Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

oracle potato (predicts hilariousness):

1h weightlifting:
    regular stuff, then front squats.

front squat:
    60kg 1x4
    70kg 1x4
    80kg 1x3
    90kg 1x2
    95kg 2x1
    80kg 4x1
    tfw our 20 and 10kg plates are for all intents and purposes the same size (the 20s are a tiny fraction larger), and i started with 60 and thought it was 40. failed a third 95 then did some half-assed 80s.

btn push press:
    60kg 1x5
    65kg 1x4
    70kg 1x3
    75kg 1x2
    skipped the strict presses, failed 80 a bunch (need way more volume with 75), moved to jerks. somewhere around here the head coach told us of a medieval fair tomorrow that's gonna be hosting highland games, and which as many of us as can and want are going to go to for extreme lulz :D. this is going to be hilarious.

btn split jerk:
    70kg 1x2
    75kg 1x2
    80kg 1x2
    85kg 1x2
    90kg 1x1
    did 3-4 tries with 90, only got one with horrible technique, then bailed and joined in with a tacfit workout again (they're pretty fun).

20min tacfit:
    my endurance (read: my lack of endurance) continues to betray me, but my performance this time wasn't too bad. what was bad is that the tacfit guy makes me calculate things after doing it, and i lose any and all capacity to do so :p (rather pathetically, i became completely unable to do basic division)

2. Fish Of Doom

haggis potato:

1.5h weightlifting:
    went early, and it turns out pedro was there early as well to do his own training, so i joined in, then did the regular class. btn jerks and some drills and pause lifts for snatch and clean.

one-arm row:
    40kg 1x5
    44kg 1x5
    60kg 1x5
    40kg 1x10
    then my regular playing around stuff. one arm rows, which i'm logging here, random triples on ohp with 60kg, which i'm not, and also some wall handstand pushups and a bit of tomfoolery with a 16kg clubbell. the 60 here was with a bar, the rest all with 2 KBs.

then the head coach and i went to the highland games thing i mentioned in the :) thread.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

High land games - it counts as martial arts!

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If it's any consolation, the same thing happens to me in such situations. :hat: It's good to keep a pen and scrap paper handy for doing long division. :cool:

5. Fish Of Doom

multifarious potato:

hang snatch:
    20, 30, 40, 45, 50kg, ALL THE SINGLES!!!
    went in WAY early, and did a cubic crapton of foam rolling and prehab type stuff before working on my snatch. did hang snatches from the hip, and once i started losing the bar too much, i did some full snatches from the floor.

full snatch:
    50kg ALL THE SINGLES!!
    didn't even bother counting, just did singles over and over again on both lifts over an hour and a half.

farmer's walk:
    16kg 12m
    32kg 12m
    40kg 25m
    some farmer's walks for shiggles after i started failing the full snatches. after these i bought cheese and a chocolate milk to munch on while i waited for pedro.

1h weightlifting:
    today he decreed that my squat is slow as fuark and must be made faster. also a bunch of split jerk work (i'm closer to jerking 100 behind the neck, but it doesn't quite happen yet)

plank:
    +20kg 0:30
    +40kg 0:30
    +60kg 0:30
    le post weightlifting weighted planks.

1h crossfit:
    actual crossfit, for shiggles. we did cindy, and i got 17 rounds (my pullup endurance needs a lot of work though)

6. matveimediaarts

Hey Fish, when you do stuff like split jerks, power cleans, etc, do you throw the bar down when you finish a rep? I notice some people do and some don't. It seems a strange thing to me, as you lose the benefit of the negative rep, and it could fark up the plates or bar (I think?). It's prohibited at my gym, so I've never done it. Thanks! :)

7. Fish Of Doom

it's a safety measure, and olympic lifting equipment is specifically designed for it. olympic lifts also have no eccentric phase in the first place, and aren't muscle building exercises :p (although they and their variations can be adapted for that use). i sometimes drop it and sometimes not, but i don't really pay much attention to it.

cardio potato:

clean to thruster:
    30kg 1x3
    40kg 1x3
    45kg 1x3
    50kg 1x3
    55kg 1x3
    60kg 1x3
    65kg 1x3
    i've started doing some of the CF classes along with one of the locals who also does the open gym training and who i've befriended, so today was just a quick thingy before the class. full cleans with a push press while standing up.

clean and jerk:
    60kg 1x3
    65kg 1x3
    70kg 1x3
    some cleans and jerks while eating a very late lunch (by late lunch i mean i bought food mid-workout at 7:30 PM :p). was gonna do a bit more but the aforementioned local dropped by and i helped him a bit with his clean technique.

1h CF:
    goddamn cardio, you'll be the death of me someday. otoh the good part about being a relatively fast bugger when doing strength moves is that having 10 minutes to spare to do those last 30 burpees is a very liberating feeling :p

8. Fish Of Doom

wednesday potato:

1h weightlifting:
    wednesday weightlifting with pedro. logged late because i had DnD immediately after and then went to bed. pedro has some strange ideas on what constitutes a deadlift :p

9. matveimediaarts

:confused: Dungeons And Dragons?

10. Fish Of Doom

11. Fish Of Doom

purring potato:

1h weightlifting:
    snatch work and a bunch of stretching for deeper squats. weak as a poliomielitic kitten today.

hang power clean and press:
    40kg 1x3
    50kg 1x3
    55kg 1x3
    60kg 1x2
    blaaaaargh, no pressing power

power clean and press:
    60kg 15x1
    untimed, some way uglier than others.

behind the neck thruster:
    20kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    60kg 1x5
    originally intended to squat, but my hips were so borked it hurt just sitting in the hole with the empty bar, so i did a crapton of foam rolling and decided to just do some overhead stuff.

behind the neck push press:
    60kg 1x2
    65kg 1x2
    70kg 1x2
    75kg 1x4
    70kg 1x5
    65kg 1x5
    60kg 1x7
    went for 5 on 75 but failed the last one.

ohp:
    60kg 2x2
    for lulz.

double KB swing:
    2x20kg 2x10
    2x24kg 3x10
    bit awkward, but it'll have to do.

12. Fish Of Doom

meat and potatoes:

1h crossfit:
    today the box held open air workouts in a local park, so i went along for a WOD and nearly died of cardio again :p. after that we had a BBQ in the box, and then we trained some more :p

ohp:
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    60kg 1x5
    post BBQ lifting. overheads make me a happy man

btn thruster:
    60kg 2x5
    bit blargh, but not too shabby.

btn PP:
    60kg 1x5
    65kg 1x5
    70kg 1x5
    ditto. bit tired and my calf was threatening to cramp, so left the overheads at that.

chin-up:
    10/6
    dead hang to sternum. blargh. also played around with the 16kg clubbell a bit.

13. Fish Of Doom

victorious potato:

hang power snatch:
    30kg 1x3
    35kg 1x3
    40kg 1x3
    45kg 1x3
    50kg 1x3
    HPS set from the hip, rest, hang snatch set from the hip, rest, repeat. went early today, spent like half an hour warming up and foam rolling so my hips would behave, then snatched a bit while waiting for pedro.

hang snatch:
    30kg 1x3
    35kg 1x3
    40kg 1x3
    45kg 1x3
    50kg 1x3
    le hang snatches from the hip.

1h weightlifting:
    mostly cleans, and also some paused clean deadlifts (worked up to 120kg 3x4 with pauses at above knee and mid-thigh, no extension). after this pedro decided that we'd had some fun and we all did a small squatting contest (heaviest single in excess of bodyweight, and most reps with 1xBW).

back squat:
    80kg 1x1
    100kg 1x1
    110kg 1x1
    60kg 1x40
    not entirely sure who won the first part, but none of us were sure what we actually weighted either :p. i, being a light-ass bugger, handily won the max reps part with 40 at 60kg against pedro's 32 with 95, followed by a 75kg guy with 20 :p

BTN ohp:
    20kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 5/4/4/4/4
    did some overhead stuff after pedro left. bar speed was good with 50 today.

BTN PP:
    60kg 1x5
    wasn't really up for proper push pressing by now so i decided to do some jerks instead.

BTN power jerk:
    60kg 2x10
    lol.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  14. Fish Of Doom

vespertine potato:

paused back squat:
    20kg 1x3
    30kg 1x3
    40kg 1x3
    50kg 1x3
    60kg 1x3
    70kg 1x20
    a very uncharacteristic early morning workout appears! paused squats and ohp before uni. focused on uprightness and fast concentric on the squats, with a 2-3sec pause, and brought my little plates to build press volume at a more moderate weight without going down to 55 which is just insulting :p). will try to do another morning session tomorrow as i can't make it to pedro's class.

ohp:
    20kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    57.5kg 5x5
    le ohp.

15. Fish Of Doom

also yeserday was WLing with pedro but i was destroyed from lack of sleep due to uni work so it was rather crappy

16. matveimediaarts

Nothing wrong with light weights, IMO (unless they're so light they don't offer any resistance). An old coach told me that light weight with excellent form is better than ginormous weights with crap form.

Keep up the good work, bro. I'll have to find a coach like you have one of these days. Seems to be helping you. :)

17. Fish Of Doom

decadent potato:

power clean:
    55kg 1x5
    had an event at uni so stayed until late hours and went straight to the box to play a bit before it closed. 1 plate on 15kg bar.

power clean and press:
    60kg 5x1
    20kg bar. bodyweight press with no warmup pleases me

deadlift:
    100kg 5x10
    all double overs, no chalk. basically speed reps with little in the way of an eccentric phase. then i went to mcdonald's :p. sweet, sweet fitness decadence :3 (no more mickey D's until at least november, though)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  18. Fish Of Doom

blargh potato:

ohp:
    53kg 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/7/6/5/4/3/3
    at home with standard bar after some warmup with KBs. i continue to maintain that non-olympic bars are a royal pain the ****. also yesterday i trained with pedro but didn't log it.

19. Fish Of Doom

labour potato (PUSH! PUSH! PUSH!):

1h weightlifting:
    pedro also independently came to the conclusion that my lifts aren't going to move until my squat does, so he's put me on what seems to be a modified version of the routine he wanted me to do before and which my schedule screwed with, but with the strength lifts having primacy over the actual oly lifts (to the point of skipping the latter if necessary). we'll see what happens.

power clean and press:
    40kg 1x3
    50kg 1x3
    52.5kg 1x3
    55kg 1x3
    57.5kg 1x3
    60kg 1x3
    62.5kg 1x2
    65kg 1x1
    67.5kg 1x1
    aiming for a press PR but didn't get it. hit my prior PR though, so that's good. 70 ground up about 3/4 of the way up, and then i ran out of triceps juice or something (slowest grind ever). that's a fair bit of progress over my previous attempts, so i'm pleased, even though i failed the rep.

ohp:
    60kg 5/3
    left shoulder was bugging me from the heavy attempts, so not much volume. not bad after a failed PR attempt grind, though.

close-grip pull-up:
    10/5
    all from dead hang. first set was a mess, swinging all over the place and having to reset multiple times. second one was slower to avoid swinging, then did another set of half-pull-ups with the same grip. i have the endurance of a sandcastle.

close-grip half pull-up:
    lol.

20. Fish Of Doom

a priori-a posteriori potato:

tuesday workout:

back squat:
    70kg 1x5
    80kg 1x5
    90kg 2x5
    100kg 2x4
    blargh, weak day. doing what pedro sent me. 100 was WAY heavier tan it should have been.

snatch balance:
    40kg 1x6
    45kg 1x6
    52.5kg 2x4
    55kg 2x3
    this continues to be extremely hit and miss for me depending on the state of my lower body. quad foam rolling and calf stretching are pretty much obligatory for any sort of snatching right now.

weighted jumps:
    30kg 5x5
    blargh.

wednesday workout:

plank:
    +20kg 1min
    +40kg 0:30
    +60kg 0:30
    pedro wasn't in today because his son is sick, so i did some varied stuff with another of the oly guys before going with pedro's routine. only gonna log the planks, but also did some snatch balances, some presses, etc.

power snatch:
    40kg 1x3
    45kg 1x3
    52.5kg 1x3
    warmup for snatch DLs

snatch deadlift:
    52.5kg 1x4
    57.5kg 1x4
    60kg 2x4
    72.5kg 2x3
    need to check if i'm calculating the weights right... anyway, snatch DLs (not snatch-grip DL, snatch DL, with the same body motion as in a snatch pull)

power clean:
    55kg 1x4
    62.5kg 1x3
    72.5kg 2x2
    ditto. also weak today, the 72.5 were horrible.

clean deadlift:
    72.5kg 1x5
    80kg 1x5
    90kg 2x5
    100kg 4x4
    my form on these deteriorates almost instantly, but they're pretty fun. i prefer these paused, though, so maybe i'll pause a bit next time. tomorrow is back squats, push presses and more weighted jumps.