Is shaolin kungfu a good martial art?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by HeHo23, Feb 17, 2014.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Are you set on HK? it is pretty expensive there.

2. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Yes, i will study there in a university in Hong Kong. I will most likely live in a student halls of residence (campus) which is alot cheaper than any place in Hong Kong to live + in the country i live in students who study abroad get alot of money in student fund + i am working alot this summer to earn as much money i can to when i come to Hong Kong.

Also, Hong Kong is cheaper than the country i live in Norway, in Norway we have taxes for absolute everything. So my student coach for studying overseas also told me also it's cheap in Hong Kong compared to Norway.

Also, today i got an email from an Kung Fu personal trainer in Hong Kong who's name is Andrew Dasz http://personaltrainerhongkong.neositios.com/andrew-dasz. I asked him if he coaches Sanda in an email and said if he did i would be willing to pay him. He sent an email asked if i have experience in Sanda and asked why i'm interested in training. I answered him now. Does this email mean he knows Sanda and is intersted in teaching me the martial art?

3. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Thanks, but i have no idea though how to find a sanda school in HK, if i dont find it on the internett.

Benny YU has not answered yet. And the Andrew guy answered this on an email "Hi,
    I don't training Sanshou, but if you like learn how to combine punch and kicks also with wrestling skills, there is possible I help you…

I learn Boxing, Kick Boxing, Ving Tsun (in different countries), and other styles of Kung Fu.
    Also I was training MMA and ShootBoxing, different modalities of sport combat with the same characteristic of Sanda.

For strikes, you need training impact (bad, focus gloves, etc), know for wrestling you need training pressure, and control the balance of the other person, this is a week point of many martial artist, they think just learn techniques is enough, but when they try to put in practice nothing happen, because they forgetter the skills and concepts behind the techniques, don't worry if is MMA, Shoot Boxing or San Shou, body is always the same, two legs, two hands.

And when you know concepts, learn easy techniques, just one day.
    Skills many years...

Let me know if you are interested, and I show you theses concepts.
    Best regards"

I will still search for Sanda, but if i can't find any Sanda school in HK this could be something i could be trying.

4. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Maybe Benny Yu is watching this thread, and you scared him off?

I don't know.

5. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

How would i have scared Benny Yu away?

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

By telling him you know a "wooden hare" :D

7. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Please be careful about studying "kung fu" in Hong Kong or China. If it's taught by monks there is a strong chance you, as a Westerner, can be ripped off and charged two to three times greater then what they charge locals.

8. 47MartialMan

Well, it isn't only people with Shaolin robes who do this :eek:

9. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Changes have happened. Because of personal problems in my life there has to be a delayment and i can't study in Hong Kong in August 2014. Instead i have decided to study in Seoul South Korea 2015 March. (since i don't want to wait a whole year to study and i also like Korea very much) I have begun courses to learn Korean, and also downloaded books and mp3 files to learn even more. Now, the problem is that i want to train Sanda, but i can't find any Sanda classes in google. I have heard that NaverMap which is the korean version of Googlemaps is alot more helpfull, so i will try that.

I also know that South Korea isn't excatly the place in the world with most Chinese martial arts dojos, but i think in a huge city as Seoul, somewhere in a corner maybe they teach sanda

mdgee : Even though i have grown up in the west all of my life, i am of middle eastern background, the chances to getting fooled is maybe lower because of that?

10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

No, they are not. You are a foreigner in China or Korea and that is all they will go on, because from their perspective Middle Eastern or Westerner...we all have money and they will make you pay. I can't help much with Korea other than I do know there are schools there claiming to be CMA that are not so be careful and remember "Buyer Beware"

11. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Yeah, that's true.

I actually found a site that trains Sanda in Korea http://cafe.daum.net/wushuplus. But it's difficult to navigate through the site + google translations English translation of Sanda on the site is "santa" which is weird. But the adress in seoul, so all i have to do is find the email/facebook and contact them :)

12. Xue Sheng

I don't read Korean but the form they are showing and calling traditional Yang 23 is not traditional it is the Beijing 24 form which is a competition form and one of the pictures at the top of the page is showing a Chen style posture.

BIG issue with any of these places is not speaking the language.

13. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Yeah, that's why i am currently working hard to learn Korean, by march i should be able to know the basics and speak Korean with a foreign-accent.

The site has two videos of Sanda in the fronpage. And from what i see, it seems like real, legit, and hardcore Sanda. It will hurt when i come to Korea and train Sanda!

Also, here are pictures of the DOJO http://cafe.daum.net/wushuplus/E78b/55

Also, i just found out the place only has a telephone number not email. :(

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  14. Xue Sheng

There use to be a big group of Sanshou (Sanda) guys in Florida and they use to have a forum but they shut it down. There is also a sanshou group in NYC.

It is possible that you can contact one of those groups and see if they know anything about this school or any other school.

If I can find the group that is in Florida I will post it here, but be warned, I just took a look and I could not find them on the web so I may not be able to find anyone for you to contact.

Here is a list of school I did find, but there is nothing listed for Korea
    http://www.worldsandaleague.com/schools_all.php

EDIT: OK that didn't take long
    They changed their name from Florida Sanshou & Muay Thai to Muay Thai is life
    Their new page http://www.muaythaiislife.com/

They have a contact page, maybe they can help you out, or maybe they can't, but it is worth a try

15. HeHo23

HeHo23 Valued Member

Thanks! :D I contacted them. But if you watch the video of the Sanda, you'll see it is in the same place as the one in the picture.

This is also supposed to be the front door of the sanda place http://cafe.daum.net/wushuplus/E78b/56 Also, i found out that the main adminstrator calls himself Bellona and you can make a user account on that site. I'll make a user account and try too contact Bellona and write too him in English and google translate korean version.

16. Xue Sheng

Not saying it is not exactly what it claims to be...but I can take any picture I want and put it on the web and say this is where I train

[​IMG]

That is the forbidden city in China by the way, I have been there, but I do not train there ;)

17. 47MartialMan

*BOLD* Why would you do and state that? :eek:

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

for the same reason some people will claim to have served in the military, to have gained 70563.5 dan ranks in nonexistent arts, and that they once bench pressed 700 pounds, i would guess.

19. Xue Sheng

As an example that you can't believe everything you read or see on the internet.

He was saying that the web page was showing the training hall. Even though that is likely true you really can not be completely sure based on a picture on a web page.

obviously I do not train at the Forbidden City, (heck I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn express last night) although I did see a couple of little boys playing Wushu there pretending to fight and one did do a Shaolin style bow to me when his friend hid behind me :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  20. 47MartialMan

I was being sarcastic :D

*BOLD* What is a Shaolin style bow ?