setting up Judo in bjj tournament

Discussion in 'Judo' started by roninmaster, Mar 2, 2015.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

We introduced a Judo class to our academy almost a year or so ago and I'm a super fan of it. I feel like Judo and BJJ being separate art forms is almost a disservice. Regardless, I'm trying to implement more Judo standup into my BJJ game. I never got the chance to wrestle so I figure the Judo being something I get the chance to practice a lot more would be the better format to base more of my standup game on.

I, like many judoka in Jiujitsu tournaments am mostly afraid of being shot in on during my setups. my single leg has always been my go to takedown and I plan to definitively still use it, and have been working a duck under single setup for tani-otoshi. My other consistent moves are sumigaeshi,and uki-waza however thats about it right now. ( working a harai-goshi,

My basic question is A.) how can I stand and do my judo setups in the gi without giving up my lower body to wrestler shots.

B.) What are some good ways to set those aforementioned techniques up in a BJJ environment.

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

For a) the answer is "like a wrestler" until you get a solid grip. Once you have a collar or sleeve then the threat of the outside shot is gone and you can stand straight up to work your throws. Though in a BJJ context you still have to watch the closed guard jump if you start bringing your hips in.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO, you should always move your both hands close to both of your opponent's hands. This way, since your hands are in your opponent's "moving path", when he attacks you, you can "interrupt" his hands movement in the early stage (before his hands have change to generate speed and power). This strategy works against a striker as well.

Also put your leading hand in front of your leading leg knee can be a good defense for single leg. When your opponent shots in, you can use that arm to under-hook or push his shoulder.

The moment that you get your upper collar lapel grip, if your opponent shots at your leg, you can just use "downward pull" to drag him down and let him to "kiss the ground".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

If you can work on it I would always suggest Uchi Mata too. I've seen it work wonders in a BJJ tournament (to be fair the guy was an experienced Judo player). It is (for me anyway), easier to switch to another takedown if Uchi Mata doesn't work too. It's high percentage and can work as a nice counter to wrestling takedowns too (see from 2:02 as an example).:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcarl3Igv_A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcarl3Igv_A[/ame]

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) Until you establish good Gi grips you stop wrestling shots by using good wrestling posture and movement.

Once you have gi grips you can stiff arm off a long range shoot and single legs are easier to defend.

2) From there your attacks still have to take into account wrestling attacks,
    as well guard pulls and jumps.

you will get all this by drilling -

a) wrestling/sprawling,
    b) high stance grip fighting for dominant control
    c) high stance grip fighting for dominant control, add in throwing, I like mostly foot sweeps and sutemi waza.

d) low stance grip fighting adding in wrestling
    e) high and low stance grip fighting, wrestling shots and adding in guard pulling/standing passing.

what connects all these together is posture and movement in base, get that down and everything is just easy.

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Over-the-back belt grips are great for countering shots with throws, sacrifices and trips. Although it's severely discouraged in judo competition anymore.
    Just have to have the makikomi ready to counter duck unders to back waist locks. If the makikomi fails, you've got the kimura there too.
    And as has been said, uchimata (and variations like rolling kneebars, scissors and grapevine throws) is a great shot or single leg counter. Just requires quick reactions and commitment.

Also, use your forehead to turn his face and forehead to the side. If you're perpendicular to him with your forehead in his cheek or jaw, you can attack freely and it's very difficult for him to respond until he squares back up.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I don't think makkikomi is a good idea for BJJ comp at all, given that you only get two for the throw and giving your back will almost certainly cost the match.

8. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

After a proper makikomi you should land on top of them but i would worry about a ura nage or suplex style counter.
    Tawara gaeshi is a solid counter to a single as well

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Some judoka, particularly smaller ones, like a double sleeve grip, which might be good against shots. I've never made it work for me and I don't like it, but try it. You could also experiment with a bicep and sleeve grip which also controls the arms well. That's old school medieval stuff there. Rather than the "normal" bog-standard kuzushi that we all start uchikomi with where both hands pull towards you, the lead hand pushes the opponent's bicep away and the rear hand pulls as normal, stretching the opponent out. It's pretty cool and breaks the opponent's structure well.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You can do this from a normal lapel/sleeve grip too. You pull with the sleeve and push the opponents head away with the lapel hand. Works well with hopping ouchi and osoto attacks.

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Yeah, pulling the collar back over their shoulder is good too for ouchi gari too. :)