New Supporting Membership Feature

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Aegis, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's been a while since we did anything for our supporters, but one new development is worth mentioning. You may have noticed that the site has undergone some cosmetic changes today, including a slight tweaking of the top menu and re-write of the old FAQ, which apparently hadn't been done since about 2008. I've also made a change to the position of adverts on the forum, which may have resulted in a few people seeing some fairly unusual ad placements in the last few days.

Now, no-one likes adverts when they're browsing their favourite forums, and since the adverts are only there to pay for the forum to keep running it makes sense to reward people who pay for the supporting membership accounts.

As a result, from today onwards, supporting members will not see the top or bottom banner ads or those appearing just beneath the navigation bar.

Supporting memberships are available for £10 a year.

Any questions, contact me by PM or email.

Cheers
    Aegis

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I knew there was something different! The last day or so when I log on I've been getting the feeling like I'm walking into my home and somebody came in and moved my desk a couple inches or something. I just couldn't place what happened. My mind is at ease now.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

hi Aegis,
    Just a quick question:
    Have some of the skins for the forum being made 'supporters only'?
    I usually have the 'classic map' skin, however, that option is no longer available in the drop-down at the bottom of the site now??

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm a supporting member and the options that I can see are MAP Power Blue (my prefered choice) and Mobile MAP.

5. Dan Bian

Yeah, those are the two options I have..

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Damn, and all this time I've been using Adblocker :p

7. Aegis

I've been playing with the settings recently and decided to make life easier for myself by removing the skins that I thought no-one was using. I can very easily add it again if there's sufficient demand for it, but could I ask you to give it a couple of weeks to see if you get used to it?

Cheers!

8. Dan Bian

It's not a problem lol

I'm sure I'll adjust... :eek:

9. Aegis

Always an option, however:

1. This is a nicety added for people who like the site and want to find a way to remove the adverts that also helps keep this place running, and
    2. I'm not averse to running ads hosted directly on the site for a fee, and adblock is unlikely to get rid of those (as they won't be served by an advertising network) ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It also eats up more megabytes for me than if I was a supporting member.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Dammit, all this time I thought my page wasn't fully loading.