Does "Better Together" Make A Good Case For The Union?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiwolfie, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

No. But neither would an independent scottish government.

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

But nobody actually said that. In fact the Scottish Government said very clearly it wasn't a silver bullet and their would be a lot of hard work a head of us.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Again, not the message I heard.

Mitch

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Attached Files:

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Someone mentioned earlier "it's the British goverments job to act in our best interests".

I met a guy who was working 30 hours a week for free (I think his lunch was paid for?) because he couldn't find work. So they forced him to work for free for "experience". Hardly in his best interest, but the company is getting free labour.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't like those schemes, but I understand the reasoning behind them. Ideological differences. Not malice. I don't know if the scheme has been expanded beyond its original purpose (a favoured tactic of the Tories), but the original scheme was for young people who have no experience of work at all, which basically made it impossible for them to find a job. By making those unemployable young people free labour, they incentivise companies (and I think most were supposed to be charities or similar organisations) to take them on and give experience to the unemployed.

There was also a time limit of a couple of months or so, right? So it couldn't be dragged on indefinitely.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It should. We're not going to get the Empire back on its feet with this minimum wage nonsense.

#SlaveLabourFTW

8. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I wonder ho many hours you would be willing to work for free (whilst still paying all the bills you have now) in order to rebuild your most glorious of empires?

9. Mitch

Also, there is a simple need to get people in to work.

If you have a family, kids, ties, then asking you to move region for work is difficult.

But when I was single and then first married I and Mrs Mitch moved multiple times in a decade to get jobs that we wanted in decent places. That's not unreasonable or outside my own left-leaning politics, that's just normal life. People have to be prepared to do that.

Mitch

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh, I wouldn't be working at all. That is for the peasants.

#ClassElitism

11. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Lol well at least your honest about that

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Is this message your own interpretation or something you actually read, saw on TV or heard?

13. Mitch

Based on my reading of papers, Internet, listening to radio news and watching TV news. Much of the yes campaign could be summed up as, "nah, it'll be great!" With no substance behind it.

Regardless, the result was a convincing no.

Mitch

14. Southpaw535

But instead of replying to that quote, you took it out of context and applied it to everyone across the board who disagrees with the Yes stance. So I stand by calling it a strawman. Plus the picture's cool :p

I won't defend the conservatives much since I've been against almost all of their policies, but as far as economic stuff goes it does seem to be getting results. While I'm ideologically opposed to basically everything they're doing, as was mentioned earlier, the UK has had one of the best recoveries from the recession in the world. We don't hear about that because happy news is crappy news and we like acting as if the UK is some god awful place to live, but there you are.

Do I think my views are being represented well by them? No. But then trying to find a party that would do things my way would be impossible. But, do I think they're representing their voters' views and on the whole acting in a way they think will benefit the country? Yes.

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I would disagree with you on this point. The Tories campaign against the poor, unemployed and disabled is ideological, not fiscal. We're not so hard up that we've had to hound people claiming benefits to the point of suicide or starvation. They've been concerned with an across the board numbers reduction, not a reduce in the numbers of genuine skivers claiming. They don't care who it is.

The economy is indeed recovering, but who's the first in line to get a nice chunk of change? The poor dears only earning 67k a year. I had to live off £72 a week when I was on the dole. Wages have stagnated for a while now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...67000-salary-should-be-increased-9716709.html

16. Southpaw535

That doesn't go against what I said though. I agree with your assessment of their policies but them targeting lower incomes and dicking them over doesn't mean they're not doing it, in their view at least, to help the country as a whole. I don't know economics enough to say how valid it is but I've never felt like they were doing stuff for the sake of being malicious.

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It's hard to say why they're doing it, I've felt sort of the opposite. I don't think they sat in their ivory tower and actively planned for people to die or face eviction, but having seen some of the outcomes of their polices, they didn't reverse their decisions either. I also don't think Cameron is at the point Tony Blair was where he utterly believed his own lies during his stint in charge.

If they wanted to help the country they could start by not claiming ridiculous expenses (and they've all done it to differing degrees), actually chase corporation tax, and various other things that I imagine would be far more lucrative than preventing people claiming a few hundred quid a month. We're all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others.

I am not much of a fan of politicians full stop, in case you can't tell.

18. embra

embra Valued Member

As a species, they are largely a waste of space, but I would rather have some form of democracy than none - so we need somebody to do the job.

Just wish they had motives beyond feathering their own nests. There are a few exceptions e.g. Frank Field.

19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

That's essentially how I feel about them too. A necessary evil.

Personally I expect some nest feathering. It's always been the way, but when that's all they seem to exist for and everyone else can expect permanent austerity, it irks me.

Whilst I dislike the Tories, I don't think any party in charge would actually be much different in this respect. Hence my bat analogy earlier in the thread.

20. Southpaw535

Is it bad that I'd like to get into politics in the future? :p