Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » General Topics » Disabled Martial Artists
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 13-Oct-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered Mapper

I don't see him as any different to be honest, he's a great kid with a lot of potential but just not allowed to have contact sparring.

Doesn't stop him learning fun sd though!
Old 27-Oct-2014, 05:06 PM
Valued Member

<cutting to the chase I modelled myself on the kick boxer Bill Wallace>>

Aha! I remember when we were all gonna kick like Bill Wallace - it was a wonderful time and strange blessing indeed when "The Dragon Entered" and "everybody was kung fu fighting". But enough reverie ~

"Other abled"s and just plain injured folks laugh and feel bad for you if you are feeling bad for them. They don't care about world perceptions unless they have to here and there.
"They like their self, they think they're grand! They go to the movie just to hold their hand!"

Once they see the crippled of you, then they understand and aren't afraid of you anymore. Once you see the wholeness of them, it's a whole different world.

I try not to say much, but in this case? The essence of gong fu is as individual as it is group. I believe other styles have the same attitudes? For them, work with agencies, homes, physical therapists and case workers and you will find that you can have a great deal of medical confidence without a great deal of medical knowledge.
I am sure that as martial artists you will "get" easily whatever the medical people teach you because it's, in that respect, kind of your area? Even if you are of gong fu I would recommend consulting some unless you are 10 years of "all" the training? Two or three lunches with a pt and you may well be advertising a specialty for safe and therapeutic training. Some of those people want you and will gladly consult as grooming one more place they can send their patients to.

But as to this area specifically yes, I came to look to see what other folks with joints do. I have my deformities beat, a spur came on one finger I an still melting back but as rheumy people know it is not the joint or deformity, if you have any, it is that pesky nerve signal that fights one and though one can get through that and stabilize in a stance, it would be most excellent to be able to reduce that signal, which is like the broken arm: body just declines to support and tries to give.
For me it is only noticeable in Dragon forms and horse, where the knees have lots of the weight and balance. I work them most because I dread the fate and all you have to do to cripple up is quit fighting.
But yes by all means, the knowledge to prevent injury or further damage*, to train specifically and therapeutically applies to all bodies and the confidence of secular body "pros" is a jewel that belongs on a master's cup.
Sorry to go on, but to me, all styles should have that gong fu and the way medicine is going, I think you will find a warm reception.

* (thank G-d I did not imitate Bill more fully. Master Don warned about kicks above the waist and made you earn every one the hard way)
Old 28-Sep-2016, 09:01 AM
Registered Mapper

hi

I am actually disabled I had my right hip rebuilt so it is fairly weak and limited movement,the problem is apart from what I do now (wing chun) there is no way we can do the other arts as they all use the kicks etc so I would have no way of advancing through grades etc ,I wanted to do a few different arts but have had to just finally after a hip rebuild stick to wing chun(only 3 weeks in a word I wish there was a way of doing mma,kung fu,karate etc but also being able to worj through my grades
Old 28-Sep-2016, 09:41 AM
Lord Mitch of MAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jascof View Post
I am actually disabled I had my right hip rebuilt so it is fairly weak and limited movement,the problem is apart from what I do now (wing chun) there is no way we can do the other arts as they all use the kicks etc so I would have no way of advancing through grades etc ,I wanted to do a few different arts but have had to just finally after a hip rebuild stick to wing chun(only 3 weeks in a word I wish there was a way of doing mma,kung fu,karate etc but also being able to worj through my grades
I am sure many TKD or Karate schools would happily work with you to find a way for you to train and advance.

We also have at least one member here who has had hip replacements and trains actively and to a very high level in those arts.

Obviously I don't know your situation and issues, but I wouldn't give up on those other arts if you really want to train in them, you just need to find the right place to study! Best of luck

Mitch
Old 28-Sep-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered Mapper

ty budd appreciated