Unable to Kiai - Is this a roadblock?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DarkNozomi, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Unless you're doing a style that assigns specific sounds specific meanings or purposes independently of the physical training (esoteric, psychological, sociocultural, or whatever), your instructor does not sound like someone with any idea of what they're doing and talking about.

A kiai is a method to help develop correct usage of the breathing muscles to support the torso for stronger movements. Making noise is something that helps a teacher more or less identify by ear if a student is breathing correctly, but fixating on the sound is asinine, and holding back a student because of it is something I will describe only as deplorable, for the sake of being diplomatic.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Lots of good advice in here, I'll add my pithy two cents. Worry less about the sounds you're trying to force out, and more about the sounds you're forcing out of your opponent :D

3. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Other than it not sounding like other people in the class, why is this a problem and for what reason does it make your kiai not a kiai?

If it isn't physically hurting you, a high-pitched kiai doesn't seem like such a terrible thing. Like others have said, the sound is incidental. I've heard all sorts of kiais in my time, covering a pretty broad spectrum of pitches, volumes, lengths and dramatic value.

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Kiai can be thought of as a form of communication between you and your opponent - it doesn't have to be a particular pitch or sound

Having several forms of kiai allow you to get different effects and are useful at different times. So having a broad repertoire is helpful. Your medical issues may limit your range, but shouldn't stop you utilising kiai in your training

Actually there are kinds of kiai that have no noise....

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Quoted in entirety because i dont know how to say it better.