This systema video

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by greg1075, Apr 28, 2016.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9qTvkf3cU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9qTvkf3cU[/ame]

Not sure if it's ever been discussed here. Someone posted this in another forum about self-defense. I see a lightning fast guy with awesome technique and lots of fluff. Super lethal one inch punch? Check. Staying in the middle of multiple attackers? Check. Turning your back to multiple attackers? Check. Bump attackers back 10 feet using nothing but your butt? Check. Empty hand strikes to a biker’s helmet? Check. Anyone ever seen this?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It has been doing the rounds for a while - taken as a demo video it's actually pretty good (and the dude has some VERY impressive mechanics) but yes there is a high level of co-operative uke stuff too

I did enjoy it though

3. waterway

waterway New Member

His body mechanics are excellent and he no doubt hits very hard and can generate a lot of force.

Systema is a weird one... it has some really silly looking demos, but anyone I know who's ever actually bothered going to a legit seminar or a class has been reasonably impressed. The problem is because some demos look silly people instantly close their minds and make snap judgements. I'll say this... for anyone wanting to learn how to breath properly for martial arts or life in general, Systema has the best method for breathing I've ever seen.

4. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I heard that about systema re: the breathing methods. No doubt the guy has great mechanics and for that reason alone the video is worth watching. I'm just not sure it's particularly wise to teach to punch people through helmets. The demo is silly at times but yeah there's no denying the guy's abilities. I'd be curious to go a seminar one day to see what it's all about.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbvipmVYGzA[/ame]

Reminds me a little of this.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Systema has some nice stuff but unfortunately it's lost in amongst sheer unadulterated bollocks.

7. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Yeah, I really don't know enough about systema to throw my two cents in. But the clip is pretty impressive, assuming, of course they aren't being overly compliant.

The being said, I whip open the wikipedia page, and this is the opening paragraph:

'Systema (Система, literally meaning The System) is a Russian martial art.[1] Training includes, but is not limited to: hand-to-hand combat, grappling, knife fighting, and firearms training. Training involves drills and sparring without set kata. In Systema, the body has to be free of tensions, filled with endurance, flexibility, effortless movement, and explosive potential; the "spirit" or psychological state has to be calm, free of anger, irritation, fear, self-pity, delusion, and pride.'

And yeah, but humbug meter rises.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Seen him before.. He has done a lot of cross training it looks like and tends to mix things up. He is quick and has some nice techniques and skill. But yea, his videos are a bit showy.. The recent one doing the rounds has an impressive title.. lol

Have done a little Systema with Rob Poynten in the UK in the distant past. It can be decent system in the right hands, I like Rob, he's a good guy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXgTXsJFxWw"]DK Yoo - Talent from God / Video 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

This guy has extensive cross training it would appear
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY_58aCNrhw"]dk yoo - 15 martial arts - YouTube[/ame]

10. waterway

waterway New Member

Rob is a great guy to learn from.

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I recall their breathing methods came from the Greek Orthodox tradition, Russia's Church is Orthodox also, hence the connection.

12. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Seems that way.

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The problem I have is it doesn’t seem to be a simple demo but a seminar he’s doing - so he seems to be actually teaching people to do this stuff. Some of it is good but I can’t get past the multiple attackers stuff, butt-bumping and punching helmets. The guy's mechanics are impressive so it gives anything he shows a lacquer of credibility but some of it is no more cogent to me than the bottom of the barrel SD videos that abound on YouTube.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Related to something I was saying in the Hung Gar thread, I feel this is one of the real risks with esoterocism in martial arts.
    I'm also dubious about systems that retcon their own history.

15. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I am really not impressed. It looks good for show and tell. I have no real experince with systema though.

16. waterway

waterway New Member

What exactly didn't impress you?

17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well the guy moves very well and clearly has fantastic proprioceptive and somatic abilities but the applications look crap. The multiple attacker stuff with the takedown that turns into a waist level hug is especially poor. Looking at the bits that include even a tiny bit of pressure (hardly anything) you can see cracks such as reaching for the jab parry. I doubt any of this holds up against actually pressure other than the stuff you could do preemptively.

18. Dead_pool

Secret christian breathing traditions?

Or simply repackaged IMA without the form practise, with added 50 plus years of evolution without any direct pressures.

19. Dead_pool

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45BGVjgHJww[/ame]

What does everyone think of this?

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

My thoughts pretty much.