Orlando Shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hannibal, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

They'll be the inevitable replies, questions on gun control and all that goes with it, but right now I'm with Hannibal and have no words other than shock.

We're all dealing with issues I'm sure, but to have a family member gunned down is beyond comprehension.

So sad.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Holy hell. RIP to all those victims. :(

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Truly appalling.

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Horrific.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Words fail me.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's the nightmare scenario - a heavily armed gunmen in a crowded room. For one person to be capable of such devastation. It's beyond words.

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I have to admit , since the attacks in France I've feared there'd be another similar attack.

9. holyheadjch

It's very much a blueprint isn't it? And so difficult to prevent.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am having some difficulty processing this event. Hits too close to home.

It is a reminder that with our progress, the backlash is very real.

And when we fight against people using hate speech or negative portrayals in the media, it isn't about our feelings getting hurt, but to fight the culture of hatred and bigotry that leads to violence.

This is not the first attack against us in our clubs.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/...ic_history_of_violence_at_lgbtq_clubs_in.html

And there are people out there today celebrating the murder of my fellow GLBT community members. I read an article with tweets (?) and posts of people happy that it was gay "perverts" and "not innocent people" this time. Happy that they woke up to fewer Gay people in the world.

I have watched amazing changes in society in my time on the earth- changes towards acceptance I didn't think I would see in my lifetime. But we aren't out of the woods yet. I always knew this. I always told fellow GLBT people and our supporters that are friends that a certain backlash was going to happen. It always happens with progress. But knowing that in your head doesn't make seeing it actually happen any easier.

I haven't gone to a pride parade/ festival in many many years. But somehow, this one feels like the time to go again. To make a statement. To remember the true origins and meaning of GLBT Pride events - which has always been about standing proud in the face of persecution. I have read from friends on Facebook that they feel the same way.

I know this isn't only about the GLBT community. It is about radical Islamic extremist group terrorism. It is about a culture where mass shootings are just all too common in other communities too - moviegoers, schools, workplace shootings. But part of it IS about GLBT hatred. It is a sobering reminder.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The sad thing is that the fact it took place in a gay nightclub will mean there are whole swathes of the population (christian AND muslim) that will shrug and not be as bothered as if it was a group of hetero people.

12. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

13. holyheadjch

If you agree to appear on Sky News, why would you be surprised to find yourself on Sky News?

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

More lives taken for hateful lies. One day......one day I hope...

15. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Actually, it appears that these lives were taken because of society's dismissal of mental issues rather than due to religious doctrine. As they dig more into the shooter's background, he was apparently bi-polar, with no help sought or given for it. ISIS and radical Islam appears to be a convenient excuse and outlet for his insanity rather than the cause.

16. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Such very sad news :(

The ISIS "machine" is doing a far too good job of assimilating people who are capable of such acts.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

On one hand people will use that disorder to ignore radical Islamic groups co-opting/being an excuse for/influencing people like this into perpetrating their acts of religious violence, while on the other the gun community will once again use it as an excuse to shuffle off any responsibility toward ease of access to firearms while never actually putting any funding into mental health treatment.

Excuses all around

18. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

I guess this causes a couple of conundrums for the right wing. On the on hand, a "Mooooslim" did the killing, bad. OTOH, he killed "teh Geys", good.

Same with the "more guns". More guns would have prevented that. But that means arming "teh Geys".

I feel deeply for what happened. my son is part of that community, by extension, I'm part of that community.

19. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

kind of an ignorant statement to say that right wingers are happy that it was gays killed. Christian scripture teaches to hate the sin, but love the sinner.

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think it's a little more complicated than that...