Training outside

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hitting pads and rolling at dusk, it gives a different feeling, it feels more urgent and life like just being outdoors and cold. Anybody else do this or feel like this?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

nope, i hate the sun. sure is nice having a lot of space in which to train, though :p

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Yeah, unless you live in humid environments. I'd rather deal with a hot but dry 38 or frigid cold than a muggy, sticky 27°C.

4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

...cough...cough...booj...cough

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yup. Always train harder outside.

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Lucky to have plenty of open space (some fields,some hardstanding) at our school.
    We train outside most of the year weather permitting,also have outside lights .
    For me,sparring ,weapons training and taiji are all better outside.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Masked profanity is not allowed.

Even for ninjas.

:p

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The space was quite limited, because we were using mats. It was just interesting that it felt a little more intense and realistic rolling in that environment.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In true karate fashion I run barefoot 5 miles to sit under a freezing waterfall for 2 hours very day.*

*I don't but would like to do more outdoor training.

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I often train on my own outside. It's interesting training on different surfaces: roots, slopes, grass, sand. Training at home, outside is also just about all I have. If you want urgent and intense, I recommend training in the rain. It's pretty sweet.

11. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

I practice my Aikido weapons in the garden although I'm concerned a neighbour may film it and I'll end up on youtube to the Star Wars theme !

12. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I dont do much MA training outside, except a bit of padwork, but I train outside with the majority of my clients, who all prefer it :)

13. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

When I was in my early twenties I did Gumdo (korean sword) outside at night in the dead of Canadian winter. Now I do TaiJi outside during the day in one of the sunniest places on Earth. :confused:

15. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I twisted my ankle doing a spinning back kick in a field. Does thay count?

16. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I've been running up and down the beach in the morning in the soft sand with a back pack on, sit ups and push ups to not so good in winter, these people that think all they have to do is train in a gym to be good make me laugh training outside gives you that whole feeling of being full of life, anyway that's my take on it.