Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Styles » Tae Kwon Do
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 24-Feb-2017, 04:56 PM
Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikiMac
As an alternative you might like hapkido. In simplistic terms it's TKD + Jap JJ.
Uggggh.... I hate this analogy. Yes, I know it's a pretty good one, but I still hate it!

Hapkido really depends on where you learn it. As an art, it stems from (and has a base in) Aikijujutsu, with an emphasis on circular footwork, joint locks, falling, and so on. In its formative years in Korea, there was a lot of development going on that led to quite a few different 'types' of Hapkido... some with more kicks and punches, some with acrobatic breakfalls, some with lots of weapons, some with patterns and so far. The nice thing about Hapkido is it generally produces students with 'decent' overall skills in self defense and level of force knowledge.

If you plan to study Hapkido for your primary art, I would suggest doing some cross training later with some sort of grappling (one area where I think HKD is a bit weak).

It can be a bit 'hit or miss' depending on where you train though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rataca100 View Post
I do have another question on TKD, is it taught differently in Korea on average to western countries? (probably not)
I trained in Korea for 4 years, studying Hapkido and Taekwondo.

In my opinion, based on my experience, TKD in Korea tends to focus more exclusively on the art's requirements (like patterns, sparring, and breaking) with little focus on things like 'self defense' and such. It also is very much focused on kids' classes... where many kinds get bussed to the dojang and train for an hour, then another group, and another and so on. It can be tough to find a good 'adult' program (not impossible). And in SOuth Korea, it will most likely be a WTF/Kukkiwon school... the other groups are not represented very well in South Korea.
Old 24-Feb-2017, 10:08 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

In my opinion, based on my experience, TKD in Korea tends to focus more exclusively on the art's requirements (like patterns, sparring, and breaking) with little focus on things like 'self defense' and such. It also is very much focused on kids' classes... where many kinds get bussed to the dojang and train for an hour, then another group, and another and so on. It can be tough to find a good 'adult' program (not impossible). And in SOuth Korea, it will most likely be a WTF/Kukkiwon school... the other groups are not represented very well in South Korea.

Good point, i forgot they did that in some asian countries.