Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Styles > Western Martial Arts
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 09-Nov-2016, 11:51 AM
likes to butt heads

Serious question, for a change - what's the level noise like?

I imagine having metal whacking on metal all around you must be like being inside a bell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Medico View Post
Because there's more to life than grammar,there's spelling,and punctuation!
Quote:
Unique little snowflakes all melt the same.
Old 09-Nov-2016, 12:34 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand86 View Post
Serious question, for a change - what's the level noise like?

I imagine having metal whacking on metal all around you must be like being inside a bell?
Not as bad as you would think, I noticed it the first time but was so full of Adrenalin too notice, I was trying not to get hit in the head through. There is a felt or quilt lining so I assume that helps dampen noise.
Old 10-Nov-2016, 09:49 AM
Valued Member

1000 pounds is quite a bit at once alright. Although I know what I would choose between that and a car. And its better for the environment...

What differences (or similarities) do you find between throwing in armour and out of armour? Are the entries into the throws different or the 'hinge' (where the opponent's body meets yours as you throw)? How do you, or do you, adapt 'kuzushi' from your JJ (?) experience to Bohurt?

Sorry for all the questions, its something I have been curious about for a while (after following a few HEMA channels on youtube).
Old 10-Nov-2016, 08:50 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy View Post
1000 pounds is quite a bit at once alright. Although I know what I would choose between that and a car. And its better for the environment...

What differences (or similarities) do you find between throwing in armour and out of armour? Are the entries into the throws different or the 'hinge' (where the opponent's body meets yours as you throw)? How do you, or do you, adapt 'kuzushi' from your JJ (?) experience to Bohurt?

Sorry for all the questions, its something I have been curious about for a while (after following a few HEMA channels on youtube).
That is something I will have to let you know later Pointy as I am still pretty new to the sport and still looking at how to adapt my throws to armoured combat. I have seen a lot of reaping type throws in training i.e. Ouchi/Kouchi Gari ect. I have seen a few opportunities for Uke Goshi when tied up in the clinch but its something I need to experiment with.
Old 11-Nov-2016, 12:29 AM
Valued Member

Thanks Dan, good luck with the training.
Old 11-Nov-2016, 12:28 PM
Back on the mats !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan93 View Post
That is something I will have to let you know later Pointy as I am still pretty new to the sport and still looking at how to adapt my throws to armoured combat. I have seen a lot of reaping type throws in training i.e. Ouchi/Kouchi Gari ect. I have seen a few opportunities for Uke Goshi when tied up in the clinch but its something I need to experiment with.
Bring armour we will try at dojo ..Smurf

http://www.stainesjujitsu.co.uk/

How long does it take the average person to become a black belt?:: An average person doesnt earn a black belt.
Old 11-Nov-2016, 06:22 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansmurf View Post
Yes! This would be good Smurf. Would have to get there early as takes a while to get into.

Will have to wait until I get all my armour together which should be in the new year.
Old 13-Nov-2016, 01:57 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansmurf View Post
Update on this. We did a big wrestling in armour session today mostly working on grappling whilst pressed against the lists in group fighting, Encouraged to turn side on and work to the outside and dropping throws like tai otoshi were emphasised rather than throws that start front facing i.e to prevent getting grabbed and tied up with an opponent which is a bad situation. Saw this in action when one guy got hurt in sparring when he was pulled down and took a kick in the face from another opponent earlier. Some other mean tactics taught like holding the guy similar to a standing on belly arm bar to expose the weakness to inside of his arm armour to strikes from your team.

Plenty to work with Smurf in the new year as will have my armour complete by then.