Street Knock-outs and Street Fights

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 12, 2014.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

None of this changes basic economics. If it's possible to make money doing something no one else is doing, someone will start doing it.

Economic conspiracy theories are just as daft as any other type of conspiracy theory.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

My houses had been broken into and attacked about six different times, and once in my own house.

Some of those were the police, some of those were "bad guys" who wanted om drugs/money. To be paranoid about locking your door I'd say you'd have to be doing something illegal/probably drug related.

The one time I'm my own house was a different incident and not related to drugs or money or personal and it was a random attack, sort of.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

because I keep my door locked that means I'm doing something wrong? lol

4. Saved_in_Blood

I'm just telling you from my Wife telling me what she has about how they take them all out to lunch and such. Why do they need to? Why not just talk to them about their drugs and then let them either decide to use them or not?

My cousin is a nurse, my old neighbor is head ER nurse at one of the best hospitals in Md, I have multiple friends who are also nurses. They all talk about the pill problem for instance. In the hospitals now they all have a code they have to enter (Doctors and nurses) in order to get pills such as opiates because even the nurses and doctors were even stealing the stuff that they themselves were hooked on. It's ridiculous.

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You own multiple homes? These sentences aren't making much sense to me and I'm not sure what to extrapolate from the missing, incomplete, or error in information.

Locking the door is routine for me. Now that I think about it, it's REALLY routine for me, like making sure I look behind me when I'm walking in public constantly :p. I have to throw the garbage down a garbage shoot in my apartment building and I grab my phone and keys before I take it to the shoot. I usually lock the door on my way out.

The garbage shoot is literally the next door down from mine, maybe 20 feet down the hall. :p

Not locking your door seems kind of strange to me honestly, especially in a forum where self-defense is about. A lot of defensive measures are preventative, not active in the moment. No place is really safe. I mean hell, about six or seven years ago in the suburb/housing area I'm staying at in Florida with my parents, there was a woman who was brutally raped jogging at 6 am in the morning on one of the trails. This area of housing is the type of area you don't feel a need to lock your doors, and nobody living here is making less than six figures (on the low end). Needless to say ever since there are now regular patrols from the police that pass through. All it takes is that one time. :dunno:

6. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, I don't think I am picking up everything he's saying. I guess people just don't live in the same kind of areas as here. Here if you leave your garage open and run to the store or anything, you'll come back with missing tools or something.

7. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I think he might be saying that houses in his street or area have been broken into on 6 occasions. Thats the only thing I can get out of it.

I don't usually lock the doors while im inside until night time but my unit is pretty small and the two doors are within sight of my living room. If I was going ino the bedroom to cleanup or something then I will usually lock it. My dog would also bark if someone unknown tried to enter the house without locking.

My dad on the other hand leaves his doors unlocked even if he is out of the house and reckons that no one is going to break in where he lives. I think he is mad.

8. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I don't even lock the door if i go out to the shops, 5 minute walk. If i am going out for any longer than that then yeah i lock the doors. My garage isnt even locked right now and i have some good stuff in there. The only time i apply a lock of any sort when i am in the house is if my kids are playing in the garden. The front gate gets locked and i have eyes on them constantly.

Baza

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

When I said houses, I mean I've live in three homes at three seperate times in my life, and they were all broken into, either by drug related bad guys, or police. Except when I lived on my own, away from my parents I had someone break down the door, but that was not related to criminal activity.

10. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

getting back to the topic.

I know it sounds odd but I watch these type of videos for a few reasons, but chief among them is to keep me in touch as to what real violence looks like and the the type of agression, viciousness and violence that can happen.

In todays society I have noticed that what people watch on TV, movies and Video games, and how violence is trained in their dojo or gym colours their views on what real violence is. For example I was playing a batman game round a friends house and the finishes a guy off with a jumping elbow from across the room. My friend ( a martial artist) then says that he views this as a usefull self defence technique as the elbow is harder than the hand. and you get allot of power from the jump.

So yea, thats my reasons. I also watch MMA because I want to see the masters at work. and when you get footage of a street altercation where one guy has mma training and the other doesnt...well.

11. Saved_in_Blood

It is unfortunate that we have to see certain things to understand "real world" violence. In a world where in the movies the good guys still (usually) win, it gives us a dose of reality that many of us here (on MAP) in a one on one situation with no weapons involved vs. an untrained attacker have a better chance than one who is not trained at all, still does not guarantee a win. It's obviously important to see what real is though.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Nick Ring took on some "wangsters" locally

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/07/canadian-ufc-fighter-rescues-couple-from-mob

I know Nick and he is really nice guy, but has a definite sense of right and wrong

Then there is Harry Smith (and if you are a criminal I can think of few things scarier than having 270lbs of solid, skilled muscle running at you)

http://smirfittsspeech.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/ex-wwe-star-harry-smith-stops-a-thief/

13. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Two good guys doing the right thing. It doesn't happen often enough.

Baza

14. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Great stories , and good guys. really answers the whole question raised in penn and tellers MA special as "why we dont see martial artist fighting off muggers and helping people in the new" ...the answer being. "uuuh yea we do"

But I more meant a few vids I have seen where one guy CLEARLY has training in some MA or MMA and the other guy doesnt. Any links of that?

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Especially in that outfit!

Attached Files:

16. David Harrison

I don't lock myself in my flat until I'm going to bed.

I'm not so worried about a stranger walking in. If they're determined then me locking my door only adds a few seconds to their entry time. I'm not even worried about my stuff getting stolen, but if I didn't lock my flat when I went out then the insurance company wouldn't replace my stuff if I did get burgled.

Once again, context comes into play though. If I was in a country where firearms were common, then I'd think a bit differently about it.

Talking of self-defence, being able to exit your home quickly is more important than keeping people out. Fire kills more people than intruders.

The one place where I've been fastidious about locking doors is in bear country. Bears can open doors, but they can't pick locks.

17. Saved_in_Blood

In fairness, you are also in a different part of the world where it doesn't seem like some of you all have the same issues we have in some areas of the U.S. I don't know the stats. All I know is when there are meth addicts and drunks that walk around my town all day (less than a half mile from my home) my door is getting locked. We have a standard lock, and a deadbolt. My gun stays with me at night, so those few seconds could save your life, whether it be just by being able to have that time to exit the home, or to be ready when they come through the door to drop them with the first step they take to come into my house. If you kick my door in... you're getting shot... period.

Of course to understand each others point of view, we would have to actually live in each others areas. We don't so we aren't totally going to get it.

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a metal door and concrete wall for somebody to break into my apartment. Or they could walk around the back and smash the window since I live on the first floor, but this comment was more relevant when I lived on the 5th floor. :p

I don't even leave for the fire alarm when it goes off in the building anymore because I can just hop out of the window. :D

19. David Harrison

There are crack and heroin addicts walking the streets of my city too, and I live smack-bang [EDIT: no pun intended] in the centre of town.

Difference is, they don't carry guns.

I have a selection of hitty-sticks that are to-hand for me, but anyone coming into my place would have to search for them. I lock my door when I'm asleep. That's pretty much all the security I need.

I'm very thankful that I don't feel the need to have to think about shooting intruders where I live! Though my mum's house is in the sticks and she has a 20 gauge shotgun there, though by law it has to stay in a locked cabinet. Because of that I'd be much more likely to grab my pickaxe handle than try to get the shotgun out.

20. David Harrison

Just goes to show; all self-defence and safety comes down to environmental context.