Martial Arts Planet



Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Styles » Weapons
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 18-Jan-2017, 08:41 PM
Dead_pool's Avatar
Dead_pool Dead_pool is offline
the merc with the mouth
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I get what you are saying, but the deaths per head of capita is what I was asking.d
Overall thats 100% isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 18-Jan-2017, 09:21 PM
SWC Sifu Ben's Avatar
SWC Sifu Ben SWC Sifu Ben is offline
I am the law
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I get what you are saying, but the deaths per head of capita is what I was asking....In essence if you look a "gun related deaths" you will get a skewed result by virtue of the qualifier...If you look at "suicides" or "homicides" and ignore the means then you get a more accurate indication that guns do not cause deaths and having them does not prevent them so socio-economic factors need to be looked at instead
Which is funny because 9/10 times the guy advocating that everyone should have and carry guns is the same guy arguing for pure, exploitative capitalism. It's almost like they're just trying to create targets instead of a safe society.
__________________
Sifu Ben
http://soaringwingchun.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Personally I just strip naked cover myself in bacon fat and run outside shouting "dinner is on me baby!".
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 18-Jan-2017, 10:36 PM
Ben Gash CLF's Avatar
Ben Gash CLF Ben Gash CLF is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swindon, England
Age: 39
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I get what you are saying, but the deaths per head of capita is what I was asking....In essence if you look a "gun related deaths" you will get a skewed result by virtue of the qualifier...If you look at "suicides" or "homicides" and ignore the means then you get a more accurate indication that guns do not cause deaths and having them does not prevent them so socio-economic factors need to be looked at instead
Homicide rate in the US is 5-6 times that of the UK and suicide rate is 2-3 times. If you only looked at non firearm homicide the rate would only be slightly higher than the UK, meaning that massive number of excess homicides is all the firearm deaths.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger of Hovedon
He is not fit for battle that has never seen his own blood flow, who has not heard his teeth crunch under the blow of an opponent, or felt the full weight of his adversary on him.
www.swindonkungfu.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 18-Jan-2017, 10:38 PM
Ben Gash CLF's Avatar
Ben Gash CLF Ben Gash CLF is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swindon, England
Age: 39
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Thought process behind that? Genuinely curious
Evidence from the US suggests a man is twice as likely and a woman 3 times as likely to be murdered if they have a gun in their house. After all, who is most likely to kill you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger of Hovedon
He is not fit for battle that has never seen his own blood flow, who has not heard his teeth crunch under the blow of an opponent, or felt the full weight of his adversary on him.
www.swindonkungfu.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 18-Jan-2017, 11:10 PM
Mitch's Avatar
Mitch Mitch is offline
Lord Mitch of MAP




 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nottingham UK
Age: 48
Posts: 16,414
No, I wouldn't have one.

The chances of my kids getting hold of it, me dropping it, or Mrs Mitch using it on me because I've (quite sensibly IMO) spent this months mortgage payment on pads and Spartan training armour, again, is just too high. The chances of us suffering a home invasion by intruders who won't flee in the face of a nekkid Mitch shouting, "I've got a big stick to beat you with!" are miniscule.

As a family, we are safer without one.

Mitch
__________________
Full of fibre, none of it moral.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 18-Jan-2017, 11:49 PM
Hannibal's Avatar
Hannibal Hannibal is online now
Angriest MAP resident....
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Now broadcasting from Calgary, Canada!
Age: 43
Posts: 23,119
Switzerland has incredibly liberal gun laws and widespread ownership with very low gun crime

Japan has strict gun control with little gun crime

It isn't about the guns themselves
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFOREVERMAN
Hannibal He is a cannibal. Literally. He will eat you alive with words. He lives in Canada, 40 years old and I am sure he's single. No woman would ever want him
www.calgaryjkd.com
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 19-Jan-2017, 12:00 AM
Mitch's Avatar
Mitch Mitch is offline
Lord Mitch of MAP




 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nottingham UK
Age: 48
Posts: 16,414
Guns are only dangerous if used in the wrong way. Perfectly safe if left alone or handled correctly.

I don't see the need to have hand grenades in my house either.

Mitch
__________________
Full of fibre, none of it moral.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 19-Jan-2017, 12:36 AM
Hannibal's Avatar
Hannibal Hannibal is online now
Angriest MAP resident....
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Now broadcasting from Calgary, Canada!
Age: 43
Posts: 23,119
You will when the zombie bears come....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFOREVERMAN
Hannibal He is a cannibal. Literally. He will eat you alive with words. He lives in Canada, 40 years old and I am sure he's single. No woman would ever want him
www.calgaryjkd.com
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 19-Jan-2017, 01:21 AM
SWC Sifu Ben's Avatar
SWC Sifu Ben SWC Sifu Ben is offline
I am the law
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Switzerland has incredibly liberal gun laws and widespread ownership with very low gun crime

Japan has strict gun control with little gun crime

It isn't about the guns themselves
Widespread ownership because of the mandatory militia service. Also while they keep the firearms they haven't been able to keep ammunition as part of that for a decade, in large part to combat the number of suicides using those firearms.

And yes it's not about the guns, it's about the reasons for owning them. The Swiss have them for hunting and military use. Canada has lots of guns but they're mostly for hunting and like the Swiss permits for carry are exceedingly rare. The Americans on the other hand carry for an image, a societal fetishization of violence, and a hero complex. Also they tend to have the aforementioned violence causing social problems to a greater degree than Canada or Switzerland.
__________________
Sifu Ben
http://soaringwingchun.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Personally I just strip naked cover myself in bacon fat and run outside shouting "dinner is on me baby!".
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 19-Jan-2017, 07:32 PM
El Medico El Medico is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
Come on man, you know that's a crap straw man argument. It's not even an argument. Like.... it's not even really worth arguing over at this point.
Wow,man.Like you took that seriously?Well, outside the no accidental shootings in my bloodline.That's true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
can you ride on your gun to get to work every day? put another way, do you see how your analogy has failed?

also, how do you reconcile the fact that countries with very strict firearm laws have huge differences in gun-related deaths compared to the usa?
see above.geeeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyheadjch View Post
I don't have statistics on accidental shootings in the US against crimes foiled by armed citizens, but there does seem to be a steady stream of news stories about the former and far fewer of the latter. But it's still anecdotal.

Vehicles are extremely heavily regulated because of their ability to do harm. You have to take a test, right? You lose your license if you use the vehicle in an irresponsible manner, right? There is a database of vehicle owners, right? You want to continue that analogy, I'll happily crush you with the facts.

Which facts?About what? That I've almost been wasted numerous times by people who took driving tests?As opposed to the very few times getting shot was a personal concern.

Oh,allow me to sit at thy lotus feet and imbibe thy wisdom.

Go ahead,waste your time.Crush me.Not sure how,tho'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC Sifu Ben View Post
The Americans on the other hand carry for an image, a societal fetishization of violence, and a hero complex.
Wow,Ben. That's really bleedin' insulting.And quite a stunning example of prejudicial ignorance.

What's next,all black people in the US are gangstas?

Holy crap.
__________________
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is high attainment.Those who cannot do this will be broken on the Lathe of Heaven." Chuang Tzu
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 19-Jan-2017, 08:25 PM
Ben Gash CLF's Avatar
Ben Gash CLF Ben Gash CLF is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swindon, England
Age: 39
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Switzerland has incredibly liberal gun laws and widespread ownership with very low gun crime

Japan has strict gun control with little gun crime

It isn't about the guns themselves
Switzerland alternates with Finland for gun death leader of Europe. Also Switzerland's gun laws are not as liberal as the NRA make out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger of Hovedon
He is not fit for battle that has never seen his own blood flow, who has not heard his teeth crunch under the blow of an opponent, or felt the full weight of his adversary on him.
www.swindonkungfu.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 19-Jan-2017, 08:49 PM
SWC Sifu Ben's Avatar
SWC Sifu Ben SWC Sifu Ben is offline
I am the law
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Medico View Post
Wow,Ben. That's really bleedin' insulting.And quite a stunning example of prejudicial ignorance.

What's next,all black people in the US are gangstas?

Holy crap.
Unfortunately for you while it may be insulting it is neither uninformed nor inaccurate.

And you can keep your straw man. He'll do you no good here.
__________________
Sifu Ben
http://soaringwingchun.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Personally I just strip naked cover myself in bacon fat and run outside shouting "dinner is on me baby!".
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 19-Jan-2017, 09:28 PM
holyheadjch's Avatar
holyheadjch holyheadjch is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southampton, UK
Age: 32
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Medico View Post
Which facts?About what? That I've almost been wasted numerous times by people who took driving tests?As opposed to the very few times getting shot was a personal concern.

Oh,allow me to sit at thy lotus feet and imbibe thy wisdom.

Go ahead,waste your time.Crush me.Not sure how,tho'.
Exactly! Even people who have passed tests are potentially dangerous. But they're a hell of a lot less dangerous than the people who haven't taken a test to prove their competency.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-Feb-2017, 05:59 PM
El Medico El Medico is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC Sifu Ben View Post
Unfortunately for you while it may be insulting it is neither uninformed nor inaccurate.
Really? Is this conclusion of a majority of sociologists and anthropologists involved in such studies ? Or just your "learned" opinion?

Serious question,by the way.

Quote:
And you can keep your straw man. He'll do you no good here.
You can take a straw man,give him a hat, some coveralls,and a corncob pipe and stick him out in your garden.

As I said to Chadderz-"Wow,man.Like you took that seriously?"

Guess thy reading comprehension ain't up to snuff,huh?
__________________
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is high attainment.Those who cannot do this will be broken on the Lathe of Heaven." Chuang Tzu
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-Feb-2017, 01:29 AM
boards's Avatar
boards boards is offline
Its all in the reflexes!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,847
I own guns as i enjoy target shooting at tbe range and kill feral vermin on a few farms, but I'd never want one for self defence. My guns are kept in a safe and the keys stored separately.

As for getting lessons on using them but not owning, shooting is a skill and if you dont continually practice you will lose it. Learning the skills is the fun.
__________________
There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!


The First Sword of Braavos does not run!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.