Maintain Weight, Build Muscle, Lower Body Fat %

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Alienfish360, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

So, my long term plan to get to my stable (if possible) 75kg, is to first get to 80kg, and then try to maintain a stable weight at 80kg for a bit (182cm tall).

Now while maintaining 80kg I will want to be lowering my body fat %, leaning my body out, and building lean body mass.

Am I correct that to do this (on a basic level) I need to eat enough calories to maintain weight, and just do a lot of weight/resistance training?

Eating enough to maintain weight, will allow me to build muscle and reduce fat? Or is there something more complex to it?

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You probably need to shoot for 90 kg and then cut fat, and you might get lean at 80 kg.

Your timeframe for an extra 5 kg of lean muscle is probably a 6-12 month long goal depending on your current fitness level and physique. If you're new to weight training the time frame will be a lot shorter.

3. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

So you want to lose fat and build muscle at the same time?
    I've heard it's possible but slow going.
    Are you new to lifting weights?
    Do u need to be that weight for an eventual fight?

4. Alienfish360

I currently weigh 84kg down from 98kg 11 weeks ago.

5. Alienfish360

Not any time soon, definitley not within the next 12 months, but earlier the better :)

6. Alienfish360

I assume then that the trick is to build muscle and put weight on, then diet slowly to cut the fat off?

If that is true, does the inverse work? Lose excess weight and then build muscle putting it back on, for example going to 70kg, then slowly putting weight back on with resistance training up to 80?

I have nobody to get caliper measurements atm, but with a tape measure from abdomen and neck, it is apparently a body fat percentage of approximately 27.5% My first target is to get this to around 20% at about 80kg.

Currently it's

83kg with lean bodyweight of 60kg

At 80kg a body fat percentage of 20% is 63kg lean bodyweight.

So if the above is correct, will dropping down to a lower weight, then putting the weight back on while doing resistance training work as I am expecting in my head?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  7. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

When you put on weight you tend to put on fat also as well as muscle as long as your lifting heavy weights. And when you cut you tend to lose a bit of muscle with the fat. You can minimise the muscle lose by keeping your protein high and LIFTING HEAVY weights.

8. Alienfish360

My current regime is Muay Thai x 3 per week, running x3 per week, full body weights x3 per week. Currently doing a weight that I can only just do the 8th rep, with 3 sets of this.

The previous times I've trained for anything, I have been a healthy weight, so never really had to think so much, this is the first time I've had to come back from being overweight, so I am not confident that I am on the right track with my training plan.

9. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

That sounds about right with the weights. When I cut weight I tend to keep my reps between 3-8. I usually do 5 sets but I don't do full body per workout when lifting heavy. Seems to interfere with my boxing

10. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

this... you can build muscle and cut fat, but the numbers, timing of meals, etc are so precise that it would be very difficult. Remember when you gain any weight, you are gaining muscle and fat.... your diet and exercise habits are what determines how much of each you will gain. If you gain 20, expect at least 5-10 lbs of that to be fat and water. Realistically you can gain about 10-12 solid lbs of dry muscle weight a year... that's about all the body can produce naturally.

Work on compound movements, squats, bench pressing, upper back compound movements, etc. That's where you'll gain the most mass and weight. If you want to sculpt later you can, but there isn't a whole lot of reasons to it unless it's for BBing purposes.

For explosiveness in punching, kicking, etc, add plyometric exercises to your weight routine.

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

8 reps is firmly in the mass range (8 to 6). Depending on the percentage of your 1 rm - 60 to 85% approx - So to an extent you're asking your body to build mass by stimulating it with that many reps at that much weight.

Is that your purpose? IF you're cutting calories and doing Mass work - It can grant you the effect you're looking for. Because it's more stimulation than reps all in the strength range with the same percentages (5 and under for 60 to 85%).

Other factors are your natural build - If you're 182 cm and naturally 80 kilos then you're burgeoning on ectomorphic (distance runner type build, or elements of) territory - Or tendencies thereof.

On your current 3 3 3 run, mt, weights regime you should still continue to lose weight quickly - As your metabolism is cranked up really high now.

Good Luck

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Since everyone else seemed to ignore this, allow me to be the first to say:

Bloody good work.

13. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Don't congratulate him too much - Else he'll grant himself a celebatory cake :D