Milk & Dairy - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Is dairy and specifically milk good or bad for you?

This girl says it's really bad for you but I dunno.

Sources for evidence please :D

2. ned

ned Valued Member

Mark Rippetoe recommends milk for those on his starting strength programme but it may not be suitable for those over a certain age/weight ; see here

http://startingstrength.com/training

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Not really, but why is she saying it's bad for you? Would make the question easier to answer.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There's a lot if pseudo wow about milk being 'bad' for you due to toxins/hormones , these claims are obviously not true.

What did the 'girl' actually claim?

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The basis of most of these arguments isn't experimental studies on humans but rather the arguments that consuming milk after infancy isn't natural. This completely discounts the fact that the gross majority of what humans eat doesn't consist of foods native to the small region humans initially evolved in. Other animals, like Pandas, have adapted their diets to foods which are "unnatural" for them. The ability to process milk and milk products was enough of an adaptive advantage that a mutation allowing humans to do so after infancy persisted in a good percentage of the human population, and humans developed cultured dairy products which could be better processed by those who couldn't handle lactose. That was in an environment even more harsh than the one we live in now.

So until someone shows clear, definitive experimental data that milk is definitely harmful to humans I call nonsense on that. Whether it's suboptimal is another question and I've never seen anyone provide clear evidence on that either.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't care. Cheeeeeeeeeese.

Mitch :D

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Last holidays I spent 2 months on an island in Indonesia. No refrigeration, no milk products. I lost 3 inches around my waist, I was healthier and fitter. since coming back I have coconut milk on my porridge/ muesli, and lactose free milk in tea. Given up butter and cheese all together. Personally feel much better for it. The wait stayed off for 5 months until Christmas when I fell off the wagon with the cheese.

Ben gun has a lot to answer for.

9. kingzcq

kingzcq New Member

I think the milk is a good nutritional supplements, rich in protein, enhance muscle growth, muscle growth, after contact, explosive force will increase

10. Jackie6419

Jackie6419 Banned Banned

Hi everyone;
    Milk and dairy products are very good for your health such as Yogurt, cheese and cream are very good for our health it helps to maintain the bones as well as keep our bones strong.