looking for good methods for creating a training plan

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheDudeAbides, Jun 30, 2015.

1. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Valued Member

I am 39 and started training in kempo in January 2015. It's my first MA aside from fencing which I did about 25 years ago. I train in the dojo 5 days per week. I participate in 4 regular classes the 1 conditioning class and one private lesson. I also train for about an hour most mornings.

As a novice I'm looking for feedback on my morning sessions. I break the hour into 5-10 minute blocks with the middle part changing but the first 15 minutes set and change up what follows.

5 minutes of static stretching
    5 minutes of calisthenics
    5-10 minutes of Tai Chi depending on how flexible and awake I feel at 5am
    5 minutes of my newest kempo, form, etc
    5 minutes of whatever kempo, combination etc that I think I need to work on the most.
    5 minutes with whatever technique I can think of that has similar footwork or strikes or whatever I worked on in the prior 5 minutes. For example if my crescent step felt weak I would spend 5 minutes with each combination, defense or kempo that had a crescent step. I will spend time with 4-5 different technique in this way consuming 20-25 minutes.

Is this solid? What things should I look to change. I might add that my bag work is limited. I own a B.O.B. and per my instructor I tend to work him about as hard as a partner in the dojo. The main focus is on accuracy and form. My instructor indicated that he would start introducing bag work for speed and power during my next two ranks. The reason being able to have more skill to better avoid hyper extending or pulling something.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I am by no means a health and fitness expert but I think your routine is far too short and scattered.

On class days I would use your morning time to do a fasted run of around 5-6k (adjust to your fitness level) with a good long stretch afterwards (maybe even yoga?).

eat

live

go to class

on the off days (days you don't train) I'd start the same and add a strength or technique (bag) session in in the afternoon.

make sure to have a few days where you do nothing.. rest is vital!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Sorry Wrong post

4. TheDudeAbides

What is a good method for creating an outline for my plan? To represent what I mean by outline I give an example below.

Monday-
    X minutes stretching
    Hurdler stretch x duration both sides x times
    X stretching
    X stretching

X minutes calisthenics
    X knuckle pushups x times
    X pull up progression x times
    And so on....

X forms
    And so on......

Is that a good way to structure it? What is a good way to structure my calisthenics in order to successfully complete more than 1 pull up?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

First question: how are your joints? You're 39 and your last MA was fencing 25 years ago. Have you kept active from then up to now? I'm saying is are your joints accustomed to impacts of what level?

Love your knees (and your other joints as well). You'll miss them when they're gone.

Second question: what is the most COMMON body mechanic present in most if not all of the techniques in your curriculum? Ditch the new forms, work on those body mechanics to the point you can do them smoothly and subconsciously, like driving.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

have you thought about a calistentics program like "bodyweight 666"?

it got my pullups up

7. TheDudeAbides

As far as flexibility, I'm pretty okay for an out of shape 39 year old. I'm not going to be doing a split anytime soon but I am fairly bendy. I stretch most mornings and 5 nights a week at the dojo. Question two is more troublesome in regard to a good roundhouse kick and maintaining a good crane stance. My base leg gets a bit wobbly right after moving from left to right or from a horse stance. Right side being the more stable of the two. Once in the stance I'm pretty stable on the right but after 30-40 seconds the wobbles come back. I can hold a deep horse stance using a wall to keep elbow back and neck in alignment for about 6-8 minutes and a more practical less deep version for 20 minutes.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Knee Rider

working your core strength/posterior chain with compound lift is what I'd advise.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

check out Ross Enamite's site for bodyweight stuff if that's more you're style and budget (the best thing about bodyweight is it's free!!)

http://rosstraining.com/blog/articles/

9. TheDudeAbides

I definitely lean toward body weight and calisthenics. I think I am mostly looking for a good way to "map out" my day to day plan. I am the guy who will work something until I have succeeded but to do so I need it to be structured. If it's not than I'd skip it. That being said, I think I'm looking for how to structure my 1-2 hours of self directed activities each day. Something like a break down on when and where to insert cardio, stretching, technique, and bag work. Should I do them in this order or that? How much of each hour should each portion take and what is a good way to alternate between days, Monday upper body and core calisthenics Tuesday lower body and core followed by techniques both days Wednesday rest? I've been googling training charts so I can write up my plan and hang it in my garage but haven't found anything.

10. Knee Rider

In my opinion if you are training your martial art regularly then less is more: more efficient, more sustainable, more healthy.

I'd target cardio and one type of strength e.g. endurance.

When you train depends on your schedule. I'd recommend two rest days. I'd train bodyweight exercises on my day off from martial arts class. I recommend a fasted run every other morning. Just do 2-3 bodyweight sessions and 4/3 runs a week.

Think about your schedule and trial a time table over the next month by listening to your body and dropping/upping/moving sessions as appropriate.

Don't overstretch yourself early as you will burn out both mentally and physically :)

As for length of sessions you can blitz yourself in just a few minutes or do steady state for 30 depending on your goals and protocol. Read around the links I sent you or just pick a workout from Ross training's article section.

I do rounds for techniques: shadow boxing and bagwork ... but that might not suit your martial art? Boxing timers are free for smartphone.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  11. TheDudeAbides

Thanks for the input!

12. Knee Rider

My pleasure mate,