How about we bonsai, why not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by philosoraptor, May 26, 2013.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Honestly have no idea - It would probably work, I mean, it's not rocket science. Just make sure when fertilizing to understand the dynamics of soil/particle size/watering. You fertilize more, you're going to need to water more to stop the buildup of salts. You water more you're gonna need better drainage, which means inorganic soils and particle size depending on the size of the pot, etc. Are you in the US? I'd recommend going with Green Dream, that is my favorite, but I'm really tempted to experiment with biogold.

Neptune's Harvest is really good too.

Rhizotonic and HB101 aren't really fertilizers, but they're cocktails of plant hormones that are pretty damn awesome.

I actually wind up doing a ton of reading about how marijuana growers are treating their plants because I mean, those guys KNOW what they are doing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Nope, in sunny UK. Thanks. Yeah, I've heard Biogold gets rave reviews!

3. philosoraptor

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com

This dude sells green dream and has some of the most entertaining videos on bonsai creation ever.

4. Zeek805

Zeek805 New Member

I live in Santa Barbara, California. I am about 2 blocks from the ocean. Lately, California has been really dry. I've been monitoring the moisture of the soil, and watering accordingly. Haven't purchased fertilizer yet, that is my next step. The tree gets about 3-4 hours of direct sun, and shade the rest of the day.

5. philosoraptor

Good news is that that's an ideal climate for junipers. Bad news is you likely won't get optimal growth from 3-4 hours direct sun, but that's ok. More than enough to keep the tree alive. Easy trick for checking soil moisture is dipping a chopstick in and then seeing if any particulates stick to it. If they do, you're fine, if not, water.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Finnnnaaaalllllllyyyyyyyyyy

Attached Files:

7. philosoraptor

Nice, give it a good watering. Any broken branches?

8. Ero-Sennin

No broken branches and that's the first thing I did was water it! I could only get her about an hour of sun though unfortunately.

Oh, and styrofoam cheetos are a real big pain to pick out of grass 0_0

9. philosoraptor

I've been extremely upset about the election results, but on Saturday Mauro Stemberger came to my house to yell at me about my wiring for eight hours. We styled a few trees and I think it's safe to say that I did the best wiring I ever have in my life.

[​IMG]

That night I dreamt of bonsai and got woken up by Lauren because the cuts on my fingers were bleeding everywhere. Still can't feel my fingertips.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Really nice of you to do that for Ero!

You have restored my faith in mankind....a tiny, tiny bit!

And how did you do that picture?

11. Ero-Sennin

I'm going to take another photo here in about a week. I think the tree is really happy here in Florida! Lots of little green bits popping up everywhere. :Alien:

12. philosoraptor

I mean, Ero did pay for it, it's not like this is a tree charity.

I think my friend used a filter or something on it? Prisma? Does that make sense?

13. Ero-Sennin

She's looking sexy isn't she ^__^

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. Ero-Sennin

I don't know why I have such a hard time posting images : P

15. philosoraptor

Looking good Ero! You reached out to any teachers about showing you how to wire yet?

[​IMG]

Here's the tree I wired up. :]

16. Zeek805

Zeek805 New Member

My juniper is looking a bit yellow/brown. I am meticulous with watering and the tree gets a solid 4 hour or so of direct sun. Suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. philosoraptor

Hmm, could be winter coloration. I'd try to get it more sun if you can.

18. Zeek805

Zeek805 New Member

I'll try to find a space with more sun. We've had some cold nights recently, so maybe that's it. Thanks!

19. philosoraptor

How often are you watering it? I tend to back off in the autumn - without as much heat the trees don't need to be watered as often. Which reminds me, I GOTTA GO WATER :D

20. Ero-Sennin