what is considered as good training session?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by the artist, Sep 12, 2014.

1. the artist

the artist Valued Member

Hey guys, I am confused about training. IF I go to sparring or boxing class, how do I know if the sparring session or boxing class was real good.

is it good if we get injured because we were going very hard

because in many fighting documentaries, I see people wearing head gear or without and training full on, bleeding, bruising and getting black eyes.?

Is this a good thing? I am thinking that wearing a head gear and going 110% is the best training method but my coach thinks that going 50%-70% is better, because it focuses on technique.

Also is it a good idea to go 110% without head guard?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Did you enjoy it?

Everything else is largely secondary

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I'm not sure i understand. For a good training session in my own opinion i have to feel beat but going on and to be honest you should know yourself if you had a good session.

If i come out of the gym buzzing then i had a good session.

Baza

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Also you cannot go 110%

your coach is right - technique trumps power in sparring. It is a DRILL not a fight. I dislike headgear for anything other than weapon sparring because it reduces movement and vision and in my opinion makes you get hit more often

Bruises and black eyes are a side effect of real (or close to real) training methods - they shouldn't be every week and it is depending on your training goals, but there should be the odd bump or bruise along the way as par for the course. Injuries happen, but they should NOT be frequent or expected

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

^^^ This, this and more this!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What is good in a training session?

To crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of the women.

Mitch

7. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Ahh that is good.

Baza

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A good session can vary.
    Maybe a technique, idea or concept clicks?
    Maybe you're just on fire and duffing people up?
    Maybe you were feeling crappy and the session pep'd you up and left you feeling positive?
    Maybe you finally got to be competitive with "that" guy that is always all over you?

Personally I like a session that mix's in some technical stuff, sparring that isn't too hard and done in the right spirit, stuff that makes me go "Eh?" and I get a sweat on.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:confused: Are you seriously asking if it is good to get injured?

Really? :bang:

Injury prevents you from training. No training is bad.

Even the professional fighters don't go 100% all the time.

A mix of intensity is good. Sometimes going lighter to focus on developing techniques, sometimes going hard to know what it is like to go all out.

10. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I think if you learn something, get some exercise, and don't get any real injuries it is a good training session.

I had a sparring session earlier in the week, and I (to me anyways) clearly lost all my matches. So I was a little down about that, because I felt I should be getting better, etc. Then I realized that all the people I am sparring against are training at least as much as I am, so they are getting better too. If they are fitter, faster, and more experienced than I am - even if I train more, it will take a while to catch up, if it ever will happen. I could probably train sparring 6 days a week between the 2 schools I go to, and that would help me catch up/get ahead, but honestly I'd get tired of that. There is only so much getting punched in the face I can take before it gets really old. And I am getting pretty old myself it feels like sometimes...:) So at some point I have to just admit that I am a middle aged guy in not in any kind of excellent shape and I'm just doing this for fun and exercise, and not to take it too seriously.

So, like Hannibal says - Do you enjoy it?

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

If you're doing anything less than Thunderdome, you're under training. People shouldn't just be going 110%, it should be a life or death struggle every night. Anything else is unrealistic and not based on battlefield arts. Interestingly, my gym has about the same attrition rates as those tippy tappy, cuddly cuddly MMA schools.

[​IMG]

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The goal of sparring should be at the end of the day successfully pressure testing (the amount of pressure dependent upon experience, etc.,) previously drilled concepts.

You're getting injured in sparring because 1) You haven't learnt the techniques proper 2) Your partner (or yourself) are not keeping the idea of the testing of key techniques as the goal of sparring.

I used to think differently -

13. David Harrison

I'd say that is a symptom of bad instruction. Your instructor should know what you're capable of, and observe sparring closely if you're a beginner.

I would consider it a failure of my duties if one of my students sustained an injury in sparring due to a lack of skill. I'd also bollock the person who injured them, and seriously consider their future under my tuition, unless it was an unavoidable accident.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

For me, learning something new or getting better at something already know makes a session "good". For cutting exercises, hitting the targets properly and not injuring anyone makes it "good". In kobudo, reinforcing or learning technique and not hitting anyone/getting hit="good" session. :) Even the days when you are full of fail are learning experiences.

15. belltoller

Not all instructors take that view :)

16. David Harrison

I only want to be of benefit to every one of my students, or I wouldn't teach them.

I agreed with everything else you wrote though.

Anyway, gotta go, watching Beyond Thunderdome. It's all that sneaky raptor's fault! :mad: :love: :mad:

17. philosoraptor

WHO RUN BARTERTOWN?!

[​IMG]

MASTER BLASTER!

18. belltoller

Oh...don't know what that's all about but I'm not surprised one bit that Phil-o-Raptor's at the bottom of it, whatever it be.

He's like the dog that sneaks in and puts his cold nose on your bum when you're taking a shower ;)

19. philosoraptor

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It's what my friend calls "the naughty boy". He likes to do it in bars, clubs and public toilets. You wont believe how many fights it starts! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014