Brazilian jujitsu or Japanese jujitsu (for a police officer)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rocketking, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Rocketking

Rocketking New Member

Hi everyone! I will soon be a police officer so I'm going to train Brazilian jujitsu or Japanese jujitsu (aka traditional jujitsu). Could you point the basic differences between them and propose one for the job of police officer?

Thanks.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Brazilian jujuitsu is much more similar to newaza in judo, it's full contact, but no striking.

Japanese jujuitsu is more about throwing and standing joint locks, although I have heard its never really practiced with much emphasis on sparring or live drills.

I'd actually go for BJJ, and wrestling/judo if its available. It's more live and easier to find high quality instruction, JJJ can vary widely.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think it really depends on what kind of JJJ club it is. They can be vastly different.

Where are you based Rocketking? You could have the worst BJJ club next door to you and the best JJJ club next to that.

It's not always simply about the style, but about the club. If you let us know the rough location where you are at, someone can point you in the right direction.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'd go with judo where the aim of the game is to take someone to the floor and hold them there. You only need to look at recent times for cases where strangles and chokes can have poor outcomes in law enforcement.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Which country you gonna be a Police Officer at? (Cultural differences n whatnot)

I would echo Judo and Wrestling primarily.

6. Rocketking

Rocketking New Member

I'm from Greece so I don't think you can help but thanks.. Anyway what I know is that bjj is more about ground fighting and more sport oriented but jjj is dirtier so I think that jjj is more useful than bjj for a police officer. maybe I'm wrong correct me.

7. Pretty In Pink

False logic man. It's not what you train it's HOW you train. Every BJJ club worth it's salt spars regularly and drills. A lot of JJJ places don't spar on the false premise that it's "too dangerous". Don't buy into stuff like that.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

there is plenty of holding people down in bjj, wereas most jjj techniques will get you suspended for excess force if they work (which they wont, due to the lack of sparring).

judo, bjj or a decent mma class is your best bet.

9. Dead_pool

there is plenty of holding people down in bjj, wereas most jjj techniques will get you suspended for excess force if they work (which they wont, due to the lack of sparring).

judo, bjj or a decent mma class is your best bet.

10. Rocketking

Rocketking New Member

what is sparring?

11. Rocketking

Rocketking New Member

well let's say that there is the perfect teacher of jjj and the perfect teacher of bjj. which one should a police officer choose?

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wrestling

Failing that BJJ

13. Pretty In Pink

If you could get me the perfect example of the best combatant in JJJ vs Rickson Gracie in his prime, I would pick Rickson.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

First off. There are plenty of Police Officers who are not trained in anything apart from what they are taught at Police school.
    The extra martial arts is a bonus but not necessary.

Yes BJJ teaches chokes, holds, arm bars etc...however just because you know how to, doesn't mean you "have" to, in the situation.
    Its good to learn in case it gets used on you though.

15. Pretty In Pink

This is a fair point, I actually think police officers would be better with wrestling or judo first.

16. Rocketking

Rocketking New Member

How about a street fight? which is more effective?

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Have you REALLY just asked that question?

wow...............................................

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^^ Agreed.

Due to the popularity of MMA right now I would expect very BJJ school to heavily emphasize sparring and resistance drills, which will naturally result in effective skill. I would not expect to find that same training at every JJJ school. That's a point in favor of BJJ.

On the other side, as a policeman won't you be carrying a lot of gear on your belt and shirt? Where I live policemen carry a lot of stuff, and I really don't think they want to wrestle a "bad guy" on the ground with all that stuff they're carrying. It's far better for them to remain on their feet. JJJ styles vary in how much they wrestle versus how much they fight upright, but all of the varieties I've seen favor the standing game. That's a point for JJJ.

Final answer: visit the schools near you.

19. Dead_pool

eh?

How does MMA (a ruleset) impact what BJJ clubs always have done?

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

BJJ is a significant component of most fighter's game. Even if they begin with a NCAA wrestling background, professional fighters tend to complement that with training in BJJ submissions.