Hypothetical question about cardio

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Hi all,

At the moment I am wrestling once a week, doing BJJ on Saturdays, going for a light jog in the morning, and lifting free weights 2-3 times a week in between. However, I have discovered a gym just round the corner from where I work that caters for all three things, so I am thinking of signing up once my current contract comes to an end and cutting back on the weights in favour of more grappling sessions.

Now, this new place is an MMA gym that also offers boxing and Thai boxing classes. Although I am more interested in grappling, by taking the additional striking classes I could get about four hours of training in per day.

So I was just wondering... do you guys think the extra striking classes would suffice as extra "conditioning" training for the grappling, as opposed to just going running? Does that question make sense?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I prefer my conditioning and cardio to come from pad work rather than running because it is more applicable to fighting. Sprints are still good though.

3. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Running hard for long distances makes you a cardio stud.

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

^^This^^

The more applicable to your training goals your cardio is, the more relevant and functional it will be.

Bottom line, I do not think that a long distance runner would really see any benefits from using a striking/grappling workout as their main source of cardio. Conversely, what direct benefits would a striker/grappler get from bogging their cardio down with a heavy amount of running? I'd suggest very little, when weighed against the alternative options available to them.

FYI my Cardio does involve a lot of running, but I include it despite it's inefficiency, only because I enjoy 'switching off' and pounding the pavements for an hour or so.

Regards,

Travess

5. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Heavy bag work would be a good asset. Weight training, calisthenics, and partner focus mitt drills would suffice.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think you'll run anyway, just because you can. Maybe not as often but you're a funny bunch you runners. You appear to like it?
    Sprints, hill climbs you'll be at it :)
    At first the stand-up will kill you :)

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on how the classes are run, but yes and the change of pace will kill you untill your used to it, but in a good way.

But still hit the weights once a week min as there excellent for injury proofing the body, and eventually you may want to readd in a long jog once a week to build lung capacity.