Orlando Shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hannibal, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't get why homosexuality would be a matter of morality. It's like asking whether sheep are morally wrong - there's no moral dimension to them, they just exist.

You can be gay and morally wrong - if you do nasty things - or you can be gay and morally right - if you do nice things. I don't see how the gay part reflects on the moral part.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Out of interest how does the Christian view of homosexuality compare with what's found in Buddhism?

3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I'm not saying that solution is better. It's not. I'm saying it's viable and has its silver lining. I'd like to snap my fingers and make people change but fighting how nurture is often a lost cause. Some are beyond help and for those and - when and if they are allowed to refuse service to whomever based on bronze age beliefs - I'd rather know who they are.

4. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

"Morally straight". The wording is insidious.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I guess maybe there's some numeric tipping point where if you live within an environment in which homosexuality is accepted your business is hurt vs if you live in a bigoted area and you wind up creating apartheid. I guess my conception of history is that, in general, minority rights were secured through grass roots efforts that eventually initiated a top down change - not through people collectively deciding to not be bigoted anymore.

6. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Well, I'm all for business not being given the right to refuse service to gays so... but I also think that societal change doesn't trigger an immediate cultural shift. I think those grass root efforts take a generation or two to bring true cultural change. Cue those thanksgiving dinner reunions where the family cringes everytime grandma or grandpa so-and-so drops bombs on race or sexual orientation.

"Well, you know, that's how they 'spoke' back then..."

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think that sort of change comes about through the top down "Yes, black men can serve in the military," "No you can't segregate schools," sorts of changes, otherwise the status quo just well, remains the status quo.

8. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I agree with that.

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Out of interest, does this make the USA nothing but a lie for giving women the vote and freeing the slaves after years of insisting that the opposite was correct?

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

To imbue the boy scouts with any notion of holding on to "truth" is an idea even more ridiculous than the wackiest nonsense organised religion can come up with.
    I'm finding it hard to even comprehend that an actual educated adult human with any degree of self awareness could even type such a thing.
    We all know the true guardians of truth in the galaxy are the brownies.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

BBC News have just published some figures on the LGBT community feeling the need to hide their sexuality.

This is ahead of Pride in London, which is taking place this weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36603501

I'd be interested how those figures would read from the LGBT community across the world.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I will always remember a train journey I had from London to the Midlands. There were two guys on board who were obviously together, very much in love, while the train journey itself was fine when they both got off at my stop they immediately stopped anything that could be viewed as affectionate behaviour.

It was extremely sad to see but I imagine 11pm on a Saturday night in Wolverhampton probably isn't the best place to make yourself stand out.

13. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Guess I forgot the /sarcasm tag