Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Health And Fitness Section > Training Logs
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 02-Mar-2017, 10:09 AM
Valued Member

Wednesday 1.3.17

stretching/ yoga
(tai chi) slant flying fajin practice

One of the poses that I do a lot of is Half Lord of the Fishes Pose - Ardha Matsyendrāsana. This is great for opening up the hip area and getting a good stretch across the glutes, an area where I really need the help!

raisedspirit.com

Last edited by cloudz; 02-Mar-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-Mar-2017, 09:59 AM
Valued Member

Thursday 2.3.17

no particular order

push ups
plank to push up
wall walk to handstand - not very good at this yet, but I'm determined to get there!
hindu squats
jump squats
hard sprints OTSpot
hopping

kettlebell
double hand swings
single hand alternate swings
figure 8 squat
swing cleans
shoulder press
turkish get ups - left side felt weaker, something to work on here.

stretching

raisedspirit.com
Old 06-Mar-2017, 09:51 AM
Valued Member

Friday 3.3.17

standing meditation
loosening exercises
various neigong
tai chi long form x 2
stretching

Sunday 5.3.17

loosening/ meditation/ neigong
tai chi long form, middle frame
bagua, 2 x mother palms. single & double palmchange.
swimming body exercises
ILC basics; frontal, horizontal and sagital planes

heavy bag striking, 2 rounds
running

raisedspirit.com
Old 10-Mar-2017, 09:42 AM
Valued Member

Hey,

Had a horrible cold since my last training, just feeling a bit perkier today. haven't felt like training but have a session tonight with my coach. He's been away on holiday so it will be nice to get back to it.

Now spring is in the air I feel like it will be a good time to start getting some more BJJ under my belt, it's something I've been wanting to do for a while and I don't think I can let myself put it off any longer. It's a tricky one as I want to get back to a bit of ILC too over the spring and summer. Sam Chin is in town soon, so I really need to get some personal practice in before that, so my basics are not too rusty. Am only doing 1 workshop day 18th March.

A few other bits i'm interested to do this year is a neigong day with Serge Augier in London coming up in May. And I'm also quite keen to make it to the MAP Meet this year.

raisedspirit.com
Old 10-Mar-2017, 05:30 PM
Will : Mind : Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudz View Post
Half Lord of the Fishes Pose
[...]
I... I don't know how I feel about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade80 View Post
Occham thinks your beard needs a trim.
Old 10-Mar-2017, 06:07 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Of Doom View Post
I... I don't know how I feel about this.

It's preferable to the "Luca Brazzi Sleeps With the Fishes" pose.

No comin' back from that one!
Old 13-Mar-2017, 10:57 AM
Valued Member

Hey all,

Friday 10.3.17

Loosening exercises
standing postures
stationary stance translation exercise (vertical circle). Translation means to shift ones weight between ones feet. This exercise teaches a circular path rather than a linear one. It's also in preperation for push hands patterns that you can also practice this vertical circle between the legs.

Fixed step push hands patterns x 8, both sides and including some transitions.
4 x 5 minute rounds of fixed feet free pushing. 2 x in orthodox stances both sides. 1 x morror stance, changing sides half way through, 1 x parallel stance.

evasion/ defense sparring drill vs. striking. focus: Moving off line and always making our position more awkward for the striker, rather than staying put and making it easier.
Then the same only adding some adhering/ following, structure manipulations/ off balancing, seizing/light qinna. Looking to get into and maintain advantageous positioning.

warm down

Saturday 11.3.17

Had a Private I Liq chaun session this morning with instructor. Was great to catch up.

We went through some basics, conditioning exercises, focus on the '13 points'.
For partner work we went through all 8 of the spinning hand 'operations', a much cooler word for patterrns me thinks.

Only downer was I went and got myself a parking ticket, ouch (65). I'm thinking of appealing as there was no signage. Incidently I read an article later that day how such a high percentage of parking tickets were not upheld after appeals. Something ridiculous like 40%. It doesn't surprise me, money grabbing chancers!!

raisedspirit.com

Last edited by cloudz; 13-Mar-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 17-Mar-2017, 09:31 AM
Valued Member

Hey,

Hasn't been a great week for training. Following on from being ill last week it has been my wifes and little girls turns, both are on anti biotics. My poor Mrs was diagnosed with both laryngitis and tonsilitis, my little one with Scarlet fever ! Though we're a bit dubious about that. She was having temperatures and we think we may have overdone the nuerofen and she had a reaction - basically coming out in loads of redness/rashes all over. It mostly dissapeared right after the doctors visit. But anyway as I'm off training most of Saturday too, training has been on the back burner this week. I did a little bit, would have spent more time last night but for my little monkey crying for me at the back door..

Monday

Stretching/ yoga/ foam rolling

Thursday

ILC basics/ neigong:
(no particular order)

condense/ expand
saggital plane exercises
up/down
forward/back
side to side
concave/convex
(open/close) horizontal plane foundation exercise
frontal plane foundation exercise
'bobbing' and 'spinning'

raisedspirit.com
Old 20-Mar-2017, 11:03 AM
Valued Member

Hey,

Friday

Stretching And ILC
I covered the directional planes more fully in particular the saggital plane.
Each plane of movement has 8 variations/ exercises to it. 3 circular planes; frontal, saggital, horizontal.

I've had difficulty with saggital for some reason on 4 of the variations. I kind of focused on the others, but I have to work on them now as I feel I 'get' the others and they all feel ok. These problem 4 still feel a bit awkward, but I think i've got my head round them now and it's just a matter of the physical practice to get them in the muscle memory and they should stop feeling so wierd..

Saturday

ILC workshop

Good day in Hatfield.
Covered some footwork and lower body work. This mostly involved an exercise called 'grinding', largely because you make use of the floor - little like grinding a pestle and mortar. Using friction and resistence for feedback, as well as laying a foundation in the legs it's (the particular exercise) also a way to training Peng jin. Or to put another way the feet supporting the hands; the feeling is like one of buoyancy.

We also did some spinning hands to push and pull and other basics solo and partner. Had some hands on with the main man which was great.

raisedspirit.com

Last edited by cloudz; 20-Mar-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 21-Mar-2017, 09:29 AM
Valued Member

Tuesday morning..

Bit unusual for me, but I hope I can make a habit of it.
Did some running this morning along with a little meditation and some stretches.

raisedspirit.com
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Valued Member

Oh dear my heavy bag nearly fell down last night!

I was planning to spend longer on the bag, but I went a bit too hard before long maybe 2/3 mins I see smatterings of plaster coming down. I stop and take a closer look and one side of the bracket has come away from the ceiling.

Ok anyway, back to the session.

Wednesday

Opening standing meditation
swings
martial body (method) exercises
chi gung
tai chi long form, medium/slow
Standing posture, hold the ball working on bowing and breathing methods (natural and reverse) in conjunction with eachother a bit more. Focusing on the force from centre to extremities, extremities back to the centre.

Then inside cloudz mini kwoon for some more physical type work.

Wall walk to hand stand hold - bit better this time, quite happy with the improvement.
KB Turkish get ups, did more on the left, felt better than last time on that side.
Kettlebel Arm bar; this is a floor exercise with the KB that is purportedly good for shoulder rehab. I still have a very slight issue with my right shoulder from sparring late last summer. It was fairly bad last year and for a while I avoided certain things. It's much better now but I can steel feel it's not 100% sometimes so this might help.

I think this might be the point I switched to the bag for about maybe one round, kicks, punches and elbows, footwork, switching stance, head/ body movement and an extra dose of POWAH!

oh dear.. truth is I was in a filthy mood (had a work related confrontation..) and went berzerker mode. that'll teach me.

Press ups
mountain climbers

Finished with a bit of stretching / yoga/ foam rolling
Closing standing meditation

raisedspirit.com

Last edited by cloudz; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.