Feel like I am doing the wrong type of training for karate

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by viccles, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It might be better to look at training in the gym as being focused on what's going to keep your body strong and healthy through your karate training and everyday life at this point. One of the best advantages to lifting weights or doing circuit training isn't initially the augmentation to the skill set you want it to benefit, but rather the toughness, durability, and endurance it gives you that allows you to train harder and fatigue less.

Building a more durable body is going to transition over to martial arts training in 50 different ways no matter what you're focusing on in the gym. However if you're still fairly new to the style you're going to reach the goals you're looking at by focusing on correct technique and then learning to incorporate power and speed into those techniques. You'll be surprised how much faster and stronger a punch or kick gets after you've thrown about 10,000 of them as hard and fast as you can.

From what you've written about what you're doing, you seem to be doing just fine. For most people it's more important to focus on stuff they enjoy doing in the gym, and not what they think is going to benefit their training in other areas. The latter is usually very focused, involves a lot of knowledge, time, planning, and often incorporates unrealistic lifestyles for the average person. We can't all follow the regimens of athletes : P. That said, specific training that you're looking for would probably be a necessity later down the line when you've reached your capacity in training (which takes years to do anyways).

You've had your insides removed (you weird cyborg human 0_0), and are rebuilding everything. Keep it basic and keep it fun, and start doing little bits of research here and there to prepare yourself for later physical goals (which you're doing by this thread alone!) And whomever told you squats don't help karate clearly doesn't know squat! Squats help EVERYTHING. xD

Most importantly though, just keep training. Keep doing karate, keep weight lifting, get the proper nutrition and rest, keep your insides in your body, and you're going to see yourself benefit tremendously just by remaining disciplined in the basics.

2. Ero-Sennin

And Crisco melts on hot and steamy surfaces :love::love::love:

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Like my pecs

4. Ero-Sennin

Or like each one of my chest hairs that burns with the heat of a thousand suns. However, my heart is colder than the deepest, darkest abyss so the Crisco tends to keep its gel like nature when I lather it on. :dunno:

(I would love to see viccles' face after reading the last three posts)

5. viccles

viccles Valued Member

It looks something like this....:eek:

6. viccles

viccles Valued Member

Ok I've been rejigging with accessories...how does this look?

OHP
    Bench (3 sets)
    Assisted chins/Lat pull down (3 sets)
    Biceps (3 sets)
    Triceps (3 sets)

Bench
    OHP (3 sets)
    Push ups (3 sets)
    1 arm dumbbell row (3 sets)
    Bent over row (3 sets)

Deadlift
    Squat (3 sets)
    Hamstring curl (3 sets)
    Back extension (3 sets)
    Seated med-ball twists (3 sets)

Squat
    Deadlift (3 sets)
    Hamstring curl (3 sets)
    Back extension (3 sets)
    Weighted sit ups (3 sets)

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

If squats don't help their karate, then their karate is bad.

And if they have any doubts, they can go play with anyone in the IOGKF who does serious hojo-undo and see how they fare :p

Re: the routine, looks good, but you seem to have two series of two consecutive upper and lower body sessions. You could probably stagger them and perform better in all of them because you won't have as much specific fatigue from the first session when you do the second one; more so given that you have accessory work for supporting muscles afterwards. Also, I would personally use planks for time rather than weighted sit-ups, but that's just personal preference, as they're simpler and will actually strengthen your hip flexors in a lengthened position rather than risk shortening them.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

On Paper your routine looks fine, but the question is how often are you lifting in a week, and how often are you training your Karate? A 4d day a week split is fine for someone just looking to train powerlifting (even then it might be too much) but I'm not sure it's optimal for someone whose primary aim is karate training? But without knowing your weekly routine it's hard to say

9. viccles

viccles Valued Member

Karate 2-3 times a week lifting 3 times a week so would do the 3 day option of 5/3/1. I used to do 4 days but it was just too much to fit around the karate.

Thanks Fish - I will swap out the weighted sit ups for planks. I do planks already but just thought I'd change it up. I don't want to shorten my hip flexors - I'd say they are pretty short as is!

10. viccles

viccles Valued Member

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The only real difference is this template doesn't have conditioning and the other one you posted from defranco does, its still lifting three times a week, two upper and one lower

Not sure what you think is different about it?