BJJ Newbie: Looking for affordable gi's even used. Is AWMA's ProForce and RevGear ok?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by littlebadboy, Jun 17, 2015.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

Hello everyone! I'm a Dad of a 5-year old daughter and a 17-year old boy. I registered them both in BJJ classes. I got interested in it so I registered myself too! Problem is 3 gi's would be very costly for me and I'm in a low paying job at the moment.

I found a deal for my little one, AWMA's ProForce K00 and I would probably share a RevGear Ultimate Starter Gi with my son. Are these brands and specs okay? And just in case we become worthy... is it good for competition too?

Thanks everyone!

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Get the 5 year old a judo gi, gi s are all really the same, and most makes have sales a few times a year, its common to get at least 50% off these, so second hand ones arnt really worth the risk.

Bjj super deals regularly have them on so try there!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Congrats on joining a bjj v lass!

Pro tip:

Gis ate expensive! Why pay for a good BJJ gi when you can buy a good judo Gi for a third of the price?

They are basically the same thing :)

Good luck!

4. littlebadboy

A Judo gi would really work?

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It's essentially the same thing. The BJJ gis are just Judo gis styled a little closer to fit.

6. Dead_pool

There the same, but Judo gi have a slightly different cut, which doesn't matter for kids, or indeed adults really.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

For all intents and purposes they are the same except for the price. A really good judo Gi is still half the price of being a grappling hipster.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

where in the world are you based?

some small companies in the UK do cheaper BJJ gis but i personally would start out with a judo gi

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Judo Gi's are completely fine for training. The only thing I would caution are Judo Gi's are unlikely to be competition legal under IBJJF rules. So if you want to compete, Judo Gi's might not be legal. Personally I would train for a long time first to see if you want to compete.

If you just want to train and not enter comps, the other folks are quite right, Judo Gis are the way to go.

10. Dead_pool

Plain Judo gi's are fine for ibjjf comps.

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I know Roger Gracie use to wear a Judo Gi in comps, but I also heard of a guy who had to change a gi in a local comp because the sleeves weren't quite right.

12. Dead_pool

Ibjjf Gi have to have a certain minimum length sleaves, competition standard Judo gi pass this, cheap starter gi have wizard sleaves which easily pass.

Ibjjf are funny about patches and material, Judo gi are always cotton and are never patched up much.

13. littlebadboy

Unfortunately, I'm in the US midwest.

14. littlebadboy

Thank you everyone! I will look at the Judo Gi option and also even search for used ones.

15. Dead_pool

16. Dead_pool

17. littlebadboy

After trials and errors, ordering and returning, I finally got the perfect fit Judo Gi. It is a Fuji Single Weave. Yep, a FUJI as all of you advised. A size 4 was good enough for my 5'8" 140 lb son. The size 000 was perfect for my 5 year old 3'8" 44 lb daughter. For myself, I have a very old Ouano. It is ripped and stitch fixed with a lot of patches paired with Waldorf pants.

Next question... how do I wash gis?

I think Judo Gis would be great because I am planning to transition my kids to Judo because they might benefit it more in college being an Olympic sport. They can cross train in BJJ on summers when they the gym nearby has summer promos going on.

18. Dead_pool

Wash after every use, Wash cool, line dry, don't tumble dry.

19. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Judogi is the best option in terms of a cheap starter gi for a beginner. In terms of specific BJJ gis, I haven't seen anything cheaper than this (you can buy jacket and trousers separately, for $35 and $23 respectively), but I haven't tried it myself yet, so can't vouch for the quality.

20. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Warrior one out of seattle is where i get my judo gi's and they hold up well and are affordable. The sell hybrid gi's and pure bjj ones as well. I have a hybrid as a competition one. Very similar to some high end ones and very well built