Advice on where I can practice aikido rolls or breakfalls

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Greetings!, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings everyone,

You may have seen my previous post today in regard to the hand positioning for aikido rolls. If I could please, I need to ask just one more question today. :)

Like, I imagine, most new aikido students, in order to insure my best progress possible, I desire to be able to practice aikido breakfalls outside of aikido class time.

Thus, I have been practicing on the grass lawn of my apartment complex area. However, I have discovered, to my chagrin, that the complex uses “recycled water” in order to water the grounds around here, which probably explains why after practicing on the grass around here, and sometimes even during practice, I am aware of how my skin begins to itch.

After I then take a soap shower, my skin is OK again. Just a regular water shower (with no soap) or a swim in a pool is never enough to alleviate the itch on my skin. I actually need to take a soap shower afterward.

I have tried covering up my exposed skin as much as possible before I roll along the ground. For instance, I sometimes will wear long sleeve shirts (instead of short sleeves) as well as long pants (instead of shorts). Thus, my arms and legs will not itch. However, my head and scalp area will continue to itch, apparently, because that is the area that is still exposed to the grass as I proceed to do aikido rolls.

The fact that my skin is itchy when exposed to grass in my area indicates to me that this “recycled water” contains probably, God knows what, certain chemicals which probably aren’t good for my skin even for a short period of time.

I have been told that all of the grass in the area, for at least a few mile radius (and perhaps even more), is watered with recycled water.

Therefore, might any of you have suggestions for me as to where, or how, I can practice aikido rolls? Are there alternative places that you can think of for me?

I don’t think that I should do aikido rolls or breakfalls in my apartment unit because of the impact or sound of me along the floor will probably be upsetting to my neighbor underneath me.

Thank you very much for your help.

The best to all,

Greetings!

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Buy a big blanket/sheet and put that on the grass. Your hands and head shouldn't touch the ground when you roll. :)

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tarpaulin if you can get some.

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Do it on any astroturf pitch near you, cricket, 5 a side football,

5. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Dear JWT, Chadderz, and Zombie Kicker,

Thank you very much for your helpful replies.

Zombie Kicker, you mentioned to practice doing rolls on astroturf.

Maybe I was too inexperienced at the time. However, I seem to recall a few months ago when I tried to do an aikido roll on a nearby playing field (astroturf) for youth soccer, it felt rather hard when I landed on the ground. Therefore, from that point on, I thought that I should seek out something like grass. (?)

The best to all,
    Greetings!

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah good point, I never liked rolling in ninjutsu, but if you dont feel safe ,go with the grass and blanket

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Any smooth surface -- hallways (when no one looking), raquetball courts, tennis courts.

When you do it right you won't feel a thing.

8. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

For ordinary breakfalls I practice in my living room on a yoga mat on top of a rug. A breakfall shouldn't have too much of a footprint and I can usually get enough space by pushing the furniture to the edges of the room. I live in an old house in the UK which has a long hallway leading to the front door. A couple of camping mats (the closed cell foam insulation type) will give me enough of a target for rolls and the four foot width gives me an incentive to roll in a straight line.

9. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

AikiMac and Karatebadger,

I greatly appreciate you continuing to give me helpful information.

I have by now received all the information that I need for the time being and am therefore very satisfied. However, please feel free amongst yourselves to continue this interesting discussion if you like.

Again, thank you very much for everything.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It might just be contact allergy with grass, take a piriton and see if that helps.

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yoga mat is good for rolls. You can practice breakfalls as rolls into the breakfall position. Less noisy to the neighbors.