How long will it take to get good in Muay Thai?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Vinny Lugo, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

How long will it take to get good at Muay Thai? I go to class 3 times a week and also spar once a week in addition to that. Given this how long will it take to....

1) Be good enough to use it for self defense?

2) Be good enough to compete?

3)Even though there are no belts, be the equivalent of a black belt level in MT?

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Anywhere between a year till never, Vinny!

I wouldn't worry mate. Just train enjoy and it will all fall into place.:meditate:

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

The instructors tell me I am progressively getting better. So definitely not never.

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well never say never :p

I was speaking generally rather than about you specifically, of course. I just mean there are no sure things and it's all up to you. I'm sure you'll be fine. Your own goalposts will always be shifting.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It will take as long a it will take.

Seriously, who is supposed to answer you a question like that?
    It depends on too many variables.

Doesn't mean you get to a point where you can use it.
    Could also mean: "Great, you finally managed to seperate "left" from "right", you're getting a better!"

6. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

I've been doing just boxing for about 9ish months and I believe I'm only just beginning to start learning it properly. It takes a long time. Hitting pads and heavy bags, shadow boxing are all fun. But when you start using your techniques against an opponent at least as good as you, you realise that heavy bags and pads don't fight back lol. I finally know now what a "resisting opponent" means. And that's only at about 30% intensity though I've had about two spars at 80% and I was awful. You do get good at taking hits without flinching. It takes time. Patience grasshopper ;)

7. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Lol @ grasshopper. I sparred at 30% and I got shut down. I haven't gone full contact yet but I've been invited to. Full contact scares me.

8. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

How long did it take you to get good

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm not good (hopefully yet).

But I can do *really* good: Blocking with my face! :cool:

10. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Can you go toe to toe with fellow students and not get destroyed?

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Depends on the other students.

You try to look at MA and your training from a nearly mathematical viewpoint and that won't work.

Different people make different progress in their arts and there's no way in changing that.
    Some people take longer for certain techniques than others; some people can take a beating better than others; some people will be more comfortable with close contact to the body of the partner than others (which will make a difference too); some people have some natural strength and "killer instinct" and will knock you out without having ever trained in anything; some people...

I'm sure you get what I mean.

Chances are just as good that you'll get incredibly good in a short period of time as they are that you will not be able to throw a proper punch after a year.

Keep training and focus more on having fun then being concerned about being an awesome killer machine.
    Thinking so much and nearly frantic about it, is just a guarantee that you will take longer for whatever.

12. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I didnt make the killer machine thread. It was another dude

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Equivalent of a black belt in Muay Thai? You'll think you are good until you go out to Thailand and get wrecked by someone half your size, then realized you're still a beginner. :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  14. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

The same can be said of most karate black belts in America

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Your question reminds me of the proverbial story in kung fu:

The student asks his master how long it takes most students to master the system. The master replies, "15 years." The student is shocked, and asks, "How long would it take me if I work twice as hard?" The master replies, "30 years!" The student protests, "But what if I practice 3 times longer and harder than all the other students, then how long will it take me?" The master smiles and answers, "Then it will take you 45 years."

:rolleyes: It's the wrong question, amigo, because it really takes your focus off of the training of *you.*

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You missed out the punchline "a person in such a hurry learns slowly"

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm aware of that.
    And he used "fighting machine", I think ;)

It was just my choice of words here.
    My point still stands though.

18. RogerKBK(FMT)

RogerKBK(FMT) New Member

Equivalent of a black belt in MT?Took me a second,but I understand more of what your asking.Seems like your asking how long will it take be as good as those that are experts in Muay Thai.

Theres no telling how long,because its not just about learning then applying techniques in training or fighting.Its about mastering what your taught.If you hope to become at the level of an expert you can't just train till you get the technique right.Instead you train till you can't get it wrong.

It won't always be easy,nor will it come overnight.But as you continue to train and progress,you will get closer to being as skilled as some experts are Muay Thai.But even then,you still have to bare in mind,that there is always going to be someone out there who is more skilled than you are.

As for your fear of full contact sparring,if you can ask your buds to start you off with kickboxing itself(No knees or elbows).Then once you get used to that throw in some knees.As for elbows,unless you have pads and your Kru is up for it in prep of a fight,leave em alone in sparring.But the main task is to just continue to spar.Don't focus too hard on getting hit,because its gonna happen and you'll freeze or blindbox if you do...atleast when you starting out.Try thinking of how you can counter or look for openings to strike.But be sure to keep your guard up.

Aside that just enjoy Muay Thai and train whenever you can.

19. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Thanks for the advice. This was really good advice.

Also I have no fear of full contact sparring.