Rehydration supplements / Drinks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, May 11, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Is there any supplement I can add to water to make my own rapid rehydration drink? I got a bad foot cramp about 2/3 of the way into my training earlier tonight. It was pretty embarrassing, couldn't move for about 10 minutes. I had the runs yesterday and with me sweating a lot was too low in sodium/ electrolyte levels.

I'm a bit prone to IBS and the runs so would need to prepare for this over the warmer months so although this was the first time at this gym I think it likely to happen again.

The only really helpful/on-topic thread that is recent is this one, but most of the products are drinks I've never heard of so probably not available in the UK. The drinks are okay but expensive, if needed more frequently. I know it's possibly less than some people spend on protein supplements though I have been considering a little bit of post-workout supplement too.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Salt will work. Water at room temperature not chilled helps as well

IBS sucks hey. Developed it a couple of years ago due to stress. Having to get up extra early to go to work is no fun.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. Princess Haru

how much (table) salt would you add to say a 500ml bottle of water?

I think I have enough salt in my diet, I add a fair amount when boiling water to cook veg, rice, pasta. In my workouts I usually drink 3/4 to 1 litre of water from the gym water dispenser. It is chilled

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. Moi

Not sure, google is your friend. I have way too much in my diet to worry as I'm a smoker that likes to taste my food

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Sodium_Salt.htm

I think you can get sachets to add to water from chemists. Sports drinks contain the stuff so buying in bulk from a cheap supermarket or the likes of Home Bargins might bring the costs down

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  5. Princess Haru

The nearest advice I can find is approx a quarter teaspoon full per quart (a bit less than a litre). I'll try this with some fruit flavouring on Saturday see how it goes :)

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Moi's idea is a good one. If you don't like drinking salty water, Myprotein do a bottle of electrolyte tablets for about £6 you can just wash down in one mouthful. Shout if you want a link to the product. I used to get serious cramps as well and I started taking them for this reason.

7. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I can't verify that the ratio is correct (for perfect isotonic) but I use 50% water 50% fruit juice with a pinch of salt to sort me out after very long runs.

'tis good.

8. Princess Haru

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Simple Gatorade works well too. Back when I played lacrosse in high school, I was getting some serious heat cramps in my calves due to low electrolytes. Gatorade solved that problem.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This ^. It's a standard recommendation in a lot of sports nutrition books for DIY sports drinks.

11. Princess Haru

I could try that too. Saturday afternoon session is when I really sweat, more of a mixed bag of stuff, more cardio, more reps of any other lift I didn't do in the week, more kettlebell, more dumbell, but then less stress, less IBS, less runs

12. Moi

Bag of peanuts before training?

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

And a banana (for the potassium) after training.

14. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Very easy, watered down gatorade.

15. righty

righty Valued Member

There are suggestions above for home made stuff.

If you want something commercial and easy you can buy powerade and gatorade power (and a bunch of other brands) that you add to water to dissolve and drink. For cramps it's worth trying one that contains magnesium as this can help with cramps.

Something that mixes like this are the easiest to manage. I just put a tube in my gym bag in the summer and add it to my drink after filling it up at the gym. There's a bunch of other options at the site and I think UK gets free shipping from this place too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zym-endurance-electrolyte-tablets/

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

ASDA do a sache of science in sport ellectrolyte powder for a quid, or a tub of the powder for 8-9quid.

aslo the chemist sells one, just go in tell them you have IBS and buy the biggest pack they've got.
    its called Diecterol or something similar, i cant remember its name.

I get some every summer, its dirt cheap and only needs about 200ml to desolve.

17. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

worth a try at that price steve, cheers for the info:cool:

18. Princess Haru

Alas the only Asda in my area don't sell these tubs of electrolyte powder. :mad: Shame as I had some little cramp aftershocks during/after an hour and half of technique practice earlier tonight, popped into Asda on the way home as its just around the corner. They do sell protein powder though

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I use unrefined Himalayan rock salt. I get it from the local health food shop. It comes as small pink crystals and one or two in a large bottle of water hits the spot.

Moi's tip of not drinking cold water is a good one. Water does not get utilized until the body until it is heated to body temperature.

Just a few pounds and lasts for ages.

20. Moi

Try Asda online?