Training for 13yr old

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bigreddog, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hi All

My son is 13, and is a football goalie. He has restarted hockey in the last few months and really enjoys it, but is finding the running about really hard (compared to being in goal at football). He wants to 'get fit' this summer for next season and I'd like to train with him.

He's not overweight, not yet had the teenage growth spurt / puberty / whatever.

Is there any point in him weight training yet? I know there is no point in little kids doing it, just wondered if anyone here had advice. I fancy doing some weight work but if we want to train together it needs to be something we'll both benefit from. Otherwise it's going to be mostly running and some callisthenics I think

Thoughts?

Best,

Alex

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I cannot wait for the day when I get to train with my son....well more than just perfect-plex him onto the couch anyway

Callisthenics are great for a growing body...and a grown body...and a mature body actually!

He is hitting the right age for picking up some weights, but rather than get a home set join a decent weightlifting gym and get him coached early. Strength is a skill like any other and the right training will make a massive difference

Do you have any "Hockey fit" training coaches near you? They will be able to tailor the training accordingly

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

There's nothing wrong with it but if his goal is to get better at the running around bit then I would say do more related conditioning. Hannibal's suggestion is a good one if you're after the weight lifting.

My personal recommendation is pretty much always cycling as a base. For very little investment you can build strong legs, muscular endurance, good cardio, and it's pretty fun. Combine that with some running (hiit and long distance) and sport specific work to train the more lateral movements and he should be off to a good start.

4. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Thanks guys. Just for clarity, its field hockey not ice hockey (just in case you Canucks got confused :) )

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I knew that....*whistles innocently*....:)

The same still applies though; find someone who knows the sport and construct a program accordingly. Too many do a standard "weight program" which, whilst yielding results, will still not be getting the best out of the training for the purpose

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Yeah.. me too :whistle:

7. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Pull ups chin ups pushups and sprints. Weight training is fine at 13 if you have knowledge with it. I see adults get hurt with bad form. I can't imagine how it could mess up a still growing young teen.

8. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I knew you guys would be wise enough...

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Draw a circle in the garden...

Fight club?

10. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Ha!

Tried that - he has no interest in crushing others (although I have taught him to punch).

But suppose he roughs me up?

11. Knee Rider

Ha fair enough! We can all be despicable sociopaths obsessed with bodilyvharm after all ;)

Have you/he considered running/cycling for fitness. I personally rate running a lot (although I can't seem to fit it into my week anymore) and cycling could be a good father son activity if your knees can take it?

12. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Its good to know that you are concern about your 13 yr boy athletic future. Go for progression run work out. Its a good idea to increase your running stamina. You have to start with a slow pace running and then progress towards a hard and fast effort. The pace and distance will change according to your training goals. This workout highly helps you to increase your physical and mental strength plus stamina for running. Cycling is also a great idea no doubt.

13. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

As you know I'm not exactly long distance runner shaped, so that's out. (Although getting him to run laps of me would be a good workout!)

I keep thinking about cycling but I'm not very keen

14. Knee Rider

He can run laps of the park and do intervals while you eat crisps, drink cans of cheap supermarket lager and go on MAP from your supervisor's deck chair? :weightlifter:

15. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

We have a winner!

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Plus: He will learn self-control.
    Either by not taking away your foodstuff or by not jumping you and knocking you out, for eating that while he works out.

17. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

No problem dear . you can also try a runner machine at home. or you can also make a routine jogging that will also helpful.

18. neems

neems Valued Member

You could cycle and he could run,i'm considering that as an option for my son,just so I can keep up.

Those terrible 2's are very difficult period :bang: