The Technique Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Bloomin' Southpaws... ;p

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

adjust for taste

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was gonna "correct" the video by mirroring it aroind. Lol

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I posted this in another thread, but this one is probably the better place for it. It's only short and REALLY dark, but hope it is useful

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgfIG-d8PlM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgfIG-d8PlM[/ame]

5. belltoller

Ja, its one of those things where the less we analyse and try to translate someone's left to our right, the better off we are ;)

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's been suggested to me that I've incorrectly used, or explained the pivot point and that it is actually a pivot from the rear shoulder, rather than the centre line.

In my demonstration I disagree and completely want the opposing side of the body locked off.

If you rotate from the rear shoulder there will be a "coming forward" of the rear pec (and waist) and this isn't something I want, certainly not at this stage of learning, and I'm trying to avoid ending up side on.

You cannot pivot from the centre without the rear shoulder moving away from the target, but what I wanted to point out is that you should certainly only be driving the striking side forward and isolating the opposite side.

Hopefully the demonstration along with the verbal explanation is enough and these rules can be broken later on, but as always you have to understand the rules before you can break them.

As I said in the video there underlying principles necessary to ensure a correct jab

I'll be expanding on this is the next instalments.

It's strange that after all is said and done it's just a punch in the face, be it from boxing, karate, tkd or muay thai, but I love the mechanics of it and for me this is the fascination.

I'm sure you've all heard the Bruce Lee saying, "before I studied the art a punch was just a punch...

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I do this rather differently and my pivot point is the rear hip for the 'jab' and the front hip for the 'cross' (generally moving the feet in both).

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if someone cuts the hypothetical bungee cord, wouldn't you actually end up punching yourself in the shoulder? :p

fwiw mine are (or at least i think they are) more similar to john's. i really should reshoot that abomination of a video attempt that i made on krotty stepping as i use (or, again, think i use :p) one of the principles therein, namely, removing the front foot (rather than actively stepping) so that my weight naturally moves forwards as a result of the "soft" rear knee immediately followed by a very short rear leg push (no front support + soft rear knee: fall down and forwards; + short rear push = slide forwards rather than rise). this way my entire body is moving, and if my torso structure isn't derpy i can essentially arm punch and still get some impact, and i can also freely rotate along the centerline, as the centerline itself is moving, reducing the effect of having the rear side moving backwards. re: arm and shoulder: for me, for a jab-type punch, the concept is that fist leads, and everything else trails behind it (although of course that's physically biomechanically ****-backwards :p). mostly KF influence there, tbh (northern shaolin li quan and CLF charp chui) and most definitely not a 'proper' krotty punch :p

9. belltoller

Understood
    Right. I said "moving away from the opponent" whereas I should have said " the rear shoulder moving away too much or to the point where one's front is approaching nearly 90° from one's jab arm - as you demo'd at 1:06 in your video.

Error on my part - not yours!

Also, when I noted that pivoting coming from the centre line, I was using the term as a point of reference which worked for me in visualising how it would look

[​IMG]

Of course, I warn't meaning one could actually physically pivot from a centre point in their chest, lol. Just a visual point of reference.

Sorry for the confusing post.

10. Simon

I don't disagree with anyone here, but what I've tried to post is a "your first ever jab" type of clip.

I'm hoping to shoot a follow up tonight and that'll hopefully show some jab variations (that'll leave the krotty guys confused). :D

On a serious note there shouldn't be too much of a physical variation in the different type of jab and a lot of it is down to intention, rather than changes in structure.

11. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

There is no perfect jab or anything realy because the reality is that during a fight you are constantly changing position and the situation is constantly changing. There are many ways to jab depending on these things or on what you get the chance to do.
    I would therefore agree and disagree on the clip.
    Three fundamentals I would liked to have seen are the use or awareness of the lead shoulder protecting the chin before, during and after the jab and the use or awareness of the top of the head to take punches. In other words I'd rather be hit on the shoulder ,or secondly the top of the head, than the chin or face. I know I'm not perfect,I know being hits likely ,but I'm going to try to minimise damage by being aware of these things as I throw the jab.
    Also anticipating after the jab that an attack will come and compensating for this.

Top boxer's are never stationary, there heads are constantly moving and they have to move in all directions so the head can be more over the left foot at any moment or more over the right foot or they are going backwards or they are jabbing before ,during or after any punch or combination of punches....all these things change the way a jab is thrown or what or which part of the body does this or that.

I do like the mention of tension and being ready to go.

Comments were welcomed so I mention these things as I feel they are important and maybe add to the discussion.

12. Simon

I've just finished shooting part 2 and 3 and do cover the shoulder protecting the chin.

I've very much aimed this and the follow up videos at the newby or beginner, hence the lack of movement at this stage and of course this is only my view on things.

It's a bit late to edit and post the clips, but I'll try and do it tomorrow.

13. Simon

Part II of the series on the jab.

Just an expansion on the first video, with a couple of other points covered.

Part III has been shot and just needs editing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb9MBR7zs9o"]The Jab Part II - YouTube[/ame]

I'm colour coordinated with the hall, so if you can't see me it's not because I've become a Ninja. :D

14. Fish Of Doom

don't worry, we can spot you by the light reflected on your scalp :p

liked the wall drill btw. simple and effective :D

15. Simon

Part III and the final instalment in the jab series.

Plenty to get your teeth into here.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TU05MOYmIs"]The Jab Part III - YouTube[/ame]

16. Fish Of Doom

so i did some bagwork today:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPEBDDTq21M"]bagwork 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrFBHPPUOU"]bagwork 2 - YouTube[/ame]

17. Simon

Something different today.

In preparation for the 2015 FMA Meet I thought I'd do a basic strikes tutorial.

A 3 part series covering some of the basic strikes and how you put them together from both open and closed chambers.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMEiCKJE3lU"]FMA Technique Part I - YouTube[/ame]

18. Simon

Part II.

Videos are being a bit slow to load, but I'll try and get Part III up tonight.

In part 3 I show how to link all of these moves together.

Don't just see these as a preparation for the MAP meet, let's have some critique and questions.

It seems to me that FMA is something that many fancy doing, but don't know much about.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbWb0SRGM_8"]FMA Technique Part II - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  19. Simon

Part III, putting it all together.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPawWE_kp8Y"]FMA Technique Part III - YouTube[/ame]

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

After trying some FMA with Simon, I'm very keen to get into it further.

Each strike and block flows so logically of the last and the concepts in weapons carry so well into it's empty hand portions.
    I was really impressed by both FMA and Simon's skill in weapons and empty hand.

I'll be getting my stick down from Scotland and practicing stuff from this video.