Ninjutsu terms and definitions

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu Resources' started by sshh, Aug 6, 2004.

1. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

The kanji for Kumogakure Ryu looks to be 雲隠流 or Hidden Cloud School.

Hidden Shine School, as stated on the athlonedojo page would probably look like this; 光沢隠 (Hidden Sheen or Koutakugakure), or 輝隠 (Hidden Radiance or Kagayagakure (?) )

This is from my limited japanese ability. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, including my own posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  2. Blatzis George

Blatzis George New Member

Hanbo justu Uchi kihon kata

Please can somebody explean to me.
    The meanings af the Kyu ho Uchi of the hanbo
    what is:
    Sukui uchi
    Han kaeshi uchi
    Katate furi
    Migi Hachi ji katate furi
    Tsuki kaeshi
    Tsuki do furi
    Katate Furi men Uchi
    Zu kikaku uchi

3. poryu

poryu Valued Member

HI the kanji for 'Mon' is incorrect.

it should be the kanji for gate 門

Ten mon 天門
    Chi mon 地門

4. poryu

poryu Valued Member

5. Miran

Miran Valued Member

6. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Hi

Tenmon Chimon is regarded in many aspects as seriously high level study in Budo. ot all ryu had it and in some cases it was a compeletly seperate study.

t was a neccesity for the strategists to either know it or have some one in there team.

Its not as mystical as some thing in fact it is very regional and is still used today by people who live in the wilds or for instance farmers.

Those who live in the countryside may have noticed farmers look up and make some comment that it will rain this afternoon and it does. The country bumpkin thats goes 'leaves turned early this year - were in for a bad frost'

This is tenmon chimon.

The most famous one is red sky at night shepards/sailors delight etc etc. i am sure we all know this one. That is a great example of Temon.

When you refer to the sky, clouds, birds, rings around the moon, etc thats tenmon, when its the ground, the soil, grass trees, insects etc thats chimon. Most of it is region so for instance whats used in a hot place like spain is no good in Iceland.

I have done an extensive study on this subject and its almost endless.

There is nothing within it that is associated with religion, mystism or any form of personal spirtual belief

7. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Kyuho Uchi (nine methods of striking)

Sukui Uchi (Sorry don't have the kanji for sukui but did find "scoop" or "dip" in the dictionary for the kana すくい. Uchi means strike)
    Han Gaeshi Uchi (Half Turn Strike)
    Katate Furi (Sigle Hand Swing)
    Migi Hachiji Katate Furi (Figure Eight Right Single Hand Swing)
    Tsuki Kaeshi (Thrust and Turn)
    Tsuki Do Furi (Thrust and Body Swing)
    Katate Furi Men Uchi (Single Hand Swing Head Strike)
    Zu Kikaku Uchi (Tip of the Demon's Horn Strike)

If you have Hatsumi Sensei's Hanbojutsu Juttejutsu Tessenjutsu book all 9 are shown.

8. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

掬う is scoop (su ku u)

9. George Kohler

I'm sure that is what the technique's meaning is, since the technique looks like your scooping. I was just reading Hatsumi Sensei's book which only had "sukui" written in kana.

Sorry, forgot to explain what these 9 strikes were. It appears that these are the Bujinkan's basic strikes while using the hanbo. I suggest that you ask your instructor on how to do these strikes. In the Genbukan we have some of the exact basic strikes with similar names, but there are others that we do not use.

10. George Kohler

I received several e-mail asking me if the names of these strikes are called Kyuho Uchi. I do not know the collective name for these and in Hatsumi Sensei's book it does not give a name for these. I should point out that in his book Kyuho Uchi is it's own waza and is maybe two or three techniques after Zu kikaku uchi.

11. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

Has it really been two years already?!

Just popped back on to see how this thread was doing. It is apparently quite popular because I am seeing my definitions used in others' dictionaries all over the internet.

I can't find my original sources with the kanji and I've seen disagreements elsewhere on this, but is it "hoken juroppo" or hiken juroppo" ?

One would mean "treasured fists" the other "hidden fists"
    If I could just see the kanji...

12. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Fairly sure it's 'hiken'.

13. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Hi

In the original Japanese Tenchijin it is 宝拳十六法 Hōken Jūroppō

宝拳 Hōken - Treasured fists

14. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

Yeah, I got that Japanese Tenchijin around here somewhere. . .

Thanks, Paul. I know you've done your homework.
    The confusion comes because so many places say things like: Hoken Juroppo = The sixteen hidden/secret fists. I look at that and think, "no, 'hidden fist' would be hiken.." ??

Would anyone be interested if I expanded this to include definitions for the ryuha kata names?

E.g. I've been trying to come up with a good way to explain seion = "living sound?"

15. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Hi

Please dont take this the wrong way, but Hiken would not mean 'Hidden fist'.
    HI as you say is 'secret'. It does not refer to 'Hidden'.

I would be interested in your interpretation on the names, I know a few others on here who have done some research in to the names and there meanings

16. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

Right, but you know what I mean: That's the sort of thing I see on other people's websites and whatnot..

Hidden would be kakushi 隠し

(However, the dictionary I use does give both 'secret' and 'hidden' as meanings for 秘 (hi) but of course, it depends on the context)

Best I could do is look at the kanji and think of something that makes sense. I'll put a little list together and let you guys make corrections.