero said, doing it only every few months isn't going to do anything for you.

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

We used to do that most every week with medicine balls. For new people we dropped from just a few inches and built up as they progressed. We also used to stand facing each other and throw the ball at each others stomach and chest as well as punch and kick each other on a regular basis. All together it was a great conditioning program but I couldn't say about any one of them separately.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you do exercises that have allowed you develop a very tightly knit phalanx sir.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I prefer having a partner punch you because it's easier to tell them to either go harder or softer.

Here's a video I shot recently for MAP describing how I do it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtx8WEhHwY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCEvC8J27lX6ns2hNgY3zUQ"]Conditioning and Body Shots - YouTube[/ame]

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That's my favorite too, Simon. Pretty common among knockdown karate styles to add in drills just like that to prepare the body for hard punches.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

thai crunches are good too

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In my MT class, we do partnered sit ups:
    Partner holds pads whilst you anchor your feet on.
    Sit up - 1,2
    Go down: Partner punches your body 1,2 or double hooks

Or you can go via the JCVD Kickboxer route.. coconut from a tree.

12. Alex MH

Alex MH Valued Member

For body conditioning is better to be body sparred by a partner while lifting your hands and elbows to your waist level. That way you can ask your partner what level if intensity you are comfortable with.