Lost to a Wrestler

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Pretty In Pink, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Lost to a tough Dagestan wrestler yesterday. My wrestling is weak and I got matched with this guy three weeks out after my original opponent pulled out ( a striker).

I controlled the stand up, got taken down every time though. First round he spent all his gas trying to ground and pound me out. Didn't really land anything and I could see him losing steam. From there it was mostly sub attempts by me and he passed and I recovered.

Second round was the same, inside leg kicks and head kicks from me but I got taken down again. This time I got slammed iirc. Big white light but I recovered. Lots of scrambling and I had a small amount of top position and I almost sunk in a few subs. Third round and now he's quite gassed. Not too much on the feet. I landed a huge knee to the sternum and I felt his breathe leave his body. Had a triangle locked in but for the life of me I couldn't get it finished. Switched to the arm bar and he got out.

All in all it was a frustrating fight. Interesting facing an explosive wrestler. I also enjoyed the fight. I didn't gas and I was the one ready to go for another round. First time I've ever out-cardio'd someone in my life.

Video will be up in the next few weeks hopefully, I'll definitely share with you guys :)

This is my copy and paste from another forum. I wrote it though.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good effort all the same mate. That you can review your performance objectively speaks volumes about your character, which will only serve you well when you hit the big time. Will you be doing more wrestling off the back of this experience then?

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Unlucky Chadderz! People always underestimate just how durable and explosive wrestlers are till they feel it (not saying you did, just that you are in the know where others aren't).

Sounds like an exciting fight though! Can't wait to see.

4. Pretty In Pink

I think if I'd had more time I would have attended the wrestling club here in Edinburgh. I will be going once a week from now on I think. I was a bit hesitant to get my punches off in case he ducked under and started shooting. Definitely need to work on level changes and sprawling more.

I know a couple of guys who fight like that. Normally I catch a sub but I just couldn't in this fight. I had a few close ones though. A triangle in the third round that I was so close it was infuriating! Haaha :)

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If its who I think it is, he's a Pete Irving guy. Who is as tough as they come as it is.
    Plus you probably wrestled a guy who wrestled bears as a child (a la Khabib)

Tough going dude. When's the next one?

6. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Good work fella - wrestlers are awful tough but it doesn't sound as if he put you into too much difficulty

7. Pretty In Pink

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Looking forwards to the vid, seeing you fight is always a highlight :D

9. Pretty In Pink

He was and he was tough. I've got two booked for next year already. I want to stay super busy.

10. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Live and learn. I am sure you gave.your all. Wrestlers at their worst are tough opponents. I would rather go against a boar than a mad wrestler.

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Nice one Chadderz. Sounds like you got a lot out of this experience wise and from what you said it wasn't one sided and you were in better condition and controlled the standing game well plus a few submission attempts, bit more experience and you might of won. You found what you need to work on and will be a better fighter because of it but I am sure Guru Rick has said this already.

The hotter the forge the better the steel!

Looking forward to the video.

12. Pretty In Pink

"National Junior Freestyle Wrestling Champion of Dagestan".

God damn.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How old was this child when you fought him?

Haha only joking brother!

14. Pretty In Pink

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTB7crmdd1s"]Ghadziev vs. Hepburn rd.1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJCGMEwmII4"]Ghadziev vs. Hepburn rd. 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnrTd_Sv394&feature=youtu.be"]Ghadziev vs. Hepburn rd.3 - YouTube[/ame]

I'd rather these didn't go on MAP's twitter if that's alright guys?

15. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Dam Chadderz! That was awesome. I enjoyed watching this! He really is an incredible wrestler. I never took to grappling but watch a lot of MMA/UFC. Are you planning to go pro one day? You sure have got the potential!

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Good fight!

IMO, the best counter against single leg and double legs is the moment that your opponent drops, the moment that you put both of your hands in front of your knees. This way, his hands have to pass your hands in order to reach to your legs. If your opponent moves in, you should be able to "under hook" both of his shoulders, keep him away from getting your leg/legs or waist.

If your opponent drops too fast, you can just punch on his shoulder to keep him away.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  17. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Great fight!
    Kudos for that arm bar escape in R2

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Nice triangle attempt at the end of rd3 there!

I like how you used your guard (nice and high with those long legs to threaten subs when you were in closed guard) and thought it looked like you were gonna hit the omoplata in rd1 early on?

I dunno if you agree (and I'd have to watch again) but I felt like he was taking you down of the combo (leading with right hook then inside leg kick/knee) which you threw a lot? Maybe he just got your timing quick. Do you reckon if you'd have boxed more and mixed you strikes you'd have had more success keeping it standing?

Dude seemed strong in the scrambles and you did an awesome job weathering some early GnP. If I hadn't of already known the result there were a few times I would have thought you were gonna take a sub victory.

Good job :fight1:

19. Pretty In Pink

I dunno man. Definitely more combinations and more level changing. I talked with his instructor and he said HE gets taken down by the guy. I've got a lot to fix.

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You can find a wrestler, let him try to use single leg and double legs to take you down 15 rounds daily. After 6 months, your chance not to be taken down will be improved.

IMO, try to prevent problem from happening (push away your opponent's shoulder and maintain striking range) is better than to allow a problem to happen and then try to fix it (sprawl) if striking is your main game.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016