Southampton uk systema

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by uksystem, Oct 18, 2016.

1. uksystem

uksystem New Member

Hey guys i hope someone can help me i live in southampton uk and found this site for systema. Im just not sure if hes legit or not. I really want to learn systema but part of me thinks this guy maybe not legit as he says he is choosy about who he teaches and said he is an expat of spetsnaz and he cant discuss who he learned from but he seemed to get very uptight when i asked him where he was trained and accused me of coming to systema paranoid and got very offended but i didnt even say anything offencive just general questions buts its made me suspicious.
    I didnt mean to offend him i just wanted to make sure im going to the right place for me.

Hope someone can help and this is the site.
    http://systemasouthampton.co.uk

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

You could always try it, but personally I wouldn't bother. Systema looks mostly god aweful and is a magnet for 'spec ops wanna be' fantasists. Sounds like instructor hasn't painted theselves in the best light already.

If you do try a lesson, I'd be mindful of the fact that if the person is into googling their own school then this thread might come up and they might figure out who you are.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If you want a really hardcore Russian martial art, SAMBO and Combat SAMBO are much better options.

As soon as someone is avoiding questions like "who taught you?" Then I wouldn't train there.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have a pretty low opinion of systema anyway, and the website is frankly horrible to look at and tells you nothing...thats a warning sign

What is another warning sign is that what he says is a "good example" is yet more of the nonsense that got systema tarnished as a less than optimal system in the first place...it just isn't very good

In Southampton there are a plethora of clubs that offer martial arts with a much better pedigree and far less fluff, so unless systema has some form of (non contact) hold over you I would look elsewhere

What are you hoping to get from your training?

5. Hannibal

One two three all saying the same thing.....that's a hint :)

6. uksystem

uksystem New Member

Thank you guys i didnt trust the site at all either and systema seemed like a good art as ive experimented with the striking myself and it feels im getting a lot of power from not a lot of energy plus ive heard the spetsnaz use it.
    Sambo does appeal to me also however there are no sambo schools near here Southampton is not verybgood for martial arts schools i dont think.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Seems to be loads of martial arts in Southampton.
    There's a UK based Minnesota Kali group there. Rick Faye is top notch.
    I did one google search and found about 7-8 places I'd visit rather than a systema place.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  8. uksystem

uksystem New Member

Yea there is a few places but none of it appeals to me much and ive visited mkg in southampton but there were like 3 people there in a small school hall and it had no groud game there i want a complete system to focus on fma is fun but im not sure of the effectiveness of it still. It looks cool but it seems to be a lot of movement thats unecisary plus if you watch an actual kali stick fight it looks nothing more then two thug looking guys jumping in the air trying to hit eachother as hard as they can all that fast stick fighting is not even used when they fight. It just seems you learn combos for show then you forget it when you actually fight and they want to hit twice on a block. Block and hit the arm then strike. Its just a lot of things that are not needed.
    I am on a journey to develop my own style so i guess jkd mindset is in me.
    It would just be nice to get an all rounder martial art around here thats not mma based muay thai and bjj.
    I want bjj standing up as well. Comometly soft i realise japanese jiu jitsu is that basically but the school in southampton is not full time.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hmmmm...honestly...just pick a place and train for a year. Then have another look around and see if anywhere takes your fancy as your year of experience will give you a better insight. Rinse and repeat.

You seem to be stuck in an endless loop of finding fault with places rather than realising not many places will tick all the boxes and it's better to get stuck in to "something" than do "nothing".

Yeah I don't know your full background but I'd slow that particular roll right down until you actually train in something.

Mushroom likes this.
  10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

judo + bjj = the r34l juj1tsu

http://southamptonjudo.com/

http://www.southamptonbjj.co.uk/instructors.html

+ boxing = 3 areas of unarmed physical vilence covered extremely well.

http://www.innercityboxing.com/

do that for 18mths then call us in the morning.

I accept pay pal for my services.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

But you want to go to Systema...wow!

You're hitting the arm to disable the weapon basically, which could be a fist, knife or stick or whatever. If you're fighting someone with a knife and you attack the arm, he could possibly drop the knife. If the following strike doesn't work out, then at least you possibly have your weapon and he doesn't, giving you a huge tactical advantage.

Most techniques in fights don't look much like how they are trained in the gym...things get sloppy.

As PASmith said...perhaps you should go and try these things, then it would become clearer to you. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of flash stuff in kali, but a group under Rick Faye would really be worth checking out....especially as you have a "JKD mindset".

12. Pretty In Pink

Start with training at a decent school. Literally any decent school.

I highly HIGHLY recommend training in a combat sport first. The less rules the better.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Who?

14. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

That's definitely suspicious behavior of any instructor and it's common among questionable instructors. There's nothing wrong with asking questions about the service you are purchasing. This attitude is setting you up for a cult like environment and it's all too common in martial arts. Also I'd seriously question why you want to learn systema and what you hope to get from it because everything I've seen from what is made publically available suggests systema will not make you a proficient fighter. It might have some use for those with martial arts experience but largely it's an exercise and exploration in in a cooperative movement setting that is very far removed from reality.

15. Pretty In Pink

I just watched the video on their front page. For the love of god do not go there. You will learn nothing that will help you win a fight.

16. Bozza Bostik

My head hangs in shame!

17. Hannibal

Why are you trying to create a new style when you cannot actually do any existing style to any level of competency? You aren't good enough and chances are will never be....nor is it actually necessary

Pick a credible, proven discipline, train in it and get good.... this is much more efficient and will yield results

18. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

What is it about muay thai + bjj that is unappealing to you? You could add judo for stand-up grappling skills.

I find that my main issue is that I don't have time to adequately train in as many arts as I'd like. If I did have the time, I'd probably train boxing, muay thai, judo, bjj, and also try to find regular mma-based sparring where I could use all 4 of those together.

But I don't, so I train judo & japanese jiu jitsu for now. I'm letting that settle in for a while (haven't been doing judo long, and have only been at the JJJ for ~6 months). In a year or two I plan to re-assess. Maybe I'll swap JJJ for Muay Thai or boxing. Maybe I'll have more time to dedicate and can add some bjj.

As others have said, doing something is probably better than doing nothing. Starting with boxing, kickboxing, judo, or bjj would probably be better than starting with a traditional martial art. But if those don't interest you, go with a traditional martial art.

Don't let the hunt for a perfect training routine keep you from training at all while you hunt.

19. Bozza Bostik

There's always army hand to hand combat (That's honestly what it's called). It's like Combat Sambo but with less rules - head butts are ok, striking downed opponents in the head is ok. One of the kids I work with does it and is SPB champion or something.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2jL2MTFK0w&feature=share"]Удары головой в рукопашном бою Смерч. - YouTube[/ame]

20. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

I used to live in Southampton , Alan Gibson's Wing Chun is very good you should check it out. Shirley has or had a very good Korean martial art system.

Mushroom likes this.