Hip/groin flexibility

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AussieGirl, Dec 24, 2016.

1. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

I'm a late comer to the sport (TKD), having started at age 36, nearly 3 years ago. My flexibility has steadily increased since then, but I still struggle with hip/groin flexibility. The stretches we do in class don't seem to reach the right muscles/tendons. Of course, it doesn't seem to effect my younger classmates who pivot and jump at the bags like mini helicopters...

Anyone have some great hip/groin stretch routines they can share?

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I prefer to do barre exercises at a barre/bench/chair. I also like to stretch my turnout with stretch cables (yoga equipment). I have had teachers who like floor barre too. Many good toobz on this out there... here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPLLZvLaowk

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The Cossack sequence in Pavel Tsatsouline's forced relaxation would likely be what you need.

4. Arcaderat5

Arcaderat5 Member

Get into a groin/hip stretch.
    Stay at that position for 30 minutes or so. Read a book while doing so or watch tv. And then release.
    Stay relaxed throughout. Focus on breathing and going into the stretch. Not bouncing.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Take up weight lifting. You will develop flexibility faster (as an adult) when you build strength through the full range of motion in your hips, knees and ankles, and you will benefit from the carryover in joint stability, bone density and motor control.