Ninjutsu Cardiff

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Mikeo986, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Mikeo986

Mikeo986 New Member

Good morning MAP,
    I am new to this site and looking for some advice on my local schools. I have done karate and may Thai very briefly in the past but over the last few years I have been lazy both physically and mentally.
    I am 30 years old and currently in a bit of a rut when it comes to life. I want to start up a martial art again to assist in getting my focused and physically fit again.
    I have had a brief look into ninjutsu and wish to see if it's for me. My local schools are

http://www.cardiffninja.co.uk

And

http://www.bujinkancardiff.co.uk

I enjoy traditional aspects of martial arts as well as practical.
    If anyone could shed any light on these clubs it would be greatly appreciated.
    This is not a post to slander any club it's just some information for myself to help me decide.

Thanks all,
    Mike

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The first one is under the Budowarriors group, generally they have a poor reputation,
    The second one seems much much better.

try both, but definitely try the second one first.

3. shinsen

shinsen Valued Member

I'm not going to comment on these two groups but they aren't your only option for training in Cardiff, there is also Jinenkan training available at our Dojo which trains at the same venue in Fairwater as the first group you linked to.

It depends on what you are looking for with regards to which of the groups will suit you best. If you want to learn a martial art in a structured manner and have feedback about whether you are doing things correctly, then this is available locally. If you aren't too bothered about a structured approach and just want a new social activity, this is also available.

Which of the available options fits you best is up to you and I would check them all out, I'd also ask questions of the instructors before committing, such as what is their background in these arts? How long have they been training and under what teacher(s)? Do they have a current instructor and if so, how often do they train with them? If they say that their instructor is Japanese, how well does he know them? You would be amazed at the number of people who claim to be personal students of teachers based on attendance at a large class a couple of times every few years when often, the teacher doesn't know the personal students name.

4. Mikeo986

Mikeo986 New Member

Thank you both for your replies.
    I'm looking for a martial art that can help improve my life.
    A bit of background on myself.
    I am 30 years old former military. I havnt done allot of fitness since leaving the military which at my own fault has put me in a pretty unfit way. I also have developed a muscle imbalance in my legs and back. I have always admired the martial arts as both physical and in mind. What im after is a martial art that will help me to focus and start sorting out my body as well as my mind. I would like it to be practical and traditional with genuine roots and heritage.

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Go with Shinsen's dojo then.

Just keep in mind that practicality and traditional martial arts can be a bit of a minefield.

Good luck with it all and enjoy the journey.

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

A lesser spotted Jinenkan school!

Worth a try for its rarity if nothing else.